Rhodeswatch

F_T_Y

Is it just me that thinks McCormack is a much better player than Griffiths?

I'd say they are similar types of player, but McCormack has more strength. I can't work out how McCormack hasn't done more for us since that impressive debut vs Iceland waaay back.

• Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agree with this. Essentially it is between Martin, Rhodes and McCormack for the 4th strikers slot (though why not just pick a fifth striker?)

WGS has a bit of a boner for Martin, so i can't see anything other than it being Fletcher, Naismith, Griffiths and Martin.

Personally, I'd go for Fletcher, Naismith, Griffiths, Rhodes and McCormack

I think it'd be a waste of a spot to take out - presumably - a midfielder for a striker. We're only ever going to play one up front, unless you count the final five minutes and we absolutely need a goal. Even then there are other changes that would probably suit us better. Even with four strikers you're likely to have one guy that stands no chance of taking to the pitch. I don't see adding one more as being particularly useful, when he'll probably take the place of a midfielder who has a much bigger chance of getting on.

I suppose you could add a 5th at the expense of one of the younger players that WGS likes bringing in.

I'd still go with Fletcher, Naismith, Martin and Griffiths. Rhodes would be 5th in that, so if we somehow go for 5, he should be in, or if one of the four get injured.

Remember Rhodes came on against Gibraltar, the worst team in our group? He was shite.

To play devil's advocate, I wouldn't say he was shite. He wasn't good though, and did miss the sort of chance that he is supposed to be deadly with. Not to say the same would happen again, but he's not a silver bullet that guarantees us goals.

I await the "waaaaah, but neither does Fletcher" comments.

I think it'd be a waste of a spot to take out - presumably - a midfielder for a striker. We're only ever going to play one up front, unless you count the final five minutes and we absolutely need a goal. Even then there are other changes that would probably suit us better. Even with four strikers you're likely to have one guy that stands no chance of taking to the pitch. I don't see adding one more as being particularly useful, when he'll probably take the place of a midfielder who has a much bigger chance of getting on.

I suppose you could add a 5th at the expense of one of the younger players that WGS likes bringing in.

I'd still go with Fletcher, Naismith, Martin and Griffiths. Rhodes would be 5th in that, so if we somehow go for 5, he should be in, or if one of the four get injured.

Is there a max squad number?

Five strikers in a squad for Strachan's system is madness. If he was to change the system, then yes. But as it stands at least two, probably three, of them would go home without any appreciable minutes.

I can't see Rhodes ever playing in the EPL. He's been scoring in the Championship for years now and teams from the top league haven't tried to sign him. He's also the type of player you'd imagine Blackburn having no space in the squad for, should they be promoted.

McCormack on the other is getting on a bit (30 next year) so will almost certainly never play EPL football.

Think we'll just need to stick with Fletcher for now.

I can't see Rhodes ever playing in the EPL. He's been scoring in the Championship for years now and teams from the top league haven't tried to sign him. He's also the type of player you'd imagine Blackburn having no space in the squad for, should they be promoted.

McCormack on the other is getting on a bit (30 next year) so will almost certainly never play EPL football.

Think we'll just need to stick with Fletcher for now.

Clubs in the EPL have tried to sign Rhodes, but been scared off, understandably, by Blackburn's demands for £12-15m. If Blackburn ever get promoted with Rhodes in the squad, it'd be most likely with him as their top scorer, so I don't really follow the logic there. I could see him being used more sparingly perhaps, but not bombed out of their squad.

It does feel as if McCormack's time has come and gone, though he could still manage a single, glittering campaign. But, like Rhodes, he needs to crack the EPL to oust Fletcher or Naismith.

Fair points, he would perhaps stay in the squad if Blackburn were promoted but they would likely sign some proven top flight striker from Serie A/Bundesliga/Ligue 1.

I just feel if he was the real deal that many think he is, an EPL club would have already broken the bank to sign him.

So if you're demanding Rhodes and McCormack be in the squad, which two strikers are dropping out? I presume Martin and Griffiths, unless you're going completely mental and want either Fletcher or Naismith out.

Rhodes will not start either game, and is about a 50/50 shot of getting into the squad at all. Which is about right.

Good point, but I do believe both are more deserving of places than Martin and Griffiths.

Fair points, he would perhaps stay in the squad if Blackburn were promoted but they would likely sign some proven top flight striker from Serie A/Bundesliga/Ligue 1.

I just feel if he was the real deal that many think he is, an EPL club would have already broken the bank to sign him.

Yep. It's likely no club will sign him for that money if they haven't done already (unless he has another 40 goal wonder season like at Huddersfield)

Clubs in the EPL have tried to sign Rhodes, but been scared off, understandably, by Blackburn's demands for £12-15m. If Blackburn ever get promoted with Rhodes in the squad, it'd be most likely with him as their top scorer, so I don't really follow the logic there. I could see him being used more sparingly perhaps, but not bombed out of their squad.

It does feel as if McCormack's time has come and gone, though he could still manage a single, glittering campaign. But, like Rhodes, he needs to crack the EPL to oust Fletcher or Naismith.

From what I gather, Blackburn are desperate to flog him, but his wages are absolutely astronomic - circa £60,000 a week, I read. Given the muppets who Liverpool have signed on the basis of their goalscoring records, Rhodes could get a move to the top flight were he willing to take a pay cut.

From what I gather, Blackburn are desperate to flog him, but his wages are absolutely astronomic - circa £60,000 a week, I read. Given the muppets who Liverpool have signed on the basis of their goalscoring records, Rhodes could get a move to the top flight were he willing to take a pay cut.

But Blackburn didn't even let him talk to Boro or Hull (last year) - I don't think the club have ever let him get as far as wage discussions.

I think people are being really premature when they say Rhodes can't get a PL club. He's only 25 and he does have a solid scoring record. You look at that Boro bid and they weren't buying him for one season (they want to go up to the Premier League.) A team like Watford (not them specifically, but that stature) would surely take a punt on him depending on the market elsewhere. Suppose the fact that he's got four years left on his deal is really the limiting factor here, but in 2017 he'll have two years left and he'll be 27. That's far from too old for the top flight. Folk are talking like he's Gordon Greer or something.

Two goals for Rhodes today, one from the penalty spot. But with fletcher notching his first goal for months today and Strachans fondness for him, don't think it will be enough for him to start on Thursday.

The poles will be worried about him coming off the bench.

Archived