Big Peterhead Thread

Right, all the other clubs seem to get one of these when they are doing crap so I don't want us missing out. Also we never seem to have a general thread so this can maybe double up for the rest of the season.

Really thought we would do better this season as I put down a lot of our problems last season to not having enough players competing for positions but that doesn't seem to have worked out. Have to criticise the manager for the defensive problems though. I know you can't go out and sign every player you want but we didn't seem to have a backup if we didn't get Kerr again so we only have 2 proper full backs in the squad. This has led to too much chopping and changing at the back and players playing out of position, I think we have only played with the same back 4 in 4 games. Stevenson not being in form has not helped either as we really have lacked the creativity from midfield to feed our forwards.

What are the other Peterhead fans thoughts and how do you think we can turn things around?

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The old adage, "we're too good to go down" seems to be quite appropriate to describe us at the moment. It will become a distinct possibility if we don't stop the downward spiral that we are in at the moment. We have to get back to basics and learn to defend better and not give away silly goals. Well organised we may well be but our inability to kill off a team when on top is costing us dearly and when you have a leaky defence like ours, we need at least a couple of goals to give ourselves a chance.

Personally, I would start with McAllister and Rodgers up front as this seemed to work at times last season and perhaps try Blockley at left back until Noble regains his fitness/form again as he is becoming easily exposed. Midfield is a real enigma and several combinations have been tried to no great success.

It is too early to push the panic button, however, the finger is hovering and we must try and at least win our home games, with our last win at home being in August against Dunfermline!!

Peterhead disnae have a station?

Shockeroony.

SNP to blame for that.

Even Galashiels has got wan noo.

Largest town in Scotland without one. I don't think the lack of train station is to blame for our form though.

McInally was my outside bet for first manager to be punted. However not sure why fans are panicking yet, only 5 points off 3rd place and from what I've seen they are no worse than 5 or 6 other sides. Their defence is significantly better than the likes of Brechin, Cowdenbeath and Stenny which over the season will show.

I guess with Albion Rovers doing better than expected there are a few clubs getting a bit worried that there will be a surprise team getting relegated this year and are getting a bit twitchy about it.

McInally was my outside bet for first manager to be punted. However not sure why fans are panicking yet, only 5 points off 3rd place and from what I've seen they are no worse than 5 or 6 other sides. Their defence is significantly better than the likes of Brechin, Cowdenbeath and Stenny which over the season will show.

I guess with Albion Rovers doing better than expected there are a few clubs getting a bit worried that there will be a surprise team getting relegated this year and are getting a bit twitchy about it.

To be honest I don't think anyone is panicking yet, but we haven't won in the league since August so I think we are just starting to grumble.

Cowdenbeath were the worst team I have seen at Somerset in a long time, including ourselves from last season, which shows you how bad Cowdenbeath were.

I can't see anyone other than them going down.

In the first quarter you have taken 4 points from six off of the top two, and you have Rory McAllister. You will be fine.

Unless you end up 9th and bomb the playoffs then i really doubt it, a solid team who will pick up enough points one way or the other to be clear of trouble (still cant why not the playoffs though)

Cowden though :unsure2:

Peterhead won't go down, too many drawn games though so will probably finish mid table.

Drawing games can be killer, it's easy to think in such a tight league that a draw is okay away from home but it's never going to progress you up the league. Both ourselves and Brechin got a lot of praise for going on long unbeaten runs last year, but in the end neither of them actually amounted to anything because they contained so many draws. Brechin drew 14 out of 36 last season which is crazy, compared with Morton who lost 4 more games but only drew 3 times out of 36. Not being happy with drawing games and getting so many late winners was what won them the league, whereas other teams like Brechin and ourselves probably had the 'we'll take a point' attitude too often which cost us a play-off place and cost Brechin a shot at the title.

No idea if this applies to Peterhead this season, but it's something I notice a lot with fans in pre-match threads saying they'll be happy to take a point away at mid-table teams, quite a damaging attitude to have I think. Particularly when away games in this league involve playing in front of 400-700 fans, no atmosphere and half the time a standard sized plastic pitch that teams train on all the time, it's hardly much/any of a disadvantage playing away.

Peterhead might struggle this season, they were terrible in their 3-0 win against us and scored from 3 mistakes from the keeper, but to consider relegation a possibility is just daft. You still have Brechin and Cowdenbeath down there with you.

Archived