Rhodeswatch

F_T_Y

• Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Back where he belongs, should bang em in no bother for Wednesday but can't see Strachan calling him up in March.

Thing is Strachan's usual strikers are Fletcher, Naismith, Martin and sometimes Griffiths.

Griffiths is struggling with injury and game time.
Naismith is on a long run of patchy form and has only recently came back from the fringes at Norwich.
Martin is starting regularly and scoring.
Fletcher is getting patches of game time and a goal here and there.

Presumably Wednesday have signed Rhodes as a first choice striker, so you'd expect him to play every week. If he does, it puts him ahead of all but Martin from the above list. And if he scores freely as you suggest, it moves him to the top of that tree.

I agree though, Strachan has nailed his colours to the mast and won't budge from the guys he reckons suit his system. Shame.

13 hours ago, dogmc said:

People that are desperate for scottish players to fail really need to reappraise where their lives are at. What an empty grim existence that must be.

As opposed to being utterly gleeful about the manager failing?

9 hours ago, Gordopolis said:

Thing is Strachan's usual strikers are Fletcher, Naismith, Martin and sometimes Griffiths.

Griffiths is struggling with injury and game time.
Naismith is on a long run of patchy form and has only recently came back from the fringes at Norwich.
Martin is starting regularly and scoring.
Fletcher is getting patches of game time and a goal here and there.

Presumably Wednesday have signed Rhodes as a first choice striker, so you'd expect him to play every week. If he does, it puts him ahead of all but Martin from the above list. And if he scores freely as you suggest, it moves him to the top of that tree.

I agree though, Strachan has nailed his colours to the mast and won't budge from the guys he reckons suit his system. Shame.

Why is it a shame?  It's not Top Trumps, and the person that's scoring the most goals isn't necessarily going to be the best for the team.  It's easy to see why he's been overlooked so far because he isn't the type of player we need.  Neither are most of the other ones, but they're much closer than Rhodes is.  

If he plays every week, shows that he's added something more to his game that makes him a better fit, then I fully expect him to be considered.  As it is, he'll be fighting out for 3rd/4th spot in the squad and very unlikely to get game time outside of a few sub appearances.  

Hopefully pick neither of them.

I would love to see us 'do a Wales' in terms of our striker and try Phillips, or maybe once he's more polished, Burke, up top.

Phillips is a big guy, fast and has a ridiculous amount of assists, I think he could do very well in the 'Robson-Kanu role'. Albeit this is purely theoretical.

With regards to Martin, my understanding is that his role for the majority of his Scotland career (before WGS tried to prove a point) is that of getting a big guy on late in the game and launching the ball in the box. I do see the merit of having someone like this in the team, however, I would personally like to see that role being given to Matt Smith. He is literally the definition of the late in the game swing it into the big man kinda player. I'll see if I can find a video of his goals, but basically 90% of them are headers, often very late in the game. Whilst clearly Martin has performed better than him at Championship level, I think Smith is more naturally suited to the role I believe Martin is realistically expected to play for the national team.

ETA:

That would involve creating chances though.  If we're throwing people forward, it's usually because we're up against a well organised side that we just potter about in front of.  Put it this way, I wouldn't trust any of our players, under pressure, in the 91st minute, to be able to put an accurate cross onto a strikers head.

Martin isn't used as a "desperation target man", and hasn't been in any of the past five seasons. He's a regular starter for every clubs he's been at.

An utterly bizarre post purely so you could suggest a completely average striker, with a worse goal record, who seems to have no interest in playing for us, instead.

10 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Martin isn't used as a "desperation target man", and hasn't been in any of the past five seasons. He's a regular starter for every clubs he's been at.

An utterly bizarre post purely so you could suggest a completely average striker, with a worse goal record, who seems to have no interest in playing for us, instead.

Before he got his run of starts for us, he was usually thrown on in the latter stages to little effect.  Whether that was as a "desperation target man" you'd have to ask Strachan.

I never once claimed he was used as such at club level, in fact my point is that he isn't.

Before Strachan decided to start him, which I believe was to prove a point, his role for the national team was seemingly to come off the bench late in the game when we need a goal and have the ball launched at him; a role he is not used to at club level.

My suggestion was that instead of asking Martin to perform this unfamiliar role we could give a guy who is much more familiar to the role a try.

Thanks for taking the time to shut me down on a point that I did not make though.

I never once claimed he was used as such at club level, in fact my point is that he isn't.

Before Strachan decided to start him, which I believe was to prove a point, his role for the national team was seemingly to come off the bench late in the game when we need a goal and have the ball launched at him; a role he is not used to at club level.

My suggestion was that instead of asking Martin to perform this unfamiliar role we could give a guy who is much more familiar to the role a try.

Thanks for taking the time to shut me down on a point that I did not make though.

I misread your post as being about his career, and not his Scotland career.

My apologies

Archived