Scotlands last genuine world class player?

RobbieD

• 5 months later...
On 14/10/2018 at 23:32, Distant Doonhamer said:

1st post. welcome to P&B Mr Gullit.

Seriously though Cooper was a fine player. probably a yard short of pace away from being world class.  He could easily have played in any of the top leagues.

I knew somebody would recognise me 

• 1 month later...

Robertson's currently the best in his position in a top league and might be one of the best in the world*. When was the last time we were able to say that?

*I don't really watch enough European football to back up that claim but it sounds good.

Would put Alaba and Marcelo ahead of him but not by much. I'm sure people in Brazil/Spain/Portugal/Wales would put Alonso, Sandro, Alba, Bernat, Guerreriro or Davies ahead of him as well such is everyone's bias to players they know from their own country but he's certainly up there with all of them.

Robertson has not done enough yet over a sustained period of time to justify the tag -- but the potential is evident. That delivery!

Fletcher was a bit of a water-carrier. He was very good at it but hardly irreplaceable. When asked to take the game by the baws for Scotland at international level he looked pretty ordinary really. 

I'm tempted to say McAllister, but I think he was merely very good.

Sadly, I think you have to go back to the era of Souness, Dalglish and McGrain. 

The question that screams out is: why have we failed to produce anyone in, what, 30 years who's no better than very good or maybe potentially better? Wales have had  Hughes, Giggs, Ramsay and Bale in that time, FFS!

1 hour ago, Moses Supposes said:

Robertson has not done enough yet over a sustained period of time to justify the tag -- but the potential is evident. That delivery!

Fletcher was a bit of a water-carrier. He was very good at it but hardly irreplaceable. When asked to take the game by the baws for Scotland at international level he looked pretty ordinary really. 

I'm tempted to say McAllister, but I think he was merely very good.

Sadly, I think you have to go back to the era of Souness, Dalglish and McGrain. 

The question that screams out is: why have we failed to produce anyone in, what, 30 years who's no better than very good or maybe potentially better? Wales have had  Hughes, Giggs, Ramsay and Bale in that time, FFS!

Most of that is pretty fair but Aaron Ramsay has in no way ever been “world class”, not by any definition of the phrase.

I’d admittedly too young to have seen Mark Hughes play but I’d also be surprised if you could apply the phrase to him ether.

Most of that is pretty fair but Aaron Ramsay has in no way ever been “world class”, not by any definition of the phrase.
I’d admittedly too young to have seen Mark Hughes play but I’d also be surprised if you could apply the phrase to him ether.
He's certainly world class if you consider he would walk into a top 2 or 3 team in every top European league. The teams favourite to sign him are AC Milan, Bayern, Chelsea, Man Utd and Juventus. And he's also better than any Scottish player In my lifetime easily.