Sectarianism just part of the national game

~~~

So you are a spineless coward who does absolutely nothing but you'll pay lip service to it on here making yourself out to be some sort of paragon of virtue.

Utterly pathetic.

Of course you would pull up said knucklehead and shout the nearest copper over wouldnt you?

I think we all know the answer to that

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Exactly (aabout agree with that definition)

So, aside from The Billy Boys and possibly The Famine Song give me an example of a sectarian song

The song to the tune of Daydream believer has a line about 'orange' or 'fen**n' b**tards depending on who sings it. That's sectarian.

On this subject, I was moved to re-read the book 'Sectarianism in Scotland' in the last few days. That study agreed that the vast majority of Old Firm fans don't fully understand the history behind the songs and likely don't believe what was being sung outwith of a football capacity. However, it only takes a handful to truly believe in their meaning for trouble to spring up.

Also interesting is that reports from the 1800's suggest that Brother Walfrid's setting up of Celtic was as much to do with keeping Catholics away from Protestants as it was to do with charity. BW hated the thought of Catholics "sullying" themselves by living and working with members of the other religion. Rangers then 'adopted' a hatred of Catholics in the 1900's and took it to another level. Basically, Celtic were started as a sectarian club and Rangers became one, so it could well be another hundred odd years before we ever see it eliminated as it's that ingrained.

Hi chaps, new user and outsider here, so gently gently with me please lol.

As I see things, Scottish football and sectarianism are intertwined unfortunately and two clubs in particular are to blame for it, no prizes for guessing which ones.

Until Scottish football properly rids itself of this poison then it can never prosper.

That's just my view.

Much of the evidence from that era suggests that the Irish, and therefore generally Catholics, were pariahs during this period QLP. I think it's unfair to say that they actively distances themselves. More likely were forced to associate with their own.

Your probably correct though that this inadvertantly helped foster division.

Much of the evidence from that era suggests that the Irish, and therefore generally Catholics, were pariahs during this period QLP. I think it's unfair to say that they actively distances themselves. More likely were forced to associate with their own. Your probably correct though that this inadvertantly helped foster division.

The book suggested that Brother Walfrid was terrified that using Protestant soup kitchens predominantly would lead to Catholics denouncing their religion, and preserving the Irish Catholic community in Glasgow was his priority ahead of charity. Of course Irish Catholics were outcasts at the time, but as you say self-segregation (such as Little Ireland in Coatbridge) did nothing to help.

Of course I would, I'm not a spineless coward. It's utterly hilarious that you even think your opinion is at all relevant now you've admitted you would do f**k all about that kind of behaviour.

It's not his problem SF03 ????. I bet there's a large number of the OF support who take that stance which is a shame.

Before addressing sectarianism, we need to address the number of people being hit by cars driven by Kilmarnock fans.

The current total of one made-up story is completely unacceptable.

The two issues are intertwined IMO. Clearly the Kilmarnock fan wouldn't have hit a Protestant with his car in work of complete fiction.

Before addressing sectarianism, we need to address the number of people being hit by cars driven by Kilmarnock fans.

The current total of one made-up story is completely unacceptable.

The boy is very lucky it wasn't a St Johnstone fan in his tractor. His made up story probably wouldn't have had such a lucky ending.

How many Magee's are we thinking are on this thread? I'll go for 4.

And FWIW if a Sons fan shouted something sectarian/racist then aye I would shop them. Don't want people like that anywhere near my club.

There are so many Magee's on this thread, I'm starting to wonder if I'm one.

On this subject, I was moved to re-read the book 'Sectarianism in Scotland' in the last few days. That study agreed that the vast majority of Old Firm fans don't fully understand the history behind the songs and likely don't believe what was being sung outwith of a football capacity. However, it only takes a handful to truly believe in their meaning for trouble to spring up.

Also interesting is that reports from the 1800's suggest that Brother Walfrid's setting up of Celtic was as much to do with keeping Catholics away from Protestants as it was to do with charity. BW hated the thought of Catholics "sullying" themselves by living and working with members of the other religion. Rangers then 'adopted' a hatred of Catholics in the 1900's and took it to another level. Basically, Celtic were started as a sectarian club and Rangers became one, so it could well be another hundred odd years before we ever see it eliminated as it's that ingrained.

Who wrote the book, out of interest? If it's from a respected expert or a group of established scholars then it'll be worth general viewing. The Scottish historian Richard Finlay for example has been quite outspoken about the history of sectarianism within Scottish society, though he knows next to nothing about Scottish football. I fear however that the 'literature' on sectarianism and Scottish football consists solely of offerings from failed journalists, NilbyMouth-type knicker-wetters, amateurs or worst of all, sociologists. All of which should be treated sceptically.

Archived