World cup 2018 campaign

So then what exactly is the purpose of our full-backs, if not to just provide an 'out ball', or someone to take it as far up the park as possible? That's as short-termist as binning the whole team, and starting from scratch. It's an endemic feature of our neglect and arrogance that two of our defenders, largely aren't in the team for their defending.

Clearly no attempt is endeavoured to mould what is meant to be our best defence into a cohesive, communicative unit, capable of even the most basic tactic of stepping up for offside, or holding their line with an extremely defensive format laid in front of them.

I'm sick to the back teeth of hearing what brilliant attacking players Hutton and Robertson in particular are. Yes, AR scored against England. Big wow. Had he marked Chamberlain properly throughout, nullified his threat and forced pressure on their midfield and back four to find solutions, perhaps we could have forced enough errors to actually have a chance at winning the match.

If you're going to advocate defensive football, at least try to get it right. We just look shite if a player who's had his arse handed to him all night turns up and scores with ten minutes left, as it's clear something's amiss.

• Replies 873
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So then what exactly is the purpose of our full-backs, if not to just provide an 'out ball', or someone to take it as far up the park as possible? That's as short-termist as binning the whole team, and starting from scratch. It's an endemic feature of our neglect and arrogance that two of our defenders, largely aren't in the team for their defending.

Clearly no attempt is endeavoured to mould what is meant to be our best defence into a cohesive, communicative unit, capable of even the most basic tactic of stepping up for offside, or holding their line with an extremely defensive format laid in front of them.

I'm sick to the back teeth of hearing what brilliant attacking players Hutton and Robertson in particular are. Yes, AR scored against England. Big wow. Had he marked Chamberlain properly throughout, nullified his threat and forced pressure on their midfield and back four to find solutions, perhaps we could have forced enough errors to actually have a chance at winning the match.

If you're going to advocate defensive football, at least try to get it right. We just look shite if a player who's had his arse handed to him all night turns up and scores with ten minutes left, as it's clear something's amiss.

You do know that the concept of an attacking full-back isn't just limited to Hutton and Robertson, right?  It's pretty pervasive in the modern game.  It's used in our case because we don't really play with true wingers, often with players who want to cut in and support the forwards.  Without attacking fullbacks we'd essentially have no width whatsoever.  So...yeah.

It's not even that relevant to the Gibraltar example.  Strachan made an almighty f**k-up with the system that day.  I'm probably stretching, but I presume he watched them play and believed that he could take out a central defender, put a player further up the field, and really go to town on them.  After all, there's no reason we shouldn't be taking 7/8/9 off a side like that.  He probably said to Hutton and Robertson to not really curtail their play, but maybe not go completely all out.  We score, push up, and suddenly they spring a very good counter-attack getting (I think) a 3 on 1.  Great finish from them, admittedly, but only allowed because we were suicidally attacking. 

You've then seemed to go off on a completely different tangent about how dreadful Robertson and Hutton are, particularly the former for having the temerity to score a goal.

Nothing to do with the temerity to score a goal, i'm talking abgout the defensive set up as a whole. If a left-backs sole purpose is to get as far up the pitch as possible, and ignore silly little basics like marking his direct opponent, then perhaps we mightn't necessarily be reliant on him and Hutton as our two attacking focal points, if they, or Strachan could ever see their way to actually trying to win games, and not consolation prizes.

I find the 'everyone else is doing it' argument wholly ironic, given the prophet Levein stated football without strikers will be reality very soon (he was right) yet he remains lambasted for trying to get in on the ground floor with it (although i personally did not agree with any of it) while others happily ignore that our current manager is trying desperately to.cling to.a formation which has had its day.

You do know that the concept of an attacking full-back isn't just limited to Hutton and Robertson, right?  It's pretty pervasive in the modern game.  It's used in our case because we don't really play with true wingers, often with players who want to cut in and support the forwards.  Without attacking fullbacks we'd essentially have no width whatsoever.  So...yeah.

It's not even that relevant to the Gibraltar example.  Strachan made an almighty f**k-up with the system that day.  I'm probably stretching, but I presume he watched them play and believed that he could take out a central defender, put a player further up the field, and really go to town on them.  After all, there's no reason we shouldn't be taking 7/8/9 off a side like that.  He probably said to Hutton and Robertson to not really curtail their play, but maybe not go completely all out.  We score, push up, and suddenly they spring a very good counter-attack getting (I think) a 3 on 1.  Great finish from them, admittedly, but only allowed because we were suicidally attacking. 

You've then seemed to go off on a completely different tangent about how dreadful Robertson and Hutton are, particularly the former for having the temerity to score a goal.

BIB

In the case of Scotland and that fool Strachan it very much is limited to Hutton especially..........remember Strachan is also the Dunce who likes to play Mulgrew , a man who would lose a race against a Snail he is that slow at Left Back too.

