Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

1 hour ago, Nightmare said:

Comfortable, mainly because his serve was on form. Didn't give away any cheap points and I don't think Copil even got near a break on his serve.

Coric will be much tougher next round, but decent start to the tournament.

Pretty much agree. Murray's first serve was better than it's been, but thought his overall game wasn't as aggressive as it'll need to be.

Coric has to play Herbert for the right to play Murray in the 3rd round.

I thought Copil played quite well.  Murray as usual just absorbed most of what he had (he hit some sublime winners) and just gave it back to him.  As people have said he was comfortable on serve, and looks like he isn't feeling the elbow as much as he was in Barcelona.  Although I did notice he had an unusually high net clearance.  He normally keeps it low, which results in him netting, but yesterday kept it higher than normal.

Although I do agree at times he needs to be more aggressive, I don't think yesterday he needed to be at all.  He is comfortable making a player take another shot.  Until his elbow is fully healed he might have to dial down the aggression.

Murray will be doing well to make the QFs in Rome considering his recent form.  He has been drawn to play most likely Fabio Fognini (probably the biggest clown on tour outwith Gael Monfils -only those two can go to the sublime to the utter ridiculous in the same point) and then Sasha Zverev.  QF and SF should be Raonic and Wawrinka.  Although Wawrinka could meet his Madrid conquerer Paire in his first match.

Edited by Loki

Tough draw but maybe that's what he needs. Zverev will have played a lot of matches over the last few weeks if he and Murray meet. Here's hoping Fognini has one of his off days in the first round. Pushed Nadal close this week.

Personally I think Murray has lost his edge since taking no 1 and cementing it at world tour finals. Hopefully I'm wrong but he does seem to have lost a bit of focus and direction.
Can't see him doing much in Rome and I can't see him match his final appearance in Paris.
But I wouldn't be surprised if he wins Wimbledon. He absolutely loves it there, pressure not like it used to be.... and it's all about Grand Slams for him now

Fognini beats the Italian qualifier in two straight forward sets, so Murray will face him in Round Two. Only tougher match would have been Del Potro.  Del Potro should sneak into the seeds for the French Open, but that's a first round tie no one would want if he doesn't.

An interesting piece of trivia for you tennis friends.  Andy Murray has retired twice from matches - both occurred on his birthday.  In 2013 against Granollers and in 2007 against Volandri.

Looks like Roger Federer is going shit or bust at Wimbledon. He has pulled out of the French Open and has already started training on grass.

Edited by Loki

I'm sure we covered this a wee while ago, but will he be able to pie the same tournaments next year as he has this season - i.e. all the clay court events?

It's a shame Andy is so out of sorts just now, as his clay form of 2015 and 2016 would potentially have seen him stockpiling ranking points this year. Granted, Nadal is running riot right now, but is he at his previous levels on the surface or even at Djokovic and Murray's level from this time last year?

From a rankings perspective no.  You can't use an exemption in the same tournament in consecutive years.  However if you had a medical reason you can elect to skip but you will get a 0 pointer in your ranking and a fine.

Nadal's forehand speed is up over 5 mph from last year, and his first serve is also showing similar increase in pace.  I think the level that Novak played last French Open is greater than what Nadal is playing now.  But Nadal is getting better and better all the time.  He's getting close to the lines again, last year he left the ball in the middle of the court.  He certainly isn't invincible but he is certainly favourite for the French in my eyes.

Great decision by the French Open.  Players caught doping should have to work their way back up the rankings.  To be fair to Sharapova she has done this already and has qualified for Wimbledon qualifying already.  A player of Sharapova's ability shouldn't need a wild card at the expense of an injured player or a young player.

The ATP introduced the Next Gen Finals this season.  Essentially it's exactly like the Race to London but it is only available for those players 21 and under when the season starts.  The top eight will qualify in the same manner as the ATP Finals.

The ATP announced that the matches played will be in the following format:

Best of Five Sets
Each Set will be first to four games (A Tiebreak at 3-3)
No Let, and no Advantage. When it gets to deuce the receiver elects what court the server serves from.
There will also be a shot clock.

If anyone has seen the International Premier Tennis League, it is the exact same format.