Copenhagen

Alex_14

It's a short trip across the Bridge by train from Copenhagen to Malmo.

We got the train at about 9am and returned about 5.30pm the same day - Malmo is not really a tourist destination - the small Old Town is pleasant enough but we felt we had seen all Malmo had to offer in that time. Although Sweden has a reputation for cool and elegant design, Malmo Castle must be a contender for the Ugliest Castle in the World.

Malmo is ok but I suspect there might be better destinations elsewhere in Denmark or Sweden for a day trip from Copenhagen.

If you go again stay on the train for few more stops and go to Lund. Very laid back old Uni town, some great bars and best prawn sandwich ever.

• 1 month later...

Just booked flights and hotel for Mrs. cT's Xmas. She's a big fan of The Bridge and Borgen and I'm a big fan of Mikkeller beer, so ideal for both of us.

Not going 'til the Easter school holidays, so will check back here nearer the time.

Just booked flights and hotel for Mrs. cT's Xmas. She's a big fan of The Bridge and Borgen and I'm a big fan of Mikkeller beer, so ideal for both of us.

Not going 'til the Easter school holidays, so will check back here nearer the time.

If you go again stay on the train for few more stops and go to Lund. Very laid back old Uni town, some great bars and best prawn sandwich ever.

Eednud's on the money here. A train ride across 'the bridge' to Skane is well worth it - and Lund (like Uppsala further north) is an excellent visit.

At Easter time (certainly in Sweden and I suspect also in Denmark) look out for restaurants doing Påskbord.....the Easter version of Smörgåsbord. Good food and lots of snaps and pilsner.

Eednud's on the money here. A train ride across 'the bridge' to Skane is well worth it - and Lund (like Uppsala further north) is an excellent visit.

At Easter time (certainly in Sweden and I suspect also in Denmark) look out for restaurants doing Påskbord.....the Easter version of Smörgåsbord. Good food and lots of snaps and pilsner.

Thanks for the info. Want to cram as much in as possible in 3 days, including going over the bridge.

• 1 year later...
27 minutes ago, 50/50 Winner said:

Has anyone been to Copenhagen recently? 

We are going on Monday with the kids (aged 14 and 11) and looking for things to do. Any advice would be appreciated. 

I've been to Copenhagen a few times on business but only been to Skagen with my kids.

All I can say is try and make lunch your main meal as you'll get much better value for money - and some great food in 'local' restaurants.

Just now, The_Kincardine said:

I've been to Copenhagen a few times on business but only been to Skagen with my kids.

All I can say is try and make lunch your main meal as you'll get much better value for money - and some great food in 'local' restaurants.

Cheers man, we tend to do that when we are away anyway. We need to be careful with where we eat though because my eldest son has coeliac disease. 

2 minutes ago, 50/50 Winner said:

Cheers man, we tend to do that when we are away anyway. We need to be careful with where we eat though because my eldest son has coeliac disease. 

The local food is excellent...and they are aware of 'gluten' issues.  Eat herring and tatties and hire bikes for the 4 of you.  It's a wee bit like Embra but without the hills.

Just now, The_Kincardine said:

The local food is excellent...and they are aware of 'gluten' issues.  Eat herring and tatties and hire bikes for the 4 of you.  It's a wee bit like Embra but without the hills.

I've done a bit of research and there's a few places we will try. To be honest, most eateries are accommodating these days. 

I'd like to check out the National Museum of Denmark and also a wander around Christiania. We were thinking about a day trip to Malmo too. It's just a shame that Tivoli Gardens isn't open until April. 

5 minutes ago, 50/50 Winner said:

I've done a bit of research and there's a few places we will try. To be honest, most eateries are accommodating these days. 

I'd like to check out the National Museum of Denmark and also a wander around Christiania. We were thinking about a day trip to Malmo too. It's just a shame that Tivoli Gardens isn't open until April. 

The Big Bridge is brilliant to cross if you're an adult and I've done it by car and train...but Malmo is about as interesting as Paisley.  I'd stick to the city.

If you want to do The Bridge then stay on the train to Lund much better that Paisley/Malmo. If kids into Vikings then train to Roskilde as good Viking Ship Museum there. Shrimp sandwich is another thing you should try somewhere.

On Thursday, February 09, 2017 at 07:23, Eednud said:

If you want to do The Bridge then stay on the train to Lund much better that Paisley/Malmo. If kids into Vikings then train to Roskilde as good Viking Ship Museum there. Shrimp sandwich is another thing you should try somewhere.

Cheers man, I'll have a look at Lund. The Viking ship museum looks cool and under 18's get in free. 

14 hours ago, 50/50 Winner said:

Cheers man, I'll have a look at Lund. The Viking ship museum looks cool and under 18's get in free. 

Also in Roskilde is Roskilde Cathedral you can walk to from the Ship Museum, although a fairly steep hill. It was built in the 12th-13th century and is the burial place of Danish monarchy from way back when. If you like that sort of stuff then it's worth a visit.

On 2/9/2017 at 06:23, Eednud said:

If you want to do The Bridge then stay on the train to Lund much better that Paisley/Malmo.

Good shout, Edmund.  Lund's a terrific wee city. Same advice as before @50/50 Winner...look for local restaurants offering "Dagens"...inclusive meal with a hot dish, salad, bread, coffee and a dessert.

18 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Booked four days in Copenhagen in first week of April.

Got a hotel with a view of Tivoli Gardens, which is apparently central?  Going to give this thread a solid perusing.

Tivoli Gardens is very central. Went last summer for the Hibs Scottish Cup piss up against Brondby, stayed a bit further west out in Vesterbro, but even then it was only a 20 minute walk into the middle of Copenhagen. You're 10 minutes away at most from the main harbour, probably 5 minutes if you can cross the road without getting hit by a bike. :thumsup2