Scotlands last genuine world class player?

RobbieD

5 minutes ago, ArabGaz said:

Ashley Cole was an arsehole but he was definitely world class during his Chelsea days.

He was a quality player, as was Lizarazu. 

To me world class is simply a player that would be comfortable playing on any stage in any team. 

A player like say David Silva or Fernando hierro or rui Costa who you could drop straight into the real Madrid juventus or Argentina or japan or any team at a moment's notice, any league any climate any environment and they would fit straight in and not lower the standard of play or stick out as being struggling or out of their depth and not need hardly any time at all to adjust.

By that definition there are a lot of world class players at any time.

I think Robertson is that, you could put him into atletico madrids starting line-up away to Barcelona or Man City at old Trafford or Argentina at the maraccana tomorrow and he'd be find straight away.  To me that's world class.

25 minutes ago, ArabGaz said:

Ashley Cole was an arsehole but he was definitely world class during his Chelsea days.

It’s probably because of his private life but surprised it’s taken so long for him to be mentioned. Until he started his decline during Mourinho’s second spell at Chelsea I don’t think I ever saw him have a bad game - over a period of what, 10 years or so? Maybe an arsehole but an absolutely exceptional player.

FWIW it’s worth, I don’t think Robertson is better than Alba but I’d still say he’s world class, and I’m not one to use the term lightly.

Edited by eez-eh

15 hours ago, Darren said:

While everyone's made-up definitions of world class are all very interesting, the dictionary states it means "of or among the best in the world".  Robertson fits the bill.

Thats it in a nutshell...sitting here laughing at everyone trying to define it, when its easily definable via the use of a good old-fashioned dictionary.

To suggest Robertson isn't World Class, is borderline insanity...I'd also argue that at the peak of his powers, Paul Lambert was considered to be 'among the best in the world' in his position.

22 minutes ago, ONeils4Oyarder said:

Thats it in a nutshell...sitting here laughing at everyone trying to define it, when its easily definable via the use of a good old-fashioned dictionary.

To suggest Robertson isn't World Class, is borderline insanity...I'd also argue that at the peak of his powers, Paul Lambert was considered to be 'among the best in the world' in his position.

Even using the dictionary definition people will still argue about it.

Andy Robertson is a world class left back. For me that statement is indisputable as he is among the best leftbacks in the world.

However, "Andy Robertson is a world class footballer" is a very different statement. You're now comparing him to goalkeepers/strikers etc and a much larger number of players in general.

I do understand that that's a pretty thin argument but people will debate it anyway, mainly because it's nice to be arguing over whether a Scotland player is one of the best in the world rather than the worst.

Edited by Jaggy Snake

On 03/06/2019 at 20:18, topcat(The most tip top) said:

And in 1998 he was in the champions league final again.

There have been lots of contradictory definitions of “world class” but I think it’s a fairly well accepted principle that Class is permanent, form is temporary

Maldini and Baggio also played in that game against Rosenberg.

Milan fell to bits that season after Capello had left for Madrid.

But mid table Serie A is still better than getting relegated with St Mirren

Wtf are you talking about

The chat was about what was happening in 97

Not years before and years after

45 minutes ago, Binos said:

Wtf are you talking about

The chat was about what was happening in 97

Not years before and years after

Lets be honest, you saw lambert once in 1997 didn't you?  Davids was better than Lambert before during and after the 97.  It's not even close.

On 03/06/2019 at 20:06, Kuro said:

Saw him up close at Villarreal a couple of years ago in the second row of the main stand, he is unbelievable.  Quality, intention, urgency, intelligence in everything he does.

Watching busquets up close was great too, he is the boss of that team, all game you could see him telling the other two you take your position off me I want you here and you there.  Great to watch real top drawer players close up.

You are certainly making the most of this one off tourist trip. 

• 3 months later...

I’d say he is, but being on a list of the 55 ‘best’ players is not the reason for that. There are several non-world-class players on it.

That list is ridiculous, has nobody seen Marcelo for the last 12 months? There are loads of left-backs better than him now, totally washed.

1 minute ago, Tarmo Kink said:

I’d say he is, but being on a list of the 55 ‘best’ players is not the reason for that. There are several non-world-class players on it.

That list is ridiculous, has nobody seen Marcelo for the last 12 months? There are loads of left-backs better than him now, totally washed.

It was a bit tongue in cheek me linking that. Fifa's opinion is automatically invalid on any football matters.

But aye it's not controversial to say he's the best left back in the world. Debatable perhaps, but he's in the discussion.  

Out of interest(and if anybody has the time) I wonder how much that squad would cost???