Rhodeswatch

F_T_Y

Wee tip, if you're calling someone's reply pish, maybe make sure yours actually makes sense, otherwise "you don't anyone to debate with".  

Having debated with Kenny before on these threads I can honestly say he has fantastic experience when it comes to talking pish. He drags you down quickly.

• Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Not his best game yesterday had a penalty saved and missed a good chance with a header just after, was subbed around 70 mins.

Martin not started the last few games for Fulham not sure if he is injured, Griffiths not getting a look in and Fletcher just coming back from injury.

Would be inexplicable if Strachan overlooked him for the up coming squad.

Not his best game yesterday had a penalty saved and missed a good chance with a header just after, was subbed around 70 mins.
Martin not started the last few games for Fulham not sure if he is injured, Griffiths not getting a look in and Fletcher just coming back from injury.

Prob deserves place in squad as he's the only striker we have getting a game...... form has been poor though I wish he would return to the form he had at Huddersfield think he's gone backwards since then

17 hours ago, F_T_Y said:

I'd say it'd be the complete opposite of inexplicable, and can be easily explained by the reasons he continued not to pick him before.  He's not become a different player just because he's moved club.

Whether that's the right decision or not, it's easy to see why.

17 hours ago, F_T_Y said:

Eh?

So Rhodes yet again keeps  Strachans love child Fletcher out of the team, we all know what this means, Fletcher will be called up and Rhodes nowhere to be seen as we all know that is how the little clown Strachan operates!!!!

Troops post generator comes up with gold again.

You're likely right that Fletcher will be called up and Rhodes won't.  At the very least, both will be, but Fletcher will still have more chance of a start.  Rhodes as a player hasn't changed one bit, so I doubt the opinion of him amongst the management team has either.  Fletcher offers more as a player in the style they want to play.  Whether you agree with that or not, it's really not hard to understand.

Oh I understand alright, but unlike you I live in a world where things like form, game time, scoring record etc matter more than what Steven Fletcher can bring I am afraid, I think the majority feel the same as well. I slate Chris Martin but unlike Fletcher he is actually playing and is scoring so it would not bother me to see him being the lone striker in Strachans default formation because he is at least playing Club Football. We have to stop picking players based on their reputation, what they have done in the past and the like, we have tried all that, its time to actually pick players that are playing well and playing regularly, I have discussed this with you already, I would even have Kenny Miller in 11 before Fletcher at the moment. In the squad is fine yes but he should be nowhere near getting a start and for sake of good argument, no I don't think Rhodes should or will either but 100% in the squad at least

11 minutes ago, troopio said:

Oh I understand alright, but unlike you I live in a world where things like form, game time, scoring record etc matter more than what Steven Fletcher can bring I am afraid, I think the majority feel the same as well. I slate Chris Martin but unlike Fletcher he is actually playing and is scoring so it would not bother me to see him being the lone striker in Strachans default formation because he is at least playing Club Football. We have to stop picking players based on their reputation, what they have done in the past and the like, we have tried all that, its time to actually pick players that are playing well and playing regularly, I have discussed this with you already, I would even have Kenny Miller in 11 before Fletcher at the moment. In the squad is fine yes but he should be nowhere near getting a start and for sake of good argument, no I don't think Rhodes should or will either but 100% in the squad at least

I never said it was my opinion, just that it's likely theirs.  And between yours, mine, and theirs, it's clear which one matters (it isn't either of us).  

Having said that, throwing out the old "pick players on form, not reputation" is all well and good and noble, but it's not that simple.  We shouldn't be relying on either of them exclusively, need to balance both.  We can't just sort players by form and pick 11 from that, much like we can't sort on reputation.  If I'm being totally honest, I'd err on the side of talent than form (slightly) because a player playing well at club level isn't always going to translate to international level.  Countless examples of that happening.  Hence why Rhodes has been ignored in the past when he's been on form.

But let's face it, our options in that position are pretty poor.  Rhodes isn't the answer, and will likely to be battling it out for the 4th striker spot, unlikely to bother the starting line-up much.  Griffiths, Martin and Fletcher will likely be the other 3.  None of which are likely to set the world alight.

That I'll agree with.  I'm not some avid defender of Steven Fletcher.  I just think he offers the most all round, and given we're largely pish at creating chances, he's who I would have to create chances for midfielders.  Martin is Fletcher with less to offer.  Griffiths is apparently unfit, couldn't transfer his Celtic form to Scotland when he was, and I'm not even convinced he's international class anyway.  Rhodes is a good finisher, but like I said, he'll need chances created for him which we can't do very well.

I would trade them all for just one markedly better option. 

It seems that all or most of the names being bandied around have been part of the disastrous campaign. Why pick any of them, even IF they were actually Scottish ? None, or very few of those involved previously should be considered for further selection. Of course, I am not naiive enough to think that Strachan would ignore his favoured English second division stalwarts (lol) and look to his own country for representatives, so we are condemned to yet another failed campaign and ultimately the dismissal - albeit a couple of years too late - of the latest dud manager.

Just now, Dullard Bluteau said:

It seems that all or most of the names being bandied around have been part of the disastrous campaign. Why pick any of them, even IF they were actually Scottish ? None, or very few of those involved previously should be considered for further selection. Of course, I am not naiive enough to think that Strachan would ignore his favoured English second division stalwarts (lol) and look to his own country for representatives, so we are condemned to yet another failed campaign and ultimately the dismissal - albeit a couple of years too late - of the latest dud manager.

Yeah, let's make it so that anyone who didn't qualify in a previous international campaign just gets kicked out.  Really worked for Wales and Northern Ireland when they didn't qualify!

It's an incredibly short-sighted thing to say.  Where exactly are we going to get decent enough replacements?  

17 hours ago, forameus said:

I never said it was my opinion, just that it's likely theirs.  And between yours, mine, and theirs, it's clear which one matters (it isn't either of us).  

Having said that, throwing out the old "pick players on form, not reputation" is all well and good and noble, but it's not that simple.  We shouldn't be relying on either of them exclusively, need to balance both.  We can't just sort players by form and pick 11 from that, much like we can't sort on reputation.  If I'm being totally honest, I'd err on the side of talent than form (slightly) because a player playing well at club level isn't always going to translate to international level.  Countless examples of that happening.  Hence why Rhodes has been ignored in the past when he's been on form.

But let's face it, our options in that position are pretty poor.  Rhodes isn't the answer, and will likely to be battling it out for the 4th striker spot, unlikely to bother the starting line-up much.  Griffiths, Martin and Fletcher will likely be the other 3.  None of which are likely to set the world alight.

Pure gold lol

17 hours ago, forameus said:

Yeah, let's make it so that anyone who didn't qualify in a previous international campaign just gets kicked out.  Really worked for Wales and Northern Ireland when they didn't qualify!

It's an incredibly short-sighted thing to say.  Where exactly are we going to get decent enough replacements?  

Players who have failed 3 4 or 5 times to qualify  then get them to f**k in my opinion,  as it can't get any worse not even making play offs anymore. 

We have tried the same shite for decades....news flash it don't work yet we keep on employing homegrown dinosaurs with the same old mentality defend in numbers 

Archived