gay footballers

3 hours ago, Mad Capsule said:

With this chat opened again, I can certainly see Paul Hartley with his beard and continually increasing weight as a top Bear target in the community.

3 hours ago, Mad Capsule said:

With this chat opened again, I can certainly see Paul Hartley with his beard and continually increasing weight as a top Bear target in the community.

...so you keep saying

• Replies 765
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not the same, but the closest analogy I can think of is how many Rangers fans threatened to boycott the club when they signed Mo Johnson? How many actually did?

I think the 8% is nonsense. Even the most homophobic scum might moan but they'd still support their team, just as racists carried on supporting their teams when black players started to get selected regularly.

The headline says that the large percentage of supporters "Would welcome" gay players at the club, and then straight away states that 82% of the supporters who took the survey "Would have no issue" with a  gay player at the club. I wonder what the actual question was! Also if you are actually that big of an idiot to not support your team as there is a gay player then you probably would be too stupid/unapproachable to complete a poll. 

The problem is also to do with how opposing sets of supporters would act towards a homosexual player, there is a 100% certainty that an openly gay player would be on the receiving end of homophobic abuse during games up and down the UK. Perhaps not during every game, but theres no way they wouldn't get abuse sent their way from drunks / idiots who can't be completely kept away from matches.

I distinctly remember the constant scab chants at Johnny Martin but I honestly can't recall any large scale abuse aimed at Fashanu. There must have been some but I honestly can't remember. Maybe that song drowned the other shouts out ?

I don't really care what someones sexuality is. Also i don't think we should be pressurising gay players of ANY sport to come out. 

If they feel comfortable, they'll do so. And journalists writing articles like this aren't going to help. 

Heard the poll being discussed on the radio, have to agree with others on here that it's similar to rangers signing a Catholic or teams signing ethnic minorities, some fans said they'd boycott/stay away but once it happened they didn't. I don't think this is really an issue anymore except for the tabloids and even then once 1 player plays for an English premier league side then the issue is gone for good. 

8 minutes ago, knee jerk reaction said:

Heard the poll being discussed on the radio, have to agree with others on here that it's similar to rangers signing a Catholic or teams signing ethnic minorities, some fans said they'd boycott/stay away but once it happened they didn't. I don't think this is really an issue anymore except for the tabloids and even then once 1 player plays for an English premier league side then the issue is gone for good. 

As long as he isn't an immigrant.

15 hours ago, mizfit said:

I don't really care what someones sexuality is. Also i don't think we should be pressurising gay players of ANY sport to come out. 

If they feel comfortable, they'll do so. And journalists writing articles like this aren't going to help. 

I agree, no-one expects heterosexual footballers to declare to the world their sexuality, so why should/would gay players? And the more someone coming out gets 'built up' to be a big moment I would imagine it makes it less likely that anyone would.

I do think people who write about it generally have good intentions and want to make it a better environment for gay players, but I'm not sure they are really helping.

1 minute ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

I agree, no-one expects heterosexual footballers to declare to the world their sexuality, so why should/would gay players? And the more someone coming out gets 'built up' to be a big moment I would imagine it makes it less likely that anyone would.

Because it's not about "declaring their sexuality" per se. It's about them being able to be seen in public with their partner and nobody batting an eyelid. 

For as long as being "straight" is seen as the norm, there will always be a concept of "coming out", whether that be implicit (as above) or explicit (via a public declaration).

Very much like the fact i dont care about the sex life of my dentist, postman, mp etc etc I really couldnt care less what sexuality my teams players are. Anyone in this day and age with an issue over anyones sexuality/religion etc needs their head examined.

Absolutely this. Have to wonder how much of an influence agents are in the equation. They're more interested in the commercial viability of a player and you'd have to think some have being advised not to come out in case it affects their marketability. Irony is the first high profile player to come out would probably be in high demand.

8 minutes ago, The Master said:

Because it's not about "declaring their sexuality" per se. It's about them being able to be seen in public with their partner and nobody batting an eyelid. 

For as long as being "straight" is seen as the norm, there will always be a concept of "coming out", whether that be implicit (as above) or explicit (via a public declaration).

I agree, and until society changes significantly that will be the case. My general point, and worry, is that the media are building the first 'coming out' - in whatever way it may be - as such a big moment that players may be reluctant because they know how much attention it is going to get in the media, on top of any worries about the way some fans might react. Like I said, I think most people who write about it are trying to challenge moronic attitudes and make it easier for players to come out, but at the same time it is continuing to build up the first coming out and I worry this is just making it less likely that someone will feel comfortable enough to do so.

There was a thing in the paper today saying that lower league teams could end up quids in should a player come out as gay. Yes, they may lose 8% of bigotted arseholes from their support but the interest from the gay community nationwide would see a net gain in finances through merchandise etc.

Why would "the gay community" start buying Bristol Rovers strips just because one of their players comes out as gay?  If they're football fans, they'll already have a team, and if they're not then I can't see why they'd be interested.

Archived