Scotlands last genuine world class player?

RobbieD

A conclusion you base on..?

Your post. To be fair, perhaps we have different definitions of 'world class'. Maybe you think it means the best player in the world in your position, or one of the very best 3 or 4. Personally I don't and think that is unrealistic. To me world class means a player who would be comfortable in virtually any team in the world, and think Darren Fletcher for example couldn't fit that description any better.

He is a player who at his peak you could have lifted and dropped straight into the midfield of Dortmund, Milan, Valencia anyone in any country he could step straight into their midfield and not look out of place. To me that is world class. Gordon is obviously the same, he was one of the best keepers in the world, still a British record transfer fee for a keeper too.

Barry Ferguson similar but not as blatant a claim.

Surprised it's taken so long for him to be mentioned! The human pivot. What a guy.

Indicative of the sectarian bias inherent in Scottish football IMO.

If he'd played for Celtic, etc.

Your post. To be fair, perhaps we have different definitions of 'world class'. Maybe you think it means the best player in the world in your position, or one of the very best 3 or 4. Personally I don't and think that is unrealistic. To me world class means a player who would be comfortable in virtually any team in the world, and think Darren Fletcher for example couldn't fit that description any better.

He is a player who at his peak you could have lifted and dropped straight into the midfield of Dortmund, Milan, Valencia anyone in any country he could step straight into their midfield and not look out of place. To me that is world class. Gordon is obviously the same, he was one of the best keepers in the world, still a British record transfer fee for a keeper too.

Barry Ferguson similar but not as blatant a claim.

We do define it differently.

Barry Ferguson however, does not even meet your generous criteria.

Gordon, Fletcher and Ferguson - all very good players.  Excellent, even, for short periods of time.  But they're only world class to (some) Scottish eyes - nobody else would ever think of them that way.

Aye playing hundreds of games for man utd when they were getting to 3 cl final isn't that big a deal eh. Typical talking down of Scottish players imo, I have a friend who is Italian, they think Craig Gordon is brilliant over there he could have got a move to a top Italian club any time he wanted.

Aye playing hundreds of games for man utd when they were getting to 3 cl final isn't that big a deal eh. Typical talking down of Scottish players imo, I have a friend who is Italian, they think Craig Gordon is brilliant over there he could have got a move to a top Italian club any time he wanted.

Is there a reason you randomly just create accounts to troll the TA forum?

I have a friend who is Italian, they think Craig Gordon is brilliant over there he could have got a move to a top Italian club any time he wanted.

At least your mate got an amusing story to tell the folks back home after that conversation. Although he might have needed to explain who Craig Gordon was.

I wonder if Barry Ferguson ever regrets not going to Italy.

At least your mate got an amusing story to tell the folks back home after that conversation. Although he might have needed to explain who Craig Gordon was.

I wonder if Barry Ferguson ever regrets not going to Italy.

Wht? Gordon had a couple of cracking games against Italy so he's highly rated in Italy I'm not sure what other than Scottish cringe is strange about that. Nobody mention Ferguson.

Gordon is the record British goalkeeper in transfer fee paid, it's really you lot making the bold claim here by suggesting he wasn'top drawer, in typical Scottish talking down your own players fashion. Fletcher was described by AlexfFerguson as 'a fucking great player' and was first choice for one of the two biggest clubs in the world during te most successful time in their history. And you lot just can't accept he wasn't shite, it's not me with the problem here. If that isn't world class what the he'll Is?

Edited by Peppino Impastato