Benefit sanctions

Fide

How many more stories like the below are we going to have to hear about? I realise the Conservatives poor-bashing is entirely ideological but how long is this going to fucking continue for? These stories make my blood boil.

Mark Robot Arm 14h
My partner - a teacher - caught a child at her school one Monday morning eating ketchup from sachets he'd taken from the dinner hall...
Mark Robot Arm 14h
...he'd barely eaten over the weekend and was desperate. That's your Tory Britain. That's Cameron's compassionate Conservatism, right there.
Mark Robot Arm 14h
After taking him to breakfast club and getting him some proper food, the school called the boy's mum. She hadn't eaten for nearly a week.
Mark Robot Arm 13h
She'd been sanctioned. There isn't a foodbank within 10 miles and she didn't have the bus fare to go there anyway.

• Replies 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The "silent majority" couldn't give a flying fcuk, #bettertogether.

Yep, I heard as much the other day. These people do not give a toss, because someone is flying their flag and telling them it's great to be British.

The system of sanctions is an utter farce. JCP staff are set targets, and will be hauled up by management for failing to sanction enough claimants.

This leads to people being sanctioned for nonsensical reasons, most of which are successfully dealt with at mandatory recon stage ... however this still results in claimants going two weeks plus with no money through no fault of their own.

The most common one is where a claimant can't make the appointment but the record of the call is "lost". One particular claimant suffered this twice when her kid took ill. The second time however she recorded the phone call leading to a particularly amusing climbdown from the job centre involved.

The most telling stat is that something like 65% of JCP decisions are successfully appealed. (Eta that's DWP decisions re ESA assessments. Apologies for the mix up)

They are a fucking shambles.

In Scotland today teachers are now being trained to spot signs of malnutrition and hunger in children.

Yep but that isn't easy to do, especially in secondary when you're dealing with upwards of 20+ children who leave every 50 minutes.

In Scotland today teachers are now being trained to spot signs of malnutrition and hunger in children.

They should be all trained to spot the signs before they set foot in a classroom tbf! I am, never mind a teacher.

Of course, the sensible way to proceed is to rank the benefit claimants who have been sanctioned by looks, and then price them up and sell them on to the folk who usually buy Russian or Thai brides. Saves the poor going hungry and helps keep those bloody foreigners out.

There's nothing wrong with sanctioning IF it's done properly and for the right reasons. Which basically boils down to those who simply can't be arsed getting up and going to the Job Centre. If someone like that has kids, inform social services to ensure the kids are still being fed.

And the word "targets" should be nowhere near something like this.

But it seems everything after that "IF" has been forgotten and we end up with situations as described in the opening post and by jupe1407.

They should be all trained to spot the signs before they set foot in a classroom tbf! I am, never mind a teacher.

They shouldn't have to be. Whether Indy Scotland or in UK we are a wealthy nation who can easily afford to make sure everyone is clothed fed and warm.

Sanctions are a disgusting ideological attack on the most vulnerable motivated by nothing other than a desire to demonise and divide people.

If someone like that has kids, inform social services to ensure the kids are still being fed.

We always give those cases priority when referring for food parcels etc so we're in a position to help the worst cases at least.

It's a shite system, largely administered by cretinous managers.

Archived