Scotlands last genuine world class player?

RobbieD

Not going to argue that he was world class but it's easy to forget that Jim Leighton had 50 clean sheets for Scotland....FIFTY! A German keeper with 50 clean sheets would be lauded but for Scotland that's an astonishing achievement.....especially when you consider these days even Gibraltar can score against us at Hampden.

well imade a rreasonable state me about Gordon and fletcher and explained it. Since then all its been is people saying nah that's not true cause i say so, without backing it up at all or having any qualifications tomsay so with any authority. I'm perfectly confident i do know more about football than those replying so far based on their replies.

But whatever I've made my point.

I thought you made the case for Fletcher quite well. You just need to accept not everyone agrees with you. World class of course being a undefined term open to interpretation. There's certain players that are nailed on world class (Messi) and others that are worthy of discussion, and Fletcher fall into this category.

I thought you made the case for Fletcher quite well. You just need to accept not everyone agrees with you. World class of course being a undefined term open to interpretation. There's certain players that are nailed on world class (Messi) and others that are worthy of discussion, and Fletcher fall into this category.

Alright fair enough that's a very reasonable post

Not going to argue that he was world class but it's easy to forget that Jim Leighton had 50 clean sheets for Scotland....FIFTY! A German keeper with 50 clean sheets would be lauded but for Scotland that's an astonishing achievement.....especially when you consider these days even Gibraltar can score against us at Hampden.

He's considered one of our best keepers. The German keepers with fifty caps would generally be considered some of the best in the world because Germany are generally one of the best teams in the world. Caps have to be considered against the country they were earned for, otherwise that Saudi lad who ended up with about 200 caps would be revered as the greatest ever.

I'm pretty sure Leighton conceded goals against the Eighties equivalents of Gibraltar too; they all do at some time or another. Shit happens.

well imade a rreasonable state me about Gordon and fletcher and explained it. Since then all its been is people saying nah that's not true cause i say so, without backing it up at all or having any qualifications tomsay so with any authority. I'm perfectly confident i do know more about football than those replying so far based on their replies.

But whatever I've made my point.

List those qualifications for us, so we've got some idea of how humble we should feel in your presence.

• 2 weeks later...

List those qualifications for us, so we've got some idea of how humble we should feel in your presence.

Well I don't know about you, Monkey Tennis, but I feel suitably humbled.  More humble than a very humble thing that has just come first in a being humble competition.  

I played professional football for starters.

Notice Robbie Neilson called Craig Gordon world class today actually.

If that's true, and it plainly isn't, that statement is up there with Lyle Taylor pulling the "When I played for Millwall..." line in Twitter arguments with third division defenders.  

I'm sure this has already been addressed but this thread is just going round in circles. 'World Class' is a totally arbitrary term that can mean whatever you want it to mean, so this all seems a bit pointless.

If you want to describe world class as consistently excelling in their position, at the highest level, throughout the majority of their career then that refers to only a handful of elite players. In the modern game that's guys like Messi, Ronaldo, Pirlo, Xavi, etc. and certainly not any Scottish player after Kenny Dalglish.

Plenty of players have periods of 'world class' form. Torres looked like one of the best strikers in the world for about 5 years and then looked like a total donkey for the next 5 years. Even Ronaldinho and Fat Ronaldo were practically finished by the time they hit 30.

For 2 or 3 seasons Darren Fletcher was undoubtedly, at the time, one the best, if not the best ball winning midfielders in the world. To a lesser extent, you could make less convincing arguments for Craig Gordon, Barry Ferguson and even (don't laugh) Alan Hutton who all went through brief periods of looking as good as any other player in their position at the time.

Anyway, point is this is a stupid thread

Anyway, point is this is a stupid thread

It's been fun though.

And well done for mentioning Barry Ferguson - it was about time someone had the balls to say what we were all secretly thinking.

Also according to the MotD presenter and pundits he was the best player on the park, credit where it's due, just saying!!!

Edited by King Kebab