Rhodeswatch

F_T_Y

• Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pulled out of the squad with a mystery 'injury'.

Chances of him being available for Blackburn next weekend? High to certain.

The Gibraltar game was the one he was picked for and one he would have got a chance in. What a pity.

And Griffiths, who has also withdrawn? Oh, no, that's different, isn't it.

Why?

It's utter petulance. There may well be an injury involved but it smacks of toys oot the pram stuff.

I think we should maybe wait and see what WGS says about it before staging a tear-stained, dirty protest.

I suspect there's nothing sinister in this.

I think we should maybe wait and see what WGS says about it before staging a tear-stained, dirty protest.

I suspect there's nothing sinister in this.

True, just saying what it looks like from the statement on the BBC. I'd have thought if Strachan let them go for tactical reasons it would've been mentioned but maybe not. It doesn't look great

And Griffiths, who has also withdrawn? Oh, no, that's different, isn't it.

Is it? To who?

I fear neither of them will ever be good enough to make an impact at international level, sadly.

Our two best forward players are clearly Fletcher and Naismith.

Coming up behind them the cupboard is pretty dry. Russell, May, Rhodes, Watt, Griffiths...

Can anyone really see any of them being a regular goalscorer at international level? Nope, me neither.

From BBC:

Of the players who dropped out of the squad ahead of the trip to Portugal, Jordan Rhodes has a medial ligament problem, fellow striker Leigh Griffiths injured a calf in the half-time warm-up on Thursday, while midfielder James McArthur's wife is expecting a baby imminently.

From BBC:

Of the players who dropped out of the squad ahead of the trip to Portugal, Jordan Rhodes has a medial ligament problem, fellow striker Leigh Griffiths injured a calf in the half-time warm-up on Thursday, while midfielder James McArthur's wife is expecting a baby imminently.

Clumsy b*****ds. They should both be punted forever for being made of chocolate. Fucking malingering twats.

• 3 months later...

That strikes me as yet another sideways move at best.

Middlesbrough are lightyears ahead of Blackburn at the minute both on and off the park and will likely be a Premier league club next season.

That strikes me as yet another sideways move at best.

Looking at the Championship table I'd say its a conservative move up. Boro sit in 2nd place and seem determined to finish 1st or 2nd to avoid playoffs again this season. Blackburn are at least 3 years away from promotion. He should get plenty of support and chances at Boro too.

It'd have been interesting to see him move to Swansea or Newcastle, as has been mooted in the last few days, but one or both of them are likely to be relegated.

I'm not a massive fan, but whether he's in the Championship or Premier League I expect him to be at a higher standard than Fletcher by the end of the coming campaign. I don't hold out much hope for us at all in the 2018 qualifiers and see it being a bit of a transition campaign, so it's probably best we have him as the direct back-up now instead of arseing about with Chris Martin types.

Wouldn't be surprised if boro go up as champions now. Rhodes goalscoring record at any team he has played for has been terrific.

Should be our main man for the world cup campaign.

All depends on strachan's POV

Interestingly Boro play a 4231, so if Rhodes can thrive in that side it will certainly strengthen his case.

Either way I hope this finally helps answer the Rhodes question one way or another. Having him in limbo on the fringes of the squad for the last 4 years just seems wasteful given that we generally struggle for goals. Same could be said for McCormack, who's been floating around like that for 7 or more years.

ETA Gah! Spoke too soon - seems the deal to Boro is off due to his agent trying to shoehorn in extra performance clauses. Not good for Boro, Blackburn or Rhodes

Archived