Star Wars Battlefront (3)

DensParkNumber1

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They have been absolutely tortured recently, even more than usual. Personally, I think I’d enjoy this, but I can’t bring myself to pay full price for me to probably have to pay to get the full benefits of the game; apparently to unlock Luke and/or Vader you have to play for around 40 hours to get enough credits. Or, y’know, pay. The loot boxes are ridiculous and are essentially gambling for children (and us). Only you don’t even win real money :lol:

11 hours ago, Mackie The Staggie said:

A full price, triple AAA game designed around the pay-to-win method used in free to play games.......not even touching this on 2nd hand.  Christ there's even a cap on the credits you can earn if you play the arcade mode too long.....f**k THAT!

That is the real kicker for me.  Loot boxes aren't great, but they're probably not going anywhere, but wait timers in a full-price game?  :lol:

Pre ordering is fucking shite and encourages this type of shite. 

I'm so pleased people are using this game to finally start pushing back on lootboxes, hiding content in full price AAA games and overly monetising every aspect of them. People need to stop pre ordering for a start. Don't reward a publisher for a game they haven't given you yet, that simple. Secondly don't pay for finished content available from the start that they want to hide behind paywalls, p2w mechanics and lootbox gambling. They are conditioning people to think it's ok. 

I didn't buy Shadow of War because they did similar on a much smaller sale and I definitely wouldn't buy this either. EA are not the only company milking their customer base but they are probably the biggest and hopefully this is just the start of people saying no, f**k off. 

Well I preordered it, started playing it last night and so far I'm really enjoying it. As 54 said, the single player seems to be aimed at giving you a shot at trying out different parts of the game - troopers/heroes/vehicles etc. About 2.5 hours into it and so far the story isn’t particularly great and, I felt I could have done with more time with just standard soldiers vs soldiers but that may still come later.

Played one game of Heroes vs Villains and thought it was vastly improved. More fun, a bit daft and with no messing about having to use standard troopers against heroes. It still has the issue that heroes with guns can’t really compete with force users but I can’t see a way around that anyway.

I really couldn’t care less about loot crates one way or the other. You may occasionally come up against someone who is overpowered, but it’s not as common as some people make out, and it certainly won’t ruin my enjoyment of the game.

Well I preordered it, started playing it last night and so far I'm really enjoying it. As 54 said, the single player seems to be aimed at giving you a shot at trying out different parts of the game - troopers/heroes/vehicles etc. About 2.5 hours into it and so far the story isn’t particularly great and, I felt I could have done with more time with just standard soldiers vs soldiers but that may still come later.
Played one game of Heroes vs Villains and thought it was vastly improved. More fun, a bit daft and with no messing about having to use standard troopers against heroes. It still has the issue that heroes with guns can’t really compete with force users but I can’t see a way around that anyway.
I really couldn’t care less about loot crates one way or the other. You may occasionally come up against someone who is overpowered, but it’s not as common as some people make out, and it certainly won’t ruin my enjoyment of the game.

You’re half-way through the campaign apparently.
When did we get to the stage that campaigns in games just became absolutely worthless, and we’re almost expecting devs to not care about them? If it’s more than 5 hours, that’s some brilliant achievement.

Really disappointed, although not unsurprised, that the single player campaign is so short.  I don't play enough that I get good enough to fully enjoy multiplayer, so I tend to just stick to the campaigns on games, but folk like me that buy the game and then don't cough up extra for every bonus item are increasingly being pushed away from these games.

Will pick it up next year second hand probably.

3 hours ago, Jaggy Snake said:

It's ok to enjoy the game for what it is. In saying that, while you may not care about loot crates, the fact that you'd need to grind 4500 hours of optimal gameplay, or spend around 2 grand to unlock all the features that you should already have unlimited access to by paying full price for the game should bother you at least a bit, no?

1 hour ago, GiGi said:

It's ok to enjoy the game for what it is. In saying that, while you may not care about loot crates, the fact that you'd need to grind 4500 hours of optimal gameplay, or spend around 2 grand to unlock all the features that you should already have unlimited access to by paying full price for the game should bother you at least a bit, no?

My only problem with loot crates is the gambling nature of them. I wouldn’t have any problem if people knew they could spend x amount to unlock Luke Skywalker permanently, or even for a set amount of time. Even if I had to spend 3 months playing the game for free to get the same reward.

Whether it’s loot crates in Battlefront or FUT card packs in FIFA, they’re geared towards you always wanting to open one more, thinking it might have that key reward in it you’re searching for. Someone touched on this in the FIFA thread the other day and rightly pointed out that it should be monitored and regulated the way gambling is, as that’s essentially what it comes down to.

The part about grinding out rewards in games doesn’t bother me much, no. I used to play some PS1 and PS2 games endlessly and never got close to unlocking all the characters in them but that didn’t lessen my enjoyment of them. And if I enjoy this Battlefront as much as I did the last, I’ll easily spend enough time on it to unlock the vast majority of items.

The new Battlefront games get a hard time in general because they’re not all that similar to the previous iterations. If they’d been smart, they’d have given this series a completely different name and far more people would have raved about a fun game where you could battle out as Star Wars characters online, instead of bitching about a lack of a campaign/galaxy mode. That also would have allowed the original Battlefront games to be continued at some other point but it is what it is.

2 hours ago, accies1874 said:

You’re half-way through the campaign apparently.
When did we get to the stage that campaigns in games just became absolutely worthless, and we’re almost expecting devs to not care about them? If it’s more than 5 hours, that’s some brilliant achievement.

I do agree with that. A campaign mode should usually be the most important and consuming part of a game. Compared to the last Battlefront this campaign is a welcome single player addition to a primarily online game. Compared to the original Battlefront campaigns it’s barely worth discussion, but as per my post above, it’s basically worth considering the games as completely different series.

You would think with the rise in popularity of some RPG’s, The Witcher obviously and my personal favourite the Dragon Age series, developers would see that good stories can sell games but they’re often too happy to split games into being all action/adventure with no story or story based RPG’s, with very little crossover. They would obviously point to sales figures though and say who cares...

7 hours ago, Jaggy Snake said:

I do agree with that. A campaign mode should usually be the most important and consuming part of a game. Compared to the last Battlefront this campaign is a welcome single player addition to a primarily online game. Compared to the original Battlefront campaigns it’s barely worth discussion, but as per my post above, it’s basically worth considering the games as completely different series.

You would think with the rise in popularity of some RPG’s, The Witcher obviously and my personal favourite the Dragon Age series, developers would see that good stories can sell games but they’re often too happy to split games into being all action/adventure with no story or story based RPG’s, with very little crossover. They would obviously point to sales figures though and say who cares...

the fact that all future DLC including more story chapters are free is probably why the story is short the now, the attempted to focus on everything

a lot of people will race through the campaign mode as well, especially sticking it on easy mode,

Archived