1st quarter reports

I assume tell him he's pele isn't doing these this year? Lets D.I.Y this shit.

Dunfermline A-

Typically winning comfortably (including cups today was our 8th victory of 3 goals or more) but occasional slip ups mean we are not in our desired place at the top of the league, however with good performances in the cups to add to our league wins we have no major reason to moan. Next term we need to target similar form but with a little more consistentsy, paticularly against ayr.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Happy and not so happy with this airdrie team at the moment and as for bollan he seem to lack desire to win games at times.

What's to be happy about - we are in the top 4

-we are not losing goals left right and center

-when we do turn up we are playing some nice football

-goals coming from nearly every one in the team

-some good signings from the summer playing well and watt and o'neil step up there game (o'neil playin out if position at LB when he's a RB

-David cox has bein by far our best player shows 100%desire to win and hope it rubs off on the rest of the team

What not to be happy about - some suspect signings vanzanton /McBride(waste of a wage both and could be past it ...need shot of them to better the team)

No out and out striker that's going to get 20+goals (hunter mibi if he stays on after the turn of the year )

-bollan refusal to sub when needed( Morgan at dumfermline )to a least try and hold on to a win

-the mangers style of play and his picking of the first team is some what confused and lacking the cutting edge

- in a lot of games this year we have only turned up for the second half or the first

-lister's op not being paid for by club when he is majorly missed in that team

-who Evers bright idea it was to put the sponsor logo on the top of the shirt at the back breaking up the diamond needs shot

Over all we have put ourself in good position to push on this year and succeed into the play offs if bollan git his finger Ott we can catch ayr as no team this year has looked the stand outs when we have played them even the 2500 season ticket holding dumfermilne .....onward and upwards

Ayr United - A

Massively pleasing first quarter. Surprised and delighted to be top at this stage, I think most of us would've been happy with a top 4 challenge having been mounted but to already have a 7 point gap to 4th is very satisfying. Crucial victories at historically difficult places (Airdrie, Stranraer and especially Dunfermline), with maulings of lesser teams (Cowden, Stennie). The kind of attacking inventiveness from Moore, Forrest, Preston etc that we haven't seen since the Teale, Hurst and Walker days tempered with the raw aggression of Jamie Adams and Ross Doc has given us the ability to win whichever game we face. Brian Gilmour emerging as the best technical footballer in the division and big Gerry extremely solid at the heart of the defence have all been massive positives. The two cup defeats to Sevco and The Staggies were great exercises in playing football against superior opposition and not looking out of place, a wee bit like Arsenal winning 6-0 in a friendly at Somerset back in 1987, we seem to have learned lessons and put them into practice.

The negatives have been our horror show at Cliftonhill and losing late equalisers at home to Forfar and Peterhead. Four points dropped that we should have had. The squad is stronger than we're used to but injuries to key personnel will probably prevent us competing with Dunfermline eventually unless McCall can pull some tricks out of tge transfer window hat.

All in all, report reads "exceeding expectations, ability to handle pressure about to be tested".

A dream start to the season for the 'vers: we have taken double the points tally many of us were expecting, and in style. The standard of football is as high as it's ever been at Albion Rovers, we've earned 9 points out of 12 at home and pulled off two great results on the road, in the extreme North-East and South-West.

The defeats were to the current 2nd, 3rd, 4th and...er...10th, so by and large we’re pulling our weight (and then some.) We have less travelling to do in the next quarter; six of the second round of fixtures are in Monklands- including the four teams who got the better of us.

It's difficult to be anything other than positive about the work done by Young and Stark, but I’ll be strict and award ARFC an A-. Looking at where Cowden are now, perhaps we could have taken something off them.

Prediction for the coming quarter: 9 points with some fresh injuries, suspensions and a couple of postponements for good measure, leaving us on 22 points with 20 games to fit into 4 months. A photo finish to come in the second half of the season, with our future possibly entirely dependent on our performance in the loan market in January.

In some games Ayr have been second best in many areas but still got results which means we have been either more lucky than good or we are able to cope with being under pressure better.

The next quarter I'd like us to have a double figure gap over the fifth place team, still be top (obviously) or within a point or two of top

I would have us at a B-. Although we are top, the defeat to Albion and the late goals against Forfar and Peterhead are particularly disappointing. We need to build on this start and keep going.

B- !?

Have a word with yourself. Your team are doing fantastic and have had a great first quarter.

Tit.

C-

Credit to McInally for making changes to try and salvage points in games. However we appear to have certain names photocopied on the team lines even when we as a team, and they as individuals, are not playing well. Maybe we could try aomething different from the start.

Our football is as attractive as an offer of a visit from Kristen Gilbert.

