World cup 2018 campaign

• Replies 873
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is the play-off seeded? I know it has been previously, but haven't seen it confirmed anywhere.

I'd be amazed if it wasn't. With one of France/Netherlands AND one of Italy/Spain being very likely to be involved, they'll want to assure all the big teams make it through.

10 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Remember that time that it wasn't seeded? The four teams who would have been all were drawn against teams who wouldn't have, and the seeded teams all had their second game at home. 

Was the seeding not brought in around the France vs Ireland debacle?  Seem to remember there being a big furore around that time about them moving the goalposts.  

Seems strange that it ever wasn't seeded though.  Although I wouldn't go by World Ranking.  Take the second placed table, 1st vs 8th, 2nd vs 7th, etc etc.  Then you're rewarded for having a "better" campaign.

1 hour ago, forameus said:

Was the seeding not brought in around the France vs Ireland debacle?  Seem to remember there being a big furore around that time about them moving the goalposts.  

Seems strange that it ever wasn't seeded though.  Although I wouldn't go by World Ranking.  Take the second placed table, 1st vs 8th, 2nd vs 7th, etc etc.  Then you're rewarded for having a "better" campaign.

There was seeding for the tournament before the France v Ireland one, but the media chose to ignore that and come up with the "moving the goalposts" stuff anyway.

I think the "moving the goalposts" chat was because they had said the playoffs wouldn't be seeded before changing their mind once it became clear who the teams involved would be. It was an entirely justifiable complaint to a typically grubby decision from the football authorities.

3 minutes ago, Bully Di Villa said:

I think the "moving the goalposts" chat was because they had said the playoffs wouldn't be seeded before changing their mind once it became clear who the teams involved would be. It was an entirely justifiable complaint to a typically grubby decision from the football authorities.

As far as I remember, they had never said that it wouldn't be seeded, they just hadn't announced for sure that it would be.

As far as I remember, they had never said that it wouldn't be seeded, they just hadn't announced for sure that it would be.

Can't find anything definitive but a couple of contemporary accounts suggest that FIFA had "indicated" that it wouldn't be seeded.

Even if they hadn't, it's still ludicrous that they waited until a month before the playoffs before confirming the format. That should've been sorted before the qualifiers even kicked off.

So it was either corrupt, or massively incompetent.

Looking through the groups barring any major upsets, IF we were to finish second the line-up would be something like:

A - France/Netherlands
B - Switzerland/Portugal
C - Czech Rep/Northern Ireland
D - Austria/RoI/Serbia
E - Denmark/Poland/Romania
F - Scotland (!)
G - Spain/Italy
H - Bosnia/Greece
I - Iceland/Turkey/Ukraine

So seeds from that would (broadly) be France/Netherlands, Spain/Italy, Switzerland/Portugal and someone else.

So basically we'll almost certainly need a lucky draw to avoid one of the above in the play-offs, and we'd then need to beat a side most likely a little better than us - someone like Poland or Austria.

Or, we don't have any slip-ups in Lithuania/Slovenia, get at least four points from Slovakia and England.

Those are the routes to qualification....

Looking through the groups barring any major upsets, IF we were to finish second the line-up would be something like:

A - France/Netherlands
B - Switzerland/Portugal
D - Austria/RoI/Serbia
F - Scotland (!)
G - Spain/Italy
H - Bosnia/Greece

So seeds from that would (broadly) be France/Netherlands, Spain/Italy, Switzerland/Portugal and someone else.

So basically we'll almost certainly need a lucky draw to avoid one of the above in the play-offs, and we'd then need to beat a side most likely a little better than us - someone like Poland or Austria.

Or, we don't have any slip-ups in Lithuania/Slovenia, get at least four points from Slovakia and England.

I think we are capable of beating 4 of the runners up in your table...all is not lost.

Hope we are still talking this way in a years time.

A - France/Netherlands
B - Switzerland/Portugal
D - Austria/RoI/Serbia
F - Scotland (!)
G - Spain/Italy
H - Bosnia/Greece

We never get a lucky draw

• 3 weeks later...
Guest DAVIDB69

I think the problem with our group is outwith England lots of points will be dropped between the teams.

Meaning a fair chance second place in our group could get nothing at all

Archived