Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

2 hours ago, The-coo-shed said:

Fingers crossed that Zverev, Thiem and Nadal are in Djoko's half of the draw for the French Open!

Murray would need to make the second week to meet any of those players. Would be delighted and a little surprised if he made it that far based on current form.

Murray's draw for French Open:

R1: Kuznetsov
R2: Klizan
R3: Del Potro
R4: Berdych or Isner
QF: Nishikori or Zverev
SF: Wawrinka
F: Nadal or Djokovic

Seems ok but Del Potro is a horrible 3rd round draw. Think he might pull out though. Kuznetsov and Klizan are no mugs either.

Full draw:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_French_Open_–_Men's_Singles

Edited by The-coo-shed
Added in full draw

Murray's draw is quite favourable outwith Del Potro in the third round.  Although Del Potro on clay isn't as formidable as he is on the quicker surfaces, although the match will be on Phillipe Chatrier which plays quicker than Suzanne-Lenglen.  Although Del Potro's backhand has greatly improved it will be exposed on the clay surface.  I would pick Murray to win in no more than four sets every time.  Pella will give Del Potro a very tough game in the first round and then he would face Almagro.  A fresh Murray playing a tired Del Potro on clay would be a mis match.

Kuznetsov is the first round is an okay tie.  Murray dropped a set to him in the US Open in 2014, but that was still in his transitional phase after back surgery.  

Although he has been out of sorts, with Lendl back and an extra week and a bit for the elbow to heal I would expect him to make the quarters at least.  Although he could easily fall to Del Potro or Berdych with the way he is playing.  He struggled with Stepanek and Bourgue last year so nothing will be easy.  But you couldn't really have asked for a nicer draw. 

• 3 weeks later...
Indeed. An absolute superstar.
I always remember Alex Ferguson stating he watched a masterclass of defending where Maldini didn`t even make a tackle.
What a guy.

One of my favourite players growing up. So elegant and graceful. Could read the game brilliantly as well. I hope him and his playing partner at least win their 1st round matchup.

I also hope I look as good as that when I'm in my late 40s

• 3 weeks later...

He's had some run at it, and he's clearly the greatest British sportsman of all time.

Time to retire though. Leave when you're still at the top, don't fade away.

2 hours ago, Lex said:

He's had some run at it, and he's clearly the greatest British sportsman of all time.

Time to retire though. Leave when you're still at the top, don't fade away.

:lol:

Lex's trolling spilling into this thread. QLFMjQU.png

I threw the toys out the pram last March and said he was finished and he ended up having the best year of his career.

I don't think Lex is an actual troll and is just an absolute moron. Nobody who knows anything about tennis thinks that Murray is finished with, doesn't have a slam or two left in him or should even consider retiring. Only Murray knows himself if he needs a break though and his form has dipped this year.

Fair play for his comments about women's tennis but it's been blown out of proportion a bit and it wasn't casual sexism from the interviewer who was just asking the question assuming the conversation was about men's tennis.

1 hour ago, throbber said:

Fair play for his comments about women's tennis but it's been blown out of proportion a bit and it wasn't casual sexism from the interviewer who was just asking the question assuming the conversation was about men's tennis.

Yep it fucked me off actually. The journalist was quite clearly taking about men's tennis.  Murray bothering with semantics there was unnecessary.