Download 2016

Illuminati

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see they've added a new beer to the festival "dogtooth" still don't know much about it, hopefully it's an Ale though and I won't have to suffer through Tuborg for the entire festival...

Bands I'd like to see, Sunday is going to be shite for clashes.

Friday: Alien Ant Farm, Babymetal, Killswitch Engage, Heck, Kadaver, Glassjaw, Korn, Rammstein

Saturday: Atreyu, Lawnmower Deth, Tesseract, Megadeth, Deftones, Sabbath. Municipal Waste will clash with either Sabbath or Deftones so as much as I love them, no chance.

Sunday: Witchsorrow, Grand Magus, Amon Amarth, Shinedown, Periphery, Breaking Benjamin, Electric Wizard, Gojira, Ghost, Napalm Death Disturbed, Nightwish, Iron Maiden.

As ever there's one day (Saturday) where I'll have little I want to see and end up just going to see some bands I've never heard of for the craic, and then there's Sunday where I've no chance of seeing everyone I want to. The definites are Amon Amarth, Breaking Benjamin, Gojira, Ghost & Maiden, but if Grand Magus & Amon Amarth clash I'll be in a major huff.

Stage times are out which means I've been able to plan my weekend. A bit easier than I thought.

Friday: RavenEye, Hill Valley High, Alient Ant Farm, Babymetal, Killswitch Engage, The Amity Affliction, Glassjaw, Korn, Rammstein

Saturday: Avatar, Beartooth, Black Peaks, NXT, TesseracT, Bury Tomorrow, NXT, Architects, Deftones, Black Sabbath

Sunday: Vukovi, Grand Magus, Delain, Halestorm, Shinedown, Disturbed, Billy Talent, Jane's Addiction, Iron Maiden

Might switch Korn for a combo of Korn/Skinny Lister/NXT instead.

Friday's looking a pretty solid main stage day for me. Saturday I can see being on stage two before heading over for Sabbath. Sunday looks an absolute shambles with clashes all over the shop. Going to be stuck running between the main stage and tent all afternoon by the look of things. Definitely want to catch Gojira and Ghost, but I think I'll have to sacrifice Frank Carter and The Rattlesnakes in order to see Halestorm. Guys I'm going with seem happy enough to stick it out at the main stage all three days.

• 3 weeks later...

Great weekend, almost killed by the weather and Flybe.

We were planning to fly down to East Midlands form Glasgow, half-jagged in the airport and about 30mins before take-off Flybe decided to cancel the flight and leave us with no other alternative than to go on the replacement bus service to Derby. What was supposed to be a chilled out day before the festival turned into a 7 hour nightmare of a bus journey - but we got a carryout and tried to make the best of a bad situation.

Got asbsolutely drenched at the downpour before Babymetal on Friday, absoluetely horrendous weather, but managed to stay it out. Korn and Rammstein were particular highlights of Friday as were Kadavar.

Was staying at a hotel in Derby so managed to dry off and get proper waterproofs for the Saturday onslaught of rain and misery. Got wrecked and had a good time, particular highlights were Rival Sons, Megadeth and Sabbath.

Sunday much the same; suitably geared up for the punishing weather and sludge that had encompased the whole site. Particular highlight were Disturbed. I didn't think Iron Maiden were all that great to be honest, 5th time seeing them and probably the poorest. I don't mind seeing and hearing new songs, in fact, I quite like that maiden switch up the set for album tours, but there was just a little "too" much from Book of Souls.

Band of the weekend easily goes to Rammstein, then I would say, probably Disturbed.

Stayed in Derby, so missed a few of the bands through travelling in each day. Band of the weekend by an absolute mile for me was Gojira on Sunday in the tent. Skindred were the best on Saturday and Friday's high spot was probably Korn, although I did enjoy Killswitch Engage earlier on. Liked all three headliners, but the sound quality issues on the main stage kind of spoiled it a bit as we were down from that crackling speaker near the Bar 666 area for each of them. Saw a couple of decent bands in the Dogtooth tent though.

• 3 months later...

Green Day are playing BST so it's highly unlikely they'll do both. SOAD are a cert and Aerosmith are likely. Prophets of Rage to sub SOAD if they play.

Avenged Sevenfold are a possibility with a new album on the way, although there's a danger of over-saturation with a tour in January and if Aerosmith play as well that'd be two of the three 2014 headliners so not sure they'll want to repeat so closely. As unlikely as it is, I'm still hoping for Guns N' Roses.

I think you've got the three there. Think Green Day will do T in the Park btw, along with BST. It'd need a strong undercard with those three headliners. Avenged don't appeal to me at all, Aerosmith would be a curiosity, and SOAD are the one headliner I could really get behind. But Prophets of Rage would make a good start, and if they have Rancid and In Flames on there, that'd help.

EDIT: Reckon Guns N Roses will either do their own thing, or do the late summer. A lot of early summer bands being leaked and confirmed, and they aren't among them. Metallica are apparently not doing anything until the 2nd half of the year too over this neck of the woods.

Aye, it'd be a relatively weak set of headliners. I love SOAD and they're the main attraction for me, but their stock has fallen and to be perceived a strong set of headliners it'd need to be just one of them and A7x with another band the size of Aerosmith or bigger rather than the two of them and Aerosmith, though if SOAD do have a new album coming it could increase their appeal.

Of course being perceived as weak headliners may mean fewer ticket sales which obviously the festival organisers don't want, but it'll make the experience those attending wso much better. 2011 and 2014 have the been the weakest years for ticket sales by far recently and they were so enjoyable partly because it was a piece of piss to get around, get drinks etc and more importantly because less budget spent on headliners meant a quality undercard.

I very much doubt i'll ever be back to Donington. The weather has been absolutely abysmal the last few years - would much rather go to a euro festival.

2006/2007/2008/2009/2010/2012/2015/2016. That'll do.

I very much doubt i'll ever be back to Donington. The weather has been absolutely abysmal the last few years - would much rather go to a euro festival.

2006/2007/2008/2009/2010/2012/2015/2016. That'll do.

I went to Rock Am Ring this year the weather wasn't any better! I went last year as well though and it was absolutely brilliant.

Archived