Are you using some kind of computer program to write your posts now troops?  Starting to get a bit repetitive with the the use of "that fool strachan" and several references to sloths, snails and people being slow.  Should change it up a bit.

Aye but that's not their sole purpose.

Anyway, with Fletcher going to Wednesday how many EPL players do we have left now?

Snodgrass/Robertson/McGregor/Kingsley/Fletcher/Morrison/Anya and Rhodes?

Could have had Arfield in there aswell.

Anyway, with Fletcher going to Wednesday how many EPL players do we have left now?

this is going off of wikipedia so it might not be 100% accurate. 

ryan fraser, 

george boyd, 

james mcarthur, 

allan mcgregor, robert snodgrass, shaun maloney, andrew robertson 

ryan fulton 

donald love

jordan rhodes

phil bardsley, charlie adam 

liam bridcutt, 

stephen kingsley, jay fulton 

ikechi anya

james morrison, darren fletcher, 

18 players overall - with maybe about half getting a decent amount of playing time each week. 

What other purposes do they have, then? We really have things arse over tit in this country. Iconise 'defenders' who don't actually defend as such (sonething the whole team should be able to do) and salute forwards who can't score but run about like a headless chicken, and end up too fucked to do anything with the ball. That's not football.

this is going off of wikipedia so it might not be 100% accurate. 

ryan fraser, 

george boyd, 

james mcarthur, 

allan mcgregor, robert snodgrass, shaun maloney, andrew robertson 

ryan fulton 

donald love

jordan rhodes

phil bardsley, charlie adam 

liam bridcutt, 

stephen kingsley, jay fulton 

ikechi anya

james morrison, darren fletcher, 

18 players overall - with maybe about half getting a decent amount of playing time each week.

At least eight of them wil not, or should not feature for Scotland for the forseeable future. I'd be more interested in our Championship numbers tbh, given our three other smaller rivals pick a sizable amount of players from there and manage to succeed.

I must be going totally mental as I have no memory whatsoever of the 'Nations League/Cup'

Summer 2011 I believe?  I remember Scotland wore that very Sweden-y yellow and blue away kit.  Wales and North Ireland were sweeped aside very easily then they lost 1-0 to South Ireland.

I must be going totally mental as I have no memory whatsoever of the 'Nations League/Cup'

Maybe you recall it as the Celtic Cup? Or the "Carling Nations Cup"? All games were played in Dublin.

In the February friendly slot in 2011 Eire beat Wales 3-0 on the Tuesday and we beat Northern Ireland 3-0 on the Wednesday.

Crowds were 19,783 and 18,742.

Then at the end of the season Eire beat NI 5-0; we beat Wales 3-1; Wales beat NI 2-0; and Eire beat us 1-0 to win the title.

Crowds were 15,083; 6,036; just 529; and 17,694.

Next edition was supposed to be 2013 in Cardiff.

It was dropped over poor crowds and controversy (including the Northern Irish fans boycotting and Wales being made to play 2 games in 3 days).

Also the Home Nations thought the English were going to invite us to play a 150th anniversary tournament in June 2013.

Call me mad if you want, but that's me ordered my season ticket for this campaign. Let's just say the system wasn't busy when I went on, and I had my pick of the whole North Stand - don't think people are desperate to sign up :lol:

Maybe you recall it as the Celtic Cup? Or the "Carling Nations Cup"? All games were played in Dublin.

In the February friendly slot in 2011 Eire beat Wales 3-0 on the Tuesday and we beat Northern Ireland 3-0 on the Wednesday.

Crowds were 19,783 and 18,742.

Then at the end of the season Eire beat NI 5-0; we beat Wales 3-1; Wales beat NI 2-0; and Eire beat us 1-0 to win the title.

Crowds were 15,083; 6,036; just 529; and 17,694.

Next edition was supposed to be 2013 in Cardiff.

It was dropped over poor crowds and controversy (including the Northern Irish fans boycotting and Wales being made to play 2 games in 3 days).

Also the Home Nations thought the English were going to invite us to play a 150th anniversary tournament in June 2013.

I was at all our games in Dublin. Format was rubbish but enjoyed our games, Scotland support turned out in numbers for all 3.

9 hours ago, SpoonTon said:

Call me mad if you want, but that's me ordered my season ticket for this campaign. Let's just say the system wasn't busy when I went on, and I had my pick of the whole North Stand - don't think people are desperate to sign up :lol:

Burst out laughing at them wanting £235 for five games of football (£55 membership plus £180 for decent seats). £47 per match. 

Bold....

38 minutes ago, Paco said:

Burst out laughing at them wanting £235 for five games of football (£55 membership plus £180 for decent seats). £47 per match. 

Bold....

Plus a tshirt #bargain

Archived