Copenhagen

Alex_14

Made this thread already but #ForumGate brought it to an early demise. Going with my bird at the end of September, further thoughts welcomed. Taken a keen note down of everything I was told so far.

Anyone been to the Opera House there? Worthwhile or not? Same question with regards to Go Boats - rent your own boat for an hour for £40, you can pilot it and all. Seems like a laugh.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A very short review. Really enjoyed it.

We stayed at Cabinn City, which was pretty much like a Premier Inn. The location was superb, right next to the central station. Room was OK, pretty small and tight but nobody goes to a place like this to sit in their room so it's irrelevant.

Nyhavn is definitely worth a visit - very picturesque and the live music made it a nice place to just buy a bottle of wine and sit by the canal.

We got lucky in that the Copenhagen Blues Festival was on and so we went to a show which again was fun.

Christiania is sort of like a mini Amsterdam, there's a bit within called the 'green light district' and you can guess what is sold. Weed's illegal there but I think the police just turn a blind eye. It was 'international happy day' when we went so there was DJs playing and a general carnival-like atmosphere. People of all ages were cutting about so it's not an issue if you brought kids.

I'll mention that I had a spacecake from here which totally fucked with my mind but I was fairly ready for that. Potent's the word.

We went on a GoBoat which is just a boat (not fast at all) that you can pilot yourself and go around the canals. We went for 2 hours and brought pizza and wine with us. It was fairly pricey but the more of you there are, the less expensive per person.

Norrebro is worth a visit if you fancy a nice place for a few drinks at night.

Christiansborg Palace was alright, we had a look at the ruins but that was a bit boring and just about walls for most of it. Exciting. We went up the Round Tower which gives a nice view although it isn't exactly a must do. Gave a nice view of the bridge to Sweden and for £2.50 you may as well go have a look.

The Botanical Gardens were surprisingly pleasant, just don't buy drinks there. We bought a lemonade and an orangina and got stung £9! Was braced for expensive prices but f**k me. Overall though, you can avoid spending a lot if you're relatively streetwise and don't go for food in tourist traps.

We spent £180 each over the space of 3 days and could easily have spent more/less. Bear in mind we're students.

The public transport was easy to use although we got a lot of info from our hotel who were extremely helpful. I'm pretty sure you can use the metro/trains for free if you like, it's just a trust system. We used the metro without paying one time since we couldn't find a ticket machine #rebelswithoutacause

Bit of a ramble, any questions, just ask.

The public transport was easy to use although we got a lot of info from our hotel who were extremely helpful. I'm pretty sure you can use the metro/trains for free if you like, it's just a trust system. We used the metro without paying one time since we couldn't find a ticket machine #rebelswithoutacause

Bit of a ramble, any questions, just ask.

Not the case at all. Half my group got charged £60/80 each for not having a valid ticket on the metro. I jumped off when saw the inspectors coming, they did however see me again at the next stop and not bother.

The metro was a bit of a pain to work out I felt. Also the machines not taking card or notes but only coin was a pain. Bar that it gets you around the city well.

Not the case at all. Half my group got charged £60/80 each for not having a valid ticket on the metro. I jumped off when saw the inspectors coming, they did however see me again at the next stop and not bother.

The metro was a bit of a pain to work out I felt. Also the machines not taking card or notes but only coin was a pain. Bar that it gets you around the city well.

:lol: scrap that then, I guess we just got lucky.

Yeah that's why we just gave up and got on without a ticket, because it was our first night and all we had was notes. Really not a lot we could do otherwise.

Has anyone made the trip across to Malmo on public transport?

Quite fancy going to Copenhagen next year but wondering if its worth going across for a day

Done it plenty. Get the train across right into Malmo Central. Definitely worth a day trip.

I've just arrived in Copenhagen, here until Friday!

Quite fancy going to Copenhagen next year but wondering if its worth going across for a day

It's a short trip across the Bridge by train from Copenhagen to Malmo.

We got the train at about 9am and returned about 5.30pm the same day - Malmo is not really a tourist destination - the small Old Town is pleasant enough but we felt we had seen all Malmo had to offer in that time. Although Sweden has a reputation for cool and elegant design, Malmo Castle must be a contender for the Ugliest Castle in the World.

Malmo is ok but I suspect there might be better destinations elsewhere in Denmark or Sweden for a day trip from Copenhagen.

• 2 weeks later...

From Copenhagen central to Malmo central by train it takes half an hour or so. I'm sure my open day return ticket cost around £17sh

Just up from Malmo central across the river is a beautiful wee place with lots of bars and restaurants. Certainly not the cheapest place in the world coming in at £6 a pint but certainly worth spending an afternoon there

Think Copenhagen will be my next holiday with the girlfriend (tempted for a few days by myself in Berlin before then) going to start researching the place.

Copenhagen is a cracking wee place. Looks wise a large part of it reminded me of Amsterdam. You should give one of the boat tours a go, it's a really relaxing way to spend a few hours