Mousetrap (The Play - Not the Game)

I've seen 48 musicals in my life and Blood Brothers is by far the worst thing I've ever seen. An awful awful production.

The Mousetrap keeps going as in comparison to other West End shows its cheap as chips to run - one set, small cast and makes do with the tourist trade coming to see it so they can say they have seen it and be a part of history. If you opened it now it would close within 3 months as its an exceptionally slight, if enjoyable, work.

Chances are only Les Miserables and Mamma Mia are going to get anywhere near The Mousetrap in terms of longevity and even they have downsized over the years. Can't see any play getting anywhere near it.

^^^A friend of Dorothy.

Is that a grenade in your pocket or are you just pleased to see me?

Saw it when it did its anniversary tour a few years back and came to the Theatre Royal in Glasgow. Was okay but nothing special. Better than Death on the Nile on stage though. Very disappointed in that.

Going to see 'And Then There Were None' at the Theatre Royal tonight. Hoping that is better.

PS Yes, I know I'm confirming the Thistle fan, lovey, stereotype. :-)

I saw that at the Dundee Rep a couple of years ago. It was actually pretty good.

• 2 years later...

I was a big fan of Agatha Christie novels as a kid and wanted to see "The Mousetrap" for years,  but it's a long way to go from Australia to see a play! For the diamond anniversary in 2012, the play toured Australia. I was so excited to finally see "the world's longest-running play", but what a letdown. "Oh well", I thought, "at least it was cheaper than flying to England!" I went with a friend and later that night we were discussing the play when it suddenly hit me that the twist ending was impossible, going by what had happened earlier (I won't spoil it, and to be honest, I've forgotten the exact details - it is a very forgettable play). I foolishly thought I might have been the first person to realise it didn't make sense. I checked Wikipedia and sure enough, the plot's inconsistency is well-known. Christie knew, but didn't care, which really annoyed me. I guess she couldn't be bothered re-writing it. It would have been difficult, I guess. Maybe impossible to make it all fit.  But I felt really let down and ripped off and I realised why audiences are asked not to reveal the ending (apart from the obvious reason)! I noticed just now that all that info about the glaring plot hole has been removed from Wikipedia. I can't believe this play has run for so long. If it were written by anyone but Christie, it would be laughed off the stage in less than a week. "Witness For the Prosecution", now THERE'S a GOOD Agatha Christie play!

On 21/10/2015 at 14:50, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Goes without saying, but massive spoilers ahead...

Finally got to see the longest running play in the world in London at the weekend. I loved Agatha Christie books when I was younger so I thought this would be a shoo-in for an enjoyable evening of murder, intrigue suspense.

Instead, I got an evening of soul-crushing boredom. My girlfriend fell asleep before the end (no mean feat given the world's most uncomfortable seats) and while I stayed awake throughout, I was incredulous at all the plot-holes, coincidences and unanswered questions.

The twist at the end was that the police officer investigating the murders was actually the murderer. I didn't foresee this - not because he was the person you'd last suspect - but because his acting as a polis was so atrocious that I didn't think he would be any worse as a psychotic serial killer. My mistake - he was even worse. I've seen better performances in school nativities.

Anyone else see it and like it / not like it?

Thought this was a new thread but never mind. Yes, saw it with the missus in April 2015. 4 nights in London and wasted one of them watching this. Enid Blyton for grown ups springs to mind. Middle class pish :lol:

Took the wife to see this about 20 years ago at St Martins as she is a big crime/Agatha Christie fan. Biggest load of pish (I hated Agatha Christie before that anyway).

My abiding memory was sitting in a shitty little lseat about 200m directly above the stage in 45°C.

I've read a few of Christie's books over the years. Some of the best are actually the more obscure ones that don't feature either Poirot or Marple. Would recommend Towards Zero and Why Didn't They Ask Evans?

On ‎21‎/‎10‎/‎2015 at 14:50, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Goes without saying, but massive spoilers ahead...

Finally got to see the longest running play in the world in London at the weekend. I loved Agatha Christie books when I was younger so I thought this would be a shoo-in for an enjoyable evening of murder, intrigue suspense.

Instead, I got an evening of soul-crushing boredom. My girlfriend fell asleep before the end (no mean feat given the world's most uncomfortable seats) and while I stayed awake throughout, I was incredulous at all the plot-holes, coincidences and unanswered questions.

The twist at the end was that the police officer investigating the murders was actually the murderer. I didn't foresee this - not because he was the person you'd last suspect - but because his acting as a polis was so atrocious that I didn't think he would be any worse as a psychotic serial killer. My mistake - he was even worse. I've seen better performances in school nativities.

Anyone else see it and like it / not like it?

You're a large fan of Agatha Christie which probably means of you've rad The Murder of Roger Ackroyd, which means you have no right to be outraged at improbable killers in her stories.

36 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

You're a large fan of Agatha Christie which probably means of you've rad The Murder of Roger Ackroyd, which means you have no right to be outraged at improbable killers in her stories.

Nope. Can't stand Poirot. I'm more of a Miss Marple / Tommy and Tuppence Beresford kinda guy. 

Archived