Rhodeswatch

F_T_Y

• Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Think the Rhodes argument for Scotland only holds any weight if he's actually playing well for his club. His form for bough even last season in championship was poor. Hope he comes back at Wednesday to the form he showed at Blackburn and Huddersfield but at the moment he's behind Martin Griffiths and Fletcher. Also he's 27 in February not a young prospect any more our best hope is that mcburnie pushes on and gets into the Swansea team on a more regular basis.

52 minutes ago, skippy2015 said:

Think the Rhodes argument for Scotland only holds any weight if he's actually playing well for his club. His form for bough even last season in championship was poor. Hope he comes back at Wednesday to the form he showed at Blackburn and Huddersfield but at the moment he's behind Martin Griffiths and Fletcher. Also he's 27 in February not a young prospect any more our best hope is that mcburnie pushes on and gets into the Swansea team on a more regular basis.

scottish strikers havent exactly needed to play well at club level to be almost guaranteed a game for country, it always has and always will be to who the manager prefers no matter club level record

True - there are a few variables like does he fit into system? Form? General attitude of player? etc but my point is up to this point based on form the last year or two he wouldn't be in my squad..... Rhodes isn't the magic answer to Scotlands problems he's never going to be a good / average striker in any of the top premier leagues in Europe which is what we really need. Saying that he will probably score a hat trick tonight lol don't think he's improved his game much in the last 6 or 7 years and hasn't really fulfilled his potential at the top level.

Does that matter? The point is Rhodes is doing the things people say he can't. If our 4231 was working properly then the 3 behind should surely be relishing flick ons, lay offs etc.

Obviously it matters. It's not that he can't hold up a ball, or flick one on, it's about how capable he is doing it.

These managers are using stats. They know his strengths and weaknesses. I hope he's improving and getting better as a player but we'll see.

One flick on assist proves nothing.

Do you honestly think that playing Rhodes instead of Martin is going to make a huge difference? Much of a muchness good championship players but not quality international players. When I think back to the stick kenny millar used to get from sections of the tartan army if only he was 25 he would walk into the team with our lack of good strikers at present.

Equally, neither does the formation completely negate anything positive he's involved in, especially something that largely transcends formation, such as assists, flick-ons from midfield

The original post suggested that because he set-up a goal tonight, he could play up on his own.

Pointing out that the assist came in a game where he's part of a strike pair is clearly relevant. It was a daft conclusion to draw.

The original post suggested that because he set-up a goal tonight, he could play up on his own.

Pointing out that the assist came in a game where he's part of a strike pair is clearly relevant. It was a daft conclusion to draw.

It would be relevant if he'd knocked it square across the box for his strike partner - someone who wouldn't have been there in our 4231. He actually flicked it on for an overlapping winger - something that is crucial to our 4231 (if it was functioning properly).

I'm certainly not suggesting one assist means he should start for us, but equally, I'm not having someone lazily wave the 442 card and not get called out on it.

Glorious. It's taken Rhodes until he's 27 to finally start linking with players, in one game, and we're back to proclaiming him the saviour.

I've noticed an increasing amount of folk edging towards McBurnie as the next "striking saviour", despite the facts hes completely and utterly gash and is only at Swansea due to being about 3ft taller than everyone else since the age of 12

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Glorious. It's taken Rhodes until he's 27 to finally start linking with players, in one game, and we're back to proclaiming him the saviour.

No one has said anything like this. Why do you always resort to daft hyperbole?

People think he played quite well in a televised game. People have said if he continues to play well he should be given a chance in the squad.

In regards to mcburnie it's all about his ability to improve. If Mcburnie doesn't improve and stagnates and doesn't have the correct attitude yes he will be another Kevin Kyle. However he has potential is good in the air skilful at his feet and has good hold up play. He's also learning and training with llorente week in week out which can only help him. Just my opinion but I think he will go on to be a full international but as you said he could be another Kyle / birchill / creaney/ Rhodes lol

2 different argument with Rhodes 1. Does he deserve a place in the squad - you could easily argue either way as our strikers are poor 2. Will he make a great deal of difference and have an impact on the team? - prob not is he really that much better than Griffiths And Martin?

Archived