Scotlands last genuine world class player?

RobbieD

Ferguson did go to England.
'Found out' might be a bit harsh given the injury he got, but he certainly didn't stand out in that more competitive landscape either.

I have mates who were season tickets at the time at both Birmingham and Blackburn. Both said he was a no-mark. Blues guy felt it was entirely down to Alex McLeish. Rovers guy said the common view was it was the closest big team to get him up the road after a game. Probably why he ended up at Blackpool.

Funny all his club's played in blue or orange.

Genuine World Class Player? I doubt we've ever had one by that description. Pretty sure if you walk into a bar in Brazil and asked them to name 3 Scottish players it would be a tumbleweed moment. "World class" for me is Pele, Eusebio, Puskas, Best, Ronaldo. Players who would do what they wanted with the ball and everyone else had to just join in.

By Scottish standards, Denis Law would be a contender. Souness for sure, as much for his personality as his football and he loved playing for his country. Ronnie Simpson could have played anywhere for anyone.

Genuine World Class Player? I doubt we've ever had one by that description. Pretty sure if you walk into a bar in Brazil and asked them to name 3 Scottish players it would be a tumbleweed moment. "World class" for me is Pele, Eusebio, Puskas, Best, Ronaldo. Players who would do what they wanted with the ball and everyone else had to just join in.

By Scottish standards, Denis Law would be a contender. Souness for sure, as much for his personality as his football and he loved playing for his country. Ronnie Simpson could have played anywhere for anyone.

How many Bars in Scotland could you walk into and get a decent answer to "name me a World class Hungarian footballer" in?

Never seen them play, but Dalglish/Law seem to fit that bill. Barry Ferguson was absolutely nowhere near it, nobody currently playing is near it.

Those players are the 'best of all time' or 'elite'

Totally different from world class imo

For me the likes of Modric, Marcello are world class because they have proved themselves capable of playing at the very highest level in the sport. Ronaldo and Messi are on another level again

It's all subjective nonsense tbh. I just don't really understand such tight criteria because it shuts down discussion completely

Denis Law won the Ballon d'Or in 1962, only Scot ever. He was also capped for Europe in 1963 and 1964, only Scot ever to start. Succeeded in England and was an early traveller to Italy (capped for both leagues).

He was definitely "world class" in the early-to-mid-1960s.

Edited by HibeeJibee

Denis Law won the Ballon d'Or in 1962. He was also capped for Europe in 1963 and 1964, the only Scot to start for them. Succeeded in England and was an early traveller to Italy (capped for both leagues).

He was definitely "world class" in the early-to-mid-1960s.

He most certainly was, I'd also add Souness and Dalglish( you walk into any football bar in Europe in 80's they are well known)

With regards to very good players we have had; last 30yrs Miller, Strachan, Hansen and Archibald. 20yrs add Colin Hendry, Paul McStay and John Collins.

Some decent future prospects tho.

29 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

He most certainly was, I'd also add Souness and Dalglish( you walk into any football bar in Europe in 80's they are well known)

With regards to very good players we have had; last 30yrs Miller, Strachan, Hansen and Archibald. 20yrs add Colin Hendry, Paul McStay and John Collins.

Some decent future prospects tho.

:lol: :blink:

:lol: :blink:

Very good player, probably best centre half we have had in last 20 years. Won player of year when with Man City 1989-90, was outrageous when Blackburn won league in 1995; and probably produced one of the best defensive performances I've seen in the 0 0 draw with the Dutch at euro 96. Never said he was world class, maybe you should read again. Or perhaps you didn't think he was a good player?

Be careful of sub concious bias; you're better than that.

World Class = would get a game for any team in the world.

OR

Be part of a World 22.

I'd agree with the post above regarding Sky Sports and muppet pundits who like to describe players like Jamie Vardy as 'World Class'.

We've definitely had a few - can't see how we didn't given the number of teams we've had making European Cup semi finals and short listed in World Player of the Year, but it's certainly been some time since we had our last one.

The definition should now be even harder to achieve given the professionalisation of leagues throughout the world, in particular Eastern Europe.  I'd argue even the English only have two that you would even consider (Kane and Alli) but neither are currently in the top 5 in the world for their position

On 02/09/2017 at 12:47, John Lambies Doos said:

His pomp was a wee bit before my time but I'm surprised he's not had more mentions. Perhaps because he was overshadowed by Dalgliesh? He played in the European Cup Final, and top scored for Barcelona (netting more than Maradona did the following season).

He's also a world class musical performer, being the only person ever to have featured twice on one episode of Top of the Pops.

His pomp was a wee bit before my time but I'm surprised he's not had more mentions. Perhaps because he was overshadowed by Dalgliesh? He played in the European Cup Final, and top scored for Barcelona (netting more than Maradona did the following season).
He's also a world class musical performer, being the only person ever to have featured twice on one episode of Top of the Pops.

Did he not also win the golden boot for Barcelona? Never had him in the WC category but definitely one of Scotlands highest profile players over last 30yrs or so

9 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

Genuinely intrigued by the Top of the Pops thing.

Was it with Scotland and Spurs in 1982?  'I Have a Dream' must have come out well ahead of the World Cup if it overlapped with Chas 'n' Dave.

On 02/09/2017 at 13:20, Bring Your Own Socks said:

I doubt very much if the average customer of a Brazilian pub has much knowledge of footballers from small European countries. They probably would not know Best as he never performed at the WC finals. More's the pity as he was brilliant. (just in case any Brazzers are reading.)