Mousetrap (The Play - Not the Game)

Goes without saying, but massive spoilers ahead...

Finally got to see the longest running play in the world in London at the weekend. I loved Agatha Christie books when I was younger so I thought this would be a shoo-in for an enjoyable evening of murder, intrigue suspense.

Instead, I got an evening of soul-crushing boredom. My girlfriend fell asleep before the end (no mean feat given the world's most uncomfortable seats) and while I stayed awake throughout, I was incredulous at all the plot-holes, coincidences and unanswered questions.

The twist at the end was that the police officer investigating the murders was actually the murderer. I didn't foresee this - not because he was the person you'd last suspect - but because his acting as a polis was so atrocious that I didn't think he would be any worse as a psychotic serial killer. My mistake - he was even worse. I've seen better performances in school nativities.

Anyone else see it and like it / not like it?

Saw it when it did its anniversary tour a few years back and came to the Theatre Royal in Glasgow. Was okay but nothing special. Better than Death on the Nile on stage though. Very disappointed in that.

Going to see 'And Then There Were None' at the Theatre Royal tonight. Hoping that is better.

PS Yes, I know I'm confirming the Thistle fan, lovey, stereotype. :-)

Saw it when it did its anniversary tour a few years back and came to the Theatre Royal in Glasgow. Was okay but nothing special. Better than Death on the Nile on stage though. Very disappointed in that.

Going to see 'And Then There Were None' at the Theatre Royal tonight. Hoping that is better.

PS Yes, I know I'm confirming the Thistle fan, lovey, stereotype. :-)

Been reading about The Mousetrap. Only one performance per year is allowed outside London, so you were "lucky". Can't believe there was a big song and dance about the Wikipedia page revealing the identity of the murderer. The play's been running for 60 odd years ffs. I think anyone who actually cares would probably have seen it by now.

Let me know how And Then There Were None goes. That's far and away her best book. I have a copy of it somewhere with its more politically incorrect title. I wonder if it might be worth something. There was a vote on the BBC recently for the best book she's written and this came top by far - so I believe they're planning to make (yet another) film of it.

Listened to a bit on r4 this morning with a wifie egyptologist. She mentioned that Christie based one of her stuff on a series of letters sent in Egypt @2000bc.

The fact the mousetrap is shit, therefore does not surprise me.

Saw ATTWN years ago with Richard Johnson, Graeme Crowden, Gemma Jones, David Ross and Tara Fitzgerald.

The butler doesn't do it!

The second best book Agatha Christie I read was A Murder is Announced. I usually guess the murderer by simply plumping for the least obvious person, but this book threw me a major curveball.

Basically, the book starts with an attempted murder. It turns out that the victim was the person responsible for staging her own attempted assassination and the rest of the murders in the book.

Listened to a bit on r4 this morning with a wifie egyptologist. She mentioned that Christie based one of her stuff on a series of letters sent in Egypt @2000bc.

Christie was married to an Egyptologist and went on several digs there. Death Comes as the End is set in ancient Egypt and is the same yet different from her normal canon of work.

I've never seen the play not played the game. It's not on my bucket list to do either either.

My missus likes the musicals & I have had to accompany her on several occasions but I must say I did enjoy Blood Brorhers. Everything else is shit.

Grimbo

Been reading about The Mousetrap. Only one performance per year is allowed outside London, so you were "lucky". Can't believe there was a big song and dance about the Wikipedia page revealing the identity of the murderer. The play's been running for 60 odd years ffs. I think anyone who actually cares would probably have seen it by now.

Let me know how And Then There Were None goes. That's far and away her best book. I have a copy of it somewhere with its more politically incorrect title. I wonder if it might be worth something. There was a vote on the BBC recently for the best book she's written and this came top by far - so I believe they're planning to make (yet another) film of it.

It was very good. Well acted and well staged, especially the second of the three acts.

I've seen 48 musicals in my life and Blood Brothers is by far the worst thing I've ever seen. An awful awful production.

The Mousetrap keeps going as in comparison to other West End shows its cheap as chips to run - one set, small cast and makes do with the tourist trade coming to see it so they can say they have seen it and be a part of history. If you opened it now it would close within 3 months as its an exceptionally slight, if enjoyable, work.

Chances are only Les Miserables and Mamma Mia are going to get anywhere near The Mousetrap in terms of longevity and even they have downsized over the years. Can't see any play getting anywhere near it.

I've seen 48 musicals in my life and Blood Brothers is by far the worst thing I've ever seen. An awful awful production.

The Mousetrap keeps going as in comparison to other West End shows its cheap as chips to run - one set, small cast and makes do with the tourist trade coming to see it so they can say they have seen it and be a part of history. If you opened it now it would close within 3 months as its an exceptionally slight, if enjoyable, work.

Chances are only Les Miserables and Mamma Mia are going to get anywhere near The Mousetrap in terms of longevity and even they have downsized over the years. Can't see any play getting anywhere near it.

f**k knows what a bad production is but I love the story & the songs are no bad. So mr cultural clever clogs, what's the best of the 48 you seen?

Grimbo

f**k knows what a bad production is but I love the story & the songs are no bad. So mr cultural clever clogs, what's the best of the 48 you seen?

Gotta sing, Gotta dance!!

Premier League

My Fair Lady, Billy Elliot, Here Lies Love, The Producers

Championship

Me and My Girl, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, A Little Night Music, La Cage Aux Folles, Once, Starlight Express, Mary Poppins, Fiddler on the Roof, The Lion King, Hairspray, Jersey Boys, Betty Blue Eyes, Matilda, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Avenue Q, Tutti Frutti, The Drowsey Chaperone, Cats, The Woman in White ,Miss Saigon, Zorro, Love Never Dies, Singin' in the Rain, Top Hat, Annie Get Your Gun, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, Spamalot

League 1

Evita, Les Miserables, We Will Rock You, The Phantom of the Opera, The Full Monty, Our House, Jerry Springer : The Opera, Made in Dagenham

League 2

The Witches of Eastwick, Chicago, The Lord of the Rings, Jekyll & Hyde, Guys and Dolls, Wicked, Saturday Night Fever, Flora the Red Menace

The Lowland League

Blood Brothers

But that's just my opinion and they are not in any particular order within each group but the 2001 production of My Fair Lady with Pryce, Waterman etc was a majestic evening.

...and they are all of the ones I have seen live on stage in professional productions.

Archived