Scotlands last genuine world class player?

RobbieD

19 hours ago, ONeils40yarder said:

Theres a few absolute whoppers in this thread, such as Alan Hutton being described as World Class for example...but to doubt that Dalglish was a World Class footballer really takes the fucking biscuit, Liverpool were the best team about and he was their star man, their icon and their best player (some would say ever). Have a word with yourself.

Firstly, this is a forum for peoples opinions. My take on Dalglish and his team are mine. You have just stated that he was world class and his team the best around, as if this is undisputed fact. Please now have that word with your own self. Also no need for profanity.

Firstly, this is a forum for peoples opinions. My take on Dalglish and his team are mine. You have just stated that he was world class and his team the best around, as if this is undisputed fact. Please now have that word with your own self. Also no need for profanity.

Because he was world class and they were the best team. In that Liverpool team Souness was also a stand out. Just because they are English we don’t have to bash them.

59 minutes ago, Dullard Bluteau said:

Kenny Dalglish played for Liverpool from 1977 to 1990, the last four years he was player-manager and spent more time in the dugout than on the pitch so excluding those, lets look at the period 1977-1986.

During this period Liverpool won three European Cups (1977, 1981 and 1984) and finished runners-up once (1985).  They also won it in 1976, the season before Dalglish was signed.  It's fair to say that they were one of the leading teams in European football during this period.  During this time period, he won five English league titles, a time when English football was dominant - Nottingham Forest (x2) and Aston Villa also won European cups, Ipswich Town and Tottenham won the UEFA Cup and Everton won the Cup Winners Cup during this period.  Arsenal also lost a Cup Winners Cup final.  

individually Dalglish played fifty or more games in all of these seasons - in five of the first six seasons he scored more than twenty goals in all competitions.  He won three English player of the year awards (two from the Football Writers Association, one from the PFA) and was runner up in the European Footballer of the Year award in 1983.  

I don't really see how anyone could dispute that Liverpool were a world class team  or that Dalglish was a world class player during this time period.  

5 hours ago, Shiresexsymbol said:

Because he was world class and they were the best team. In that Liverpool team Souness was also a stand out. Just because they are English we don’t have to bash them.

Sorry, where have I "bashed" them ? I don't dispute for a second that Dalglish was a great player. As for English obsessed, check the above ICT post for a Uriah Heap type diatribe.

Souness was more of a "stamp out" due to his violent play. Wouldn't have lasted 5 minutes in the Junior Ayrshire Leagues, lol.

8 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Kenny Dalglish played for Liverpool from 1977 to 1990, the last four years he was player-manager and spent more time in the dugout than on the pitch so excluding those, lets look at the period 1977-1986.

During this period Liverpool won three European Cups (1977, 1981 and 1984) and finished runners-up once (1985).  They also won it in 1976, the season before Dalglish was signed.  It's fair to say that they were one of the leading teams in European football during this period.  During this time period, he won five English league titles, a time when English football was dominant - Nottingham Forest (x2) and Aston Villa also won European cups, Ipswich Town and Tottenham won the UEFA Cup and Everton won the Cup Winners Cup during this period.  Arsenal also lost a Cup Winners Cup final.  

individually Dalglish played fifty or more games in all of these seasons - in five of the first six seasons he scored more than twenty goals in all competitions.  He won three English player of the year awards (two from the Football Writers Association, one from the PFA) and was runner up in the European Footballer of the Year award in 1983.  

I don't really see how anyone could dispute that Liverpool were a world class team  or that Dalglish was a world class player during this time period.  

Don't forget that the Liverpool of the era also included Alan Hansen who was a pretty excellent defender!  Probably had better "World Class" credentials than Souness

On 11/22/2017 at 09:10, Dullard Bluteau said:

I have no problems with people having opinions different from my own...that is unless that opinion is that off-the-scale that it deserves to be challenged.

Kenny Dalglish 'not World Class' is a humdinger

Were there any world XI vs games during Dalglish's time and was he included?
This - being the harshest definition of 'world class' - would settle the argument. Even if he wasn't in such a lineup though, the softer definition 'would be able to play for any team/at any level in the world' surely covers Dalglish.

1 hour ago, Gordopolis said:

Were there any world XI vs games during Dalglish's time and was he included?
This - being the harshest definition of 'world class' - would settle the argument. Even if he wasn't in such a lineup though, the softer definition 'would be able to play for any team/at any level in the world' surely covers Dalglish.

Dalglish was world class by most definitions but he played in a similar role to Zico who would probably have kept him out a world 11. In his era, of the attacking midfielders and strikers,  Zico, Socrates, Eder, Maradona, Kempes, Tiguana, Platini, Rummenigge and Cruyff (although a fair bit older)  spring to mind as being World class.

Dalglish was a success, and major player in his team, at Domestic level, European level, and International level. I'd suggest that means hes World Class

• 4 weeks later...

What would be the minimum requirement for a Scottish player to be considered "World Class" in the modern age? Clearly being an important part of a side that was crowned Champions of Europe isn't enough, as I don't think a majority on here would consider Lambert or Fletcher to have been in that category. There has to be some sort of criteria that a player would need to meet.

Going back a bit further, and crossing borders, there aren't many folk who'd disagree about George Best being a world class player, possibly one of the greatest of all time. Yet he never graced an international tournament, and his list of honours was remarkably short. There are people who consider Paul Gascoigne to have been genuinely world class, yet he accomplished famously little during his career, and was often as much of a liability as an inspiration. Is providing regular entertainment through flair, at a high enough level, enough to qualify a player for the 'world class' epithet?

Most importantly, has Barry Ferguson's contribution to world football been overshadowed by flash-in-the-pan, fancy dans who could never do it on a rainy Tuesday night in Arbroath? Discuss.

What would be the minimum requirement for a Scottish player to be considered "World Class" in the modern age? Clearly being an important part of a side that was crowned Champions of Europe isn't enough, as I don't think a majority on here would consider Lambert or Fletcher to have been in that category. There has to be some sort of criteria that a player would need to meet.
Going back a bit further, and crossing borders, there aren't many folk who'd disagree about George Best being a world class player, possibly one of the greatest of all time. Yet he never graced an international tournament, and his list of honours was remarkably short. There are people who consider Paul Gascoigne to have been genuinely world class, yet he accomplished famously little during his career, and was often as much of a liability as an inspiration. Is providing regular entertainment through flair, at a high enough level, enough to qualify a player for the 'world class' epithet?
Most importantly, has Barry Ferguson's contribution to world football been overshadowed by flash-in-the-pan, fancy dans who could never do it on a rainy Tuesday night in Arbroath? Discuss.

Barry Ferguson :lol: