RWC 2015

The Gudderman

Think we need to accept Joubert made a mistake and it happens. We had the benefit of the doubt in the lottery that is the scrum and he had a cracking spot to see the knock on for Ashley-Coopers 'try'.

It ranks as a 'what if' moment along with 'what if we could just have caught the fucking line out'.

More irritating over here (Oz) is the number of times the try count comes up as a way of saying they "deserve" the win. Err... Your kicker couldn't kick for shit, you gave away cheap tries because you couldn't defend sensibly and you gave away penalties in dangerous positions, so as the scoreboard shows, any 'deserving' is marginal.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's the most high profile. For a while he was considered the best ref in the world, which is why he got the last wc final which he made a complete mess of by letting McCaw do whatever he liked and pinging france at pretty much every opportunity. France were the dominant team in that game but didn't get many scoring opportunities because of the unawarded penalties.

He had a shocker in the Super Rugby final 2 years ago as well, pinged McCaw for a penalty in the dying seconds that Foley scored from to win for the Waratahs.

It was admitted after the game that it wasn't a penalty.

To be fair I dont think Joubert had a bad game, its the TMO that has had a shocker. On first watch I was convinced the penalty against Welsh was the correct decision as it did look like it came off Straus.I do beleive that WR had told the ref's to reduce the amount of time spent going to the TMO, but its infuriating when the TMO buts in like with the Maitland decision, does nothing (or if what is above is correct says no foul play) for the Hogg decision and then doesn't highlight the Aussie arm from the replays for the penalty.

With regards to Joubert running off at the end, I wouldn't be suprised if he has seen the replay's after the penalty has been taken and thought Im not sticking round here. The worst thing Joubert can be acused of is being a jobsworth and sticking to the rules. He would probabl be in more trouble with WR if he had decided to go to the TMO, although that would have been the correct decision, however you then open the can of worms of every single time you award a penalty the opposition captain will be in your ear asking for it to be reviewed.

The TMO apparently said in Jouberts ear piece that the tackle on Hogg wasnt "foul play". Shocking Yes, but he cant be held accountable for that. (Was mentioned on Sportsound earlier)

Fair enough, I hadn`t picked up on that.

That is shocking but if it is the case as you say Joubert can`t be accountable for that.

Really poor by the TMO and overall really disappointing that he can see Maitland`s intercept attempt as a deliberate knock on but doesn`t see that awful challenge as a penalty. The bizarre thing about the Maitland thing seems to be if he`d used 2 hands it would likely be deemed as OK even if his intent actually had been to deliberately knock on rather than intercept. What a shambles.

Tbh I'm more upset with the fact that the hit on Hogg was missed completely by the three onfield officials and the TMO.

I think that is the worst decision. On cool reflection you can see why Joubert awarded the penalty for offside. The late tackle on Hogg should have been called by the TMO resulting in a penalty (or scrum) as well as a yellow card.

Think we need to accept Joubert made a mistake and it happens. We had the benefit of the doubt in the lottery that is the scrum and he had a cracking spot to see the knock on for Ashley-Coopers 'try'.

It ranks as a 'what if' moment along with 'what if we could just have caught the fucking line out'.

More irritating over here (Oz) is the number of times the try count comes up as a way of saying they "deserve" the win. Err... Your kicker couldn't kick for shit, you gave away cheap tries because you couldn't defend sensibly and you gave away penalties in dangerous positions, so as the scoreboard shows, any 'deserving' is marginal.

I've read some if the comments on their websites - arrogantly embarrassing. Basically saying our 3 tries were "lucky" when the reality was they were down to great defensive rugby for two of them and a moment of brilliant opportunism for the other.

My mind mum was on holiday in Oz last year and she says she finds them to be the most arrogant big-heads she has ever come across.

I've read some if the comments on their websites - arrogantly embarrassing. Basically saying our 3 tries were "lucky" when the reality was they were down to great defensive rugby for two of them and a moment of brilliant opportunism for the other.

The nugget of truth in there is that Australia looked far more likely to score with the ball than we did. They'd rightly have been raging at themselves had they lost.

Time to move on. We'd be having a right go at e.g. England if they were still whining days later.

, Argies are universally hated by Brits, .

