Rhodeswatch

F_T_Y

21 hours ago, kenny131 said:

He made a good run getting in front of defender but just cut in too early so ball was just behind him,  still more movement in that 1 move than Chris Martin has shown in 5 games

Perhaps either of these players would have made more effort had they been playing for their own country, not someone elses.

• Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 16/03/2017 at 13:54, Gordopolis said:

Back on topic (sort of) I see Karanka's been sacked by 'Boro. Wonder if this'll change anything re Rhodes' future, what with him being on loan to Sheffield Weds?

On 16/03/2017 at 14:08, forameus said:

I doubt it'll change anything.  He's not going to magically jump up the pecking order at a Premier League side, so I'd see no reason in recalling him for the very few games they have left.  Probably more likely to change in summer, when I wouldn't be surprised if he was punted permanently.

He'll become a Sheffield Wednesday player at end of the season. Deal already agreed with both clubs just couldn't get the deal over the line before deadline day that's why he only joined on loan. 

5 hours ago, Arbroathlegend36-0 said:

He'll become a Sheffield Wednesday player at end of the season. Deal already agreed with both clubs just couldn't get the deal over the line before deadline day that's why he only joined on loan. 

I was hoping it wouldn't be the case, as I'm sure Boro will get relegated so having a 20 goal a season striker returning would be like a new signing.

• 2 weeks later...

Tbf if he is to be the player he promised to be early in his career and the player we want him to be, then he has to stand up to this level of scrutiny. At the moment, he's just not cutting it.
I've always said he should be our wildcard goalscorer in every Scotland squad, but based on the last two seasons, it's getting harder to argue his case.

• 3 weeks later...
Glorious irony in him being kept out the side by Fletcher given the moronic shouts for Rhodes to play for Scotland ahead of him

Whatever floats your boat. Personally I'd prefer whichever one of them is thriving to be doing it also for the national side. As it stands both are pretty much pointless at international level.

On ‎30‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 18:23, MarkoRaj said:

Glorious irony in him being kept out the side by Fletcher given the moronic shouts for Rhodes to play for Scotland ahead of him

Don't think either of them are up to it at international level sadly, but then again I don't think any of our strikers are at the moment.   Indeed I don't think we've had a true international level striker since Dalglish, and he last played for us over 30 years ago.

I thought Rhodes was a top end Championship player, seems I may have overestimated him.  Looks like he's more suited to a middling to lower Championship side, guess that's where he'll end up next season.  Would be better off there than bench warming at Boro or Wednesday.

2 hours ago, Lex said:

Don't think either of them are up to it at international level sadly, but then again I don't think any of our strikers are at the moment.   Indeed I don't think we've had a true international level striker since Dalglish, and he last played for us over 30 years ago.

I thought Rhodes was a top end Championship player, seems I may have overestimated him.  Looks like he's more suited to a middling to lower Championship side, guess that's where he'll end up next season.  Would be better off there than bench warming at Boro or Wednesday.

Mo Johnston was a good, solid international striker. Or, I suppose it could be argued he was just decent, and thrived when playing alongside the Scotland players of that era. In any case, ever since then we've been patchy as anything up front. The Miller, McFadden spell - a few years when both were in their mid 20s and in double figures with goals (and with guys like Boyd as backup) - is the most convincing we have been as goalscorers in the last 20-30 years.

Rhodes was a top end championship striker, but he just seems adrift these days. Quite grim that there are no genuinely convincing prospects out there. I've got hopes that Aitchison at Celtic might turn out to be good, but that's all it is - hope. Much more likely he'll be in the Watt/Burchill category of settling into the mediocrity of a decent but non-international career.

18 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

Mo Johnston was a good, solid international striker. Or, I suppose it could be argued he was just decent, and thrived when playing alongside the Scotland players of that era. In any case, ever since then we've been patchy as anything up front. The Miller, McFadden spell - a few years when both were in their mid 20s and in double figures with goals (and with guys like Boyd as backup) - is the most convincing we have been as goalscorers in the last 20-30 years.

Rhodes was a top end championship striker, but he just seems adrift these days. Quite grim that there are no genuinely convincing prospects out there. I've got hopes that Aitchison at Celtic might turn out to be good, but that's all it is - hope. Much more likely he'll be in the Watt/Burchill category of settling into the mediocrity of a decent but non-international career.

We've had some top class goalies, defenders and midfielders in that time but we've never really produced a regular international goal scorer.

If you took guys like Johnston (14 Scotland goals), Miller (18), McFadden (15), McCoist (19).  Off the top of my head they're the top scoring Scottish strikers since the late 80's, they have 66 international goals combined.

Robbie Keane has scored 68 goals for Ireland himself.  This is clearly a big reason why they've been qualifying recently and we haven't.

We're certainly well over due producing a guy who can consistently find the net in the international arena.

29 minutes ago, Lex said:

We've had some top class goalies, defenders and midfielders in that time but we've never really produced a regular international goal scorer.

If you took guys like Johnston (14 Scotland goals), Miller (18), McFadden (15), McCoist (19).  Off the top of my head they're the top scoring Scottish strikers since the late 80's, they have 66 international goals combined.

Robbie Keane has scored 68 goals for Ireland himself.  This is clearly a big reason why they've been qualifying recently and we haven't.

We're certainly well over due producing a guy who can consistently find the net in the international arena.

Ireland qualified for Euro 2016 yes but Keane only scored against Gibraltar in qualifying to be fair. 

In contrast Northern ireland have qualified with Kyle Fuckin lafferty as their main striker. You could argue Martin, Rhodes, Griffiths, Naismith are all of a higher level than him and yet he scores at international level and our guys struggle.

5 minutes ago, PrestersKTID said:

Ireland qualified for Euro 2016 yes but Keane only scored against Gibraltar in qualifying to be fair. 

In contrast Northern ireland have qualified with Kyle Fuckin lafferty as their main striker. You could argue Martin, Rhodes, Griffiths, Naismith are all of a higher level than him and yet he scores at international level and our guys struggle.

By recently I was more meaning since we last qualified, he's well past it now but he's been at the forefront of a good few successful qualifying campaigns for them.

The Lafferty point is certainly a good one, he's got 20 goals for NI already with less caps than Miller and he's got a few years left in him.  David Healy got 36 international goals.  Don't think either of them would have got a game for Scotland.

On the flip side the last Scotland player to get 20 international goals was Dalglish.  Hard to see who the next one will be, the top scorer in the current squad is Steven Fletcher with 9 and he's the wrong side of 30.  Also 6 of that 9 came against Gibraltar.

• 3 weeks later...

Neither's great though. A forward of his quality should be seeing penalties as sure things, should never be asking not to take one. Could of course be more to it, might have been carrying a knock, but if not then it doesn't say much for his confidence ahead of a key squad announcement

Neither's great though. A forward of his quality should be seeing penalties as sure things, should never be asking not to take one. Could of course be more to it, might have been carrying a knock, but if not then it doesn't say much for his confidence ahead of a key squad announcement

He's miles off form, so I doubt he'll be in the squad. Fletcher and Griffiths are the only two who look close to it, and neither are exactly 'on fire'.
When is the squad announced?

Archived