Scotlands last genuine world class player?

RobbieD

And the fact you've resorted to insults shows you've clearly lost the argument and have nothing to support your view. I think if we did a poll of who was a moron between person A who believes Fletcher to be world class and person B who believes him not to be then the result would be pretty emphatic.

It certainly would.

You folk seriously need to get a grip! a world class player is a player who would walk into any side in the world, would be a contender for a world XI and would be revered the world over. You seriously think a couple of bog standard midfielders like Lambert and Fletcher fit that criteria??? do you think ANYONE outside of Scotland or hardcore Dortmund fans remember Lambert? You reckon ANYONE outside of Scotland (even Man U fans) will remember Darren Fletcher??? get real.

Dagleish and Souness were our last 2 world class players.

I'm not saying he's world class because it's an entirely subjective term, but I'm fairly sure plenty of people will remember a player who set up a goal in a Champions League Final while marking Zinedine Zidane out of the game. Also Lambert and Sousa both started that game, so your contention that Lambert only ever played due to Sousa being injured is false.

Yes, I think Man United fans will probably have fond memories of a player who was instrumental in getting to a second consecutive Champions League finals. Completely bossed the midfield against Arsenal in 2009 and his missing out on the final due to an absurd refereeing decision was widely held to contribute to Man United being absolutely overrun in midfield, because he was by a distance their best holding midfielder at the time.

While we haven't had a player who could have been considered one of the best in the world in their position throughout their whole career for a long time, Fletcher and Lambert both had some terrific achievements in their career and I don't know why you're so desperate to downplay them.

They all played in centre midfield same as Fletcher. Essien, Toure and De Jong would all be classed as "defensive" and the 3 of them are FAR FAR superior to Fletcher. Or do you want to just keep narrowing down the criteria/role until Fletcher is the only one who meets the criteria so he can be classed as the best at that? Darren Fletcher wouldn't get in the squad of any world XI ever- and that is a fact and you know it.

De Jong is a horrific shout there.

Why must Scottish fans bizarrely put their own players down? You can think Fletcher is not world class but to put fucking Nigel De Jong ahead of him?

De Jong is a horrific shout there.

Why must Scottish fans bizarrely put their own players down? You can think Fletcher is not world class but to put fucking Nigel De Jong ahead of him?

I don't for a minute class De Jong as world class, he is a work horse/thug, but he is equal stature/ability to Fletcher. He has also played in a world cup final which is enough to make you 'world class" according to some on here....

Chlamydia Kid spot on here.

Fletcher was clearly one of Man Utd's weaker players, probably why Roy Keane famously singled him out for criticism.

You're a moron as well. Roy Keane singled him out at the start of his career and he then improved immeasurably to become one of their most important players during a period they won a shit load.

You would say that the 6th or 7th best striker in the world was world class, so why not the 6th or 7th best defensive midfielder?

because you can have 6 or 7 strikers in a squad and play up to 3 a game. Most wont even play 2 of Fletcher's role in a team and there is no way you'd have 6 or 7 of them. Fletcher could only do one thing, he did it pretty well when he did but he wasn't a stand out at all.

And the fact you've resorted to insults shows you've clearly lost the argument and have nothing to support your view.

:lol: that is outstanding, coming from the guy who said he was going to disprove the fact that Darren Fletcher was world class and has done nothing of the sort. As I said, you're a moron, this much is very clear. Edited by Mr. Brightside

Better midfielders in that era from the premiership? take you pic- Fabregas, Gerrard, Lampard, Makalelle, Essien, Toure, De Jong, Modric, Scholes all on a different level to Darren Fletcher.

Makalele,De Jong and Scholes were no better than Fletcher while Fabregas, Modric, Toure, Lampard and Gerrard didn't play the same role.

So really you're just saying that Michael Essien was a better player .

Edited by YassinMoutaouakil

Makalele,De Jong and Scholes were no better than Fletcher while Fabregas, Modric, Toure, Lampard and Gerrard didn't play the same role.

So really you're just saying that Michael Essien was a better player .

Scholes no better than Fletcher!!!

Utterly ridiculous. There's no point in the discussion if people are going to say things like that.

Tragic bonkerdom, attempting to exaggerate the contribution of a good, but ultimately lacking player, because he was Scottish.

Scholes no better than Fletcher- that's just marvellous. I did not think it could be done, but you've eclipsed the Davie Cooper guy.

The Tartan Army forum really is still home to this site's leading wallopers, isn't it?

I'll say it again just for the giggles. SCHOLES WAS NO BETTER THAN FLETCHER!

Edited by Monkey Tennis