Really. I love the argies. Always good links between Scotland and Argentina in sport. Maradona played his first ever international against Scotland. And then demanded as a manager that first game be against Scotland

My second best team.. hope they win

Was just listening to the podcast of 5lives post match coverage yesterday.

What really struck me - a non rugby fan - as bizarre was the confusion regarding the rules.

Basically our captain Laidlaw, our coach Cotter, and the two five live experts Hastings and Dawson all claimed that TMO should have been used for the penalty decision after the game finished.

Then John Beattie - ex Scotland player - and I believe a rugby magazine and world rugby all commented that TMO can't be used in that situation. It can only be used for serious foul play or leading up to a try. Then their followed a period of confusion on the live radio where they tried to clarify the rule, and I believe they clarified it to the extent that TMO could not be used in that instance. There then followed a series of comments about how daft the rule was :lol:

So basically it seems that some our own captain and coach - along with some experts - don't actually know the rules of their own game.

Isn't that a bit... Disconcerting? What chance do the rest of us have of understanding them!

In fairness to them, that is absolutely no different to football. Just watch or listen to some of the ignorant rubbish spouted by 'experts' on TV about things like offside or handball.

Can someone clarify two things please:

1. If the ball had just hit Jon Welsh instead of him catching it would it still have been a penalty?

2. If Strauss did knock the ball forward then why not the scrum for that instead of the subsequent offside?

If the ball hits you and you can't get out of the way that should be an accidental offside. If the ref thought that he would have awarded a scrum.

The ref was playing advantage frim the knock-on. Totally different to football in that advantage is played in almost all occasions. Only in specific scenarios like a collapsed scrum is the ref not allowed to play advantage. When Welsh picks the ball up and the ref has deemed him offside he determines there is no advantage and stops play. As there were two infringements the ref always awards the one most beneficial to the wronged team

My mind mum was on holiday in Oz last year and she says she finds them to be the most arrogant big-heads she has ever come across.

A lot of them are saying our first try should have been penalised for off-side at the ruck. In actual factt a ruck wasn't formed as no Aussie was in contact with a Scot. The guys on the ground don't count as you can only participate in the game if you're on you feet or have just been tackled. It isn't stopping them having a moan about it though.

If the ball hits you and you can't get out of the way that should be an accidental offside. If the ref thought that he would have awarded a scrum.

The ref was playing advantage frim the knock-on. Totally different to football in that advantage is played in almost all occasions. Only in specific scenarios like a collapsed scrum is the ref not allowed to play advantage. When Welsh picks the ball up and the ref has deemed him offside he determines there is no advantage and stops play. As there were two infringements the ref always awards the one most beneficial to the wronged team

Thanks, particularly for the clarification over the second point. It's one of those things I've never quite understood - why a less serious offence can become a penalised one.

Not having a go at Welsh but perhaps he should have been more aware - I suppose it was an instinctive reaction.

So basically it seems that some our own captain and coach - along with some experts - don't actually know the rules of their own game.

Isn't that a bit... Disconcerting? What chance do the rest of us have of understanding them!

I'm quite convinced that huge numbers of sportsmen and women don't know their rules. It is certainly the case in football as well. In part probably as a lot of them aren't the sharpest knives in the drawer - and in some cases the rules will be quite complicated and they won't bother with all the minutiae.

It sounds like Joubert did nothing wrong except, maybe, doing a get away act at the end. He wasn't supposed to use TMO for the offside, and he was advised regarding the shoulder charge. He had a fairly strong game then had to make a snap marginal call at the end and got it wrong. He's not become a bad referee overnight - he's got over 50 tests and officiated the last SF & Final, afterall.

I'm reasonably forgiving in defeat.

A lot of them are saying our first try should have been penalised for off-side at the ruck. In actual factt a ruck wasn't formed as no Aussie was in contact with a Scot. The guys on the ground don't count as you can only participate in the game if you're on you feet or have just been tackled. It isn't stopping them having a moan about it though.

They were also moaning about their disallowed try - they obviously missed the knock-on (as Joubert did too) on the build up to the first try. It's not one they could have gone to the TMO for as it was more than two phases back.

I also see that RWC have come out and said that there will be no change to the TMO rules. That might be the case for the moment but I would not be surprised to see some sort of challenge system in place by the next RWC. It would certainly remove some of the bitterness that has followed this game - if you use up your challenges on frivolous claims then it would be tough titty.

Archived