The two cup defeats to Sevco and The Staggies were great exercises in playing football against superior opposition and not looking out of place, a wee bit like Arsenal winning 6-0 in a friendly at Somerset back in 1987, we seem to have learned lessons and put them into practice.

agree with this. Although papped out 2 cups we played high intensity football against superior opposition playing with their tails up. Despite the results we were excellent in both games and it was a great platform for us to take into the following league games. Sometimes losing battles to win the war blah blah regrouping Now I hope we can go again. The threat of U.S. Losing Moore could hopefully benefit us in a way. If he knows there's a chance he could get back there he might just find another gear to get noticed. We are doing just fine so pretty chuffed to see us at the top

A+

Started off in shambolic fashion and ended the quarter flying.

The team look happy to be out there and the manager knows what he is doing, the end of the next quarter will be interesting to see if Dunfermline keep up with us.

Also while we have been top for a few weeks it's the first time this season we have now been on top in the 'home table' and joint top of the 'away table'

(We were 2nd and 3rd)

post-21687-1443973055827_thumb.jpgpost-21687-14439730809023_thumb.jpg

C

After a dismal run we seem to be now going in the right direction. Most of the key players are starting to perform more consistently although Molloy and Fusco need to give themselves a shake . The centre of midfield needs to tighten up and stop giving away posession . Get that sorted and we will be back in play off contention.

B- !?

Have a word with yourself. Your team are doing fantastic and have had a great first quarter.

Tit.

We have so, however the game v Albion Rovers was abysmal and 2 poor home displays against Forfar and Peterhead means we have not quite hit the top. 9 wins out of 9 would be an A.

A+

Started off in shambolic fashion and ended the quarter flying.

The team look happy to be out there and the manager knows what he is doing, the end of the next quarter will be interesting to see if Dunfermline keep up with us.

Also while we have been top for a few weeks it's the first time this season we have now been on top in the 'home table' and joint top of the 'away table'

(We were 2nd and 3rd)

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByPie & Bovril1443973051.315384.jpgattachicon.gifImageUploadedByPie & Bovril1443973068.537846.jpg

You can't give your team an A+ if the season "started off in shambolic fashion", that doesn't make a lick of sense.

Anyway. Not sure what I'd give Stenhousemuir. At our best, we've been excellent (the Challenge Cup win over Raith Rovers) but at our worst we've been dire (the defeat at Albion Rovers). From middle to front, I reckon the team's pretty handy and Brown Ferguson has done very well to address last season's deficiencies. Guys like Jon Robertson, Allan Smith, Alan Cook and Stephen Stirling have been good, solid signings and have been infinite upgrades on last season. Our home form is pretty decent too - high-flying Dunfermline are the only side to have beaten us.

Conversely, we're shocking away from home with one point. Our defending is downright hilarious at times - this side struggle with balls over the top and from the wings, and they's also terrible at dealing with set-pieces. Individually, I think the defence is made up by decent players but they're far lesser than the sum of their parts. We're giving away goals, I've never seen anything quite like it - I reckon about three-quarters of the goals we've lost have been so easily preventable. We've seen our goalie kicking the ball into his own net, defenders passing to opposition players inside the penalty box, underhit backpasses... The list goes on.

Given the bleak financial outlook at the beginning of the season, we're probably where we should be - the lower reaches of the table - but there are some very good players in the team. If we can cut out the stupid mistakes we could push for the top four.

I'm going for a C-.

You can't give your team an A+ if the season "started off in shambolic fashion", that doesn't make a lick of sense.

Anyway. Not sure what I'd give Stenhousemuir. At our best, we've been excellent (the Challenge Cup win over Raith Rovers) but at our worst we've been dire (the defeat at Albion Rovers). From middle to front, I reckon the team's pretty handy and Brown Ferguson has done very well to address last season's deficiencies. Guys like Jon Robertson, Allan Smith, Alan Cook and Stephen Stirling have been good, solid signings and have been infinite upgrades on last season. Our home form is pretty decent too - high-flying Dunfermline are the only side to have beaten us.

Conversely, we're shocking away from home with one point. Our defending is downright hilarious at times - this side struggle with balls over the top and from the wings, and they's also terrible at dealing with set-pieces. Individually, I think the defence is made up by decent players but they're far lesser than the sum of their parts. We're giving away goals, I've never seen anything quite like it - I reckon about three-quarters of the goals we've lost have been so easily preventable. We've seen our goalie kicking the ball into his own net, defenders passing to opposition players inside the penalty box, underhit backpasses... The list goes on.

Given the bleak financial outlook at the beginning of the season, we're probably where we should be - the lower reaches of the table - but there are some very good players in the team. If we can cut out the stupid mistakes we could push for the top four.

I'm going for a C-.

I'd say B- for us. We've been tremendous is some games, yet by all accounts pretty w**k in others. Losses to Ayr at home, Peterhead away and a draw at home to Airdrie are not the sort of results we need if we wish to win promotion. Apparently we were rank on Saturday as well. For all the goals we've scored, I believe we are on the same number of points (or only slightly ahead) of what we were on at this time last season.

We need to find some consistency.

Archived