Scotlands last genuine world class player?

RobbieD

Tell me what period of time he supposedly turned in these "world class£ performances and I will name multiple better or at least equal players. He is just a bang average, non spectacular plodder who you lot only rate as he is Scottish.

I refer you back a page in this thread to LF's posts. And no you won't.

I just checked his career stats, he was only a regular face for Man U between 08-11, mark of a true world class players eh when your career lasts 3 seasons....

Lets be honest he was always amongst the most limited players to line up for United in that era. He was just a standard Scottish centre midfielder- receive the ball from the defence and then pass it (sideways) to someone that could do something with the ball. How can you even class him as a defensive midefielder? he couldn't really tackle, was weak physically, not particularly adept at breaking up play, just a bog standard nonentity in the grand scheme of things,

Edited by The Chlamydia Kid

Tbf Fletch in his prime was brilliant defensively, that tackle v Arsenal in the semi final of the champions league is one of the best I've ever seen, funny he got sent off for it though. They really missed him in the final.

He wasn't world class though, very very good in his prime though.

I just checked his career stats, he was only a regular face for Man U between 08-11, mark of a true world class players eh when your career lasts 3 seasons....

Lets be honest he was always amongst the most limited players to line up for United in that era. He was just a standard Scottish centre midfielder- receive the ball from the defence and then pass it (sideways) to someone that could do something with the ball. How can you even class him as a defensive midefielder? he couldn't really tackle, was weak physically, not particularly adept at breaking up play, just a bog standard nonentity in the grand scheme of things,

Well that is all lies. Nice try, champ.

They all played in centre midfield same as Fletcher. Essien, Toure and De Jong would all be classed as "defensive" and the 3 of them are FAR FAR superior to Fletcher. Or do you want to just keep narrowing down the criteria/role until Fletcher is the only one who meets the criteria so he can be classed as the best at that? Darren Fletcher wouldn't get in the squad of any world XI ever- and that is a fact and you know it.

Tbf Fletch in his prime was brilliant defensively, that tackle v Arsenal in the semi final of the champions league is one of the best I've ever seen, funny he got sent off for it though. They really missed him in the final.

He wasn't world class though, very very good in his prime though

I listened to his interview on Sportsound last week and the heartbreaking thing is his illness occurred when he would have peaked as a midfielder. So he actually missed the prime years. Delighted he is back but he said himself hes over the other side of the hill now.

Who knows what sort of impact he would have had in his prime. World Class? Probably not but we would have had a more than decent midfielder.

They all played in centre midfield same as Fletcher. Essien, Toure and De Jong would all be classed as "defensive" and the 3 of them are FAR FAR superior to Fletcher. Or do you want to just keep narrowing down the criteria/role until Fletcher is the only one who meets the criteria so he can be classed as the best at that? Darren Fletcher wouldn't get in the squad of any world XI ever- and that is a fact and you know it.

De Jong is the only defensive midfielder there and is an absolute clogger, you're clearly an absolute moron.

Darren Fletcher was from 2009 - injury every bit as good as Essien, De Jong, Mascherano etc.

If you're making a top 10 of defensive midfielders from that period, then he'd be in it everytime.

As I said on the first page, go and watch the 2 legs of the 2010 Champions League QF between Man Utd and Milan and try and tell me Darren Fletcher wasn't an outstanding footballer.

Darren Fletcher was world-class when fit. SAF even went as far as to saying that he would've stopped Iniesta running rings round United in Rome in 2009.

Goram was absolutely outstanding, but never world class.

Would have to be Dalglish and Souness. Before that? Davie Cooper & Jimmy Johnstone? Jim Baxter?

Grim(bo).

Darren Fletcher was world-class when fit. SAF even went as far as to saying that he would've stopped Iniesta running rings round United in Rome in 2009.

Would have to be Dalglish and Souness. Before that? Davie Cooper & Jimmy Johnstone? Jim Baxter?

I only saw The Slim Yin after he came back from Sunderland etc and his heart wasn't in it.

BBC Alba will be broadcasting a piece about him in a couple of weeks. Has anyone had a preview? Raith fans?

, go and watch the 2 legs of the 2010 Champions League QF between Man Utd and Milan and try and tell me Darren Fletcher wasn't an outstanding footballer.

Add him to the conversation when a topic is posted that asks for "outstanding/pretty decent Scottish footballers" then. Not when it is "world class".

Grim(bo).

Davie cooper? He was that "world class" he was only good enough to play for his national side 14 times or something! Another example of an individual whose ability was exaggerated greatly upon death.

As for your point about Fletcher stopping iniesta? Preventing a good player playing doesnt make you world class for god sake. The world class player is the one that people sacrifice one of their own players to prevent him being able to dictate the game. Was Alan McLaren world class for stopping Roberto Baggio playing in the early 90s?

De Jong is the only defensive midfielder there and is an absolute clogger, you're clearly an absolute moron.

And the fact you've resorted to insults shows you've clearly lost the argument and have nothing to support your view. I think if we did a poll of who was a moron between person A who believes Fletcher to be world class and person B who believes him not to be then the result would be pretty emphatic.