Travelling On Your Own

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Went to Italy on my own last year. Met family in Bari so wasn't alone the whole time but had a day in Rome before and after there alone. Been there a few times blready but it's a good city for doing on your tod as someone said - so much to see and plenty of others will be in the same position if you want to meet some companions

I'm going to go somewhere on my own next year, cba with a lads holiday again, currently single and Scotland ain't qualifying for f**k all.

Thinking a really smart Asian city, Tokyo or Shanghai or something or somewhere in South America/Africa just cause I've never been.

Spent a few days in Poznan and Berlin earlier in the month and it was my first time abroad alone.

I filled my time doing bus tours, walking tours, visiting museums and I managed to take in a game. I thoroughly enjoyed the experience. No hungover mates holding you back from getting an early start, moaning about your plans, spending the entire time in the same boozer. I've just booked up to go to Zagreb in December where I'll once again be on my own.

Doing a bit of travelling or a short city break alone is fine I reckon, but cutting about Ibiza on your todd is a bit rapey IMO.

What is there to do in Poznan apart from bevvy with your mates in the main square? :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I'm planning to go traveling solo next year for the first time. Im originally from the UK and will be heading out of Europe. My question is will I be safe as a black female travelling alone as I am well aware that the world is not yet colour blind.

I will be heading to America. Both sides of Asia and the middle east. So have any of you, (either black yourselves or travelling with a black companion) experienced any I'll nature? Including verbal or physical abuse?

Coach Hire Barnet

Not this isn't a door for a racial ill mannered debate. Just a 21 year old girl who is very aware that racism still exists In the world asking a question.

I can speak for Southern India, we had a real mix of races in our volunteering teams and nobody experienced anything bad in regard to race. Kids were naturally curious and the only slightly awkward thing was them stroking the skin of one black girl in our team. I'd also recommend travelling around Karnataka, Tamil Nadu and Kerala but maybe with someone as the scale of the place, the culture and the number of people can be somewhat overwhelming.

Best of luck on your travels.

I'm planning to go traveling solo next year for the first time. Im originally from the UK and will be heading out of Europe. My question is will I be safe as a black female travelling alone as I am well aware that the world is not yet colour blind.

I will be heading to America. Both sides of Asia and the middle east. So have any of you, (either black yourselves or travelling with a black companion) experienced any I'll nature? Including verbal or physical abuse?

Coach Hire Barnet

Not this isn't a door for a racial ill mannered debate. Just a 21 year old girl who is very aware that racism still exists In the world asking a question.

Have to ask why would you include a link to a London bus company in your post in a Scottish football forum?

I'll probably only be doing a week or thereabouts, so Thailand is a bit far methinks.

It certainly has crossed my mind. Madrid too. Possibly Budapest. There's always Ibiza for the closing parties too.

I've been to Madrid solo and it's fucking class.

Tons of people travel solo, no stigma to it whatsoever* and as long as you get out and about you'll have a great time. If you like being around other people, stay at hostels and don't be shy - it takes positive effort not to find people to chat with as long as you're outgoing. If you're more introverted then you'll be happy enough going somewhere that accommodates your interests.

*unless you're middle-aged and heading to south east Asia, in which case you're a beast

Have to ask why would you include a link to a London bus company in your post in a Scottish football forum?

I used to feel a little guilty about hopping on the "welshbairn is obviously a mass murderer because he goes to clubs on his own" bandwagon, but now that you're striking up conversations with literal robots I think I'm vindicated.

I would report you to the mods but I'm sure you're already wearing their skins as some kind of composite Hallowe'en costume.

Going to look into this to be honest. I've got almost 2 weeks worth of holidays to be taking before the end of the year and having not had a real holiday, I fancy just winding down and relaxing somewhere. Especially since none of my mates can afford it, have the holidays left or want to.

Having traveled I've met plenty of folk doing it on their own. Whilst I maybe wouldn't travel anywhere or for very long, it's certainly easy to find folk I'd imagine.

I used to feel a little guilty about hopping on the "welshbairn is obviously a mass murderer because he goes to clubs on his own" bandwagon, but now that you're striking up conversations with literal robots I think I'm vindicated.

I would report you to the mods but I'm sure you're already wearing their skins as some kind of composite Hallowe'en costume.

That escalated quickly.. :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Go to Rome. Cheap flights, loads to explore. The open top bus takes you round, get a hop on hop off ticket. The area around the Trevi fountain is great to sit with a glass of wine and some nice food at night. There's a Scottish pub called the highlander if you want to have a drink with like-minded folk. ** edit ** this also has potential for clunge

Went recently on my own, was class.

Done this in April on my own and loved it.

Also spent a night in the Highlander watching Champions League, tidy bird from Inverness working behind the bar. The boy that owns the bar takes punters to night clubs on quiet nights (think it was a Tuesday) so there were a few groups of two and three American girls in the bar.

Went from Rome to Barcelona for a few days which was equally good flying solo.

• 3 months later...

Ive been thinking about going to south east asia for a while now, flying into Bangkok from Amsterdam, From south Thailand going into Cambodia then into Vietnam working up the coast and the going in to Laos and back in to north Thailand working my way back down,

Ive had this planned in my head for months and it would be dirt cheap to do and although i worked in remote parts of Scandinavia the thought is rather daunting going on my own for a month or two.

Im also a little worried with the problems in Indonesia at the moment.

You only live once, make your world bigger :)

*unless you're middle-aged and heading to south east Asia, in which case you're a beast

Ive been thinking about going to south east asia for a while now, flying into Bangkok from Amsterdam, From south Thailand going into Cambodia then into Vietnam working up the coast and the going in to Laos and back in to north Thailand working my way back down,

Ive had this planned in my head for months and it would be dirt cheap to do and although i worked in remote parts of Scandinavia the thought is rather daunting going on my own for a month or two.

Not sure why you would be worried about what happened in Indonesia if your not going there, but it was hardly significant and nothing to be bothered about.

Cambodia and Vietnam are fantastic places, Thailand is decent. Laos is, well it's the poorest country in SEA and not much to write home about.

Cheers, ive got to admit im quire excited about Cambodia and Vietnam as this will be my first time backpacking im a little bit apprehensive, SEA looks fantastic and its cheap compared to going to Europe or America.

I dont know to much about the incidents in Jakarta tbh

.. this will be my first time backpacking im a little bit apprehensive..

Don't take a huge rucksack with anything you might need, you'll rarely be sleeping outdoors and if you need something it will probably be cheaper out there. Less is more.

Cheers, ive got to admit im quire excited about Cambodia and Vietnam as this will be my first time backpacking im a little bit apprehensive, SEA looks fantastic and its cheap compared to going to Europe or America.

I dont know to much about the incidents in Jakarta tbh

Used to live in Vietnam and absolutely loved it there. Cambodia is a little slower paced and just as great.

I'd be more concerned about the bombings in Bangkok than Jakarta to be honest. All in all the risk factor along those lines will be less than most other regions.

On the backpacking (and just a personal opinion), but most out here are utter wankers. It's far gone the '70's, all the places are easy to get around and it's not so much off the beaten track.

Worth considering booking accommodation via airbnb if you're travelling on your own. Did that last year and, if your luck's in, the host might give you a wee tour of their home town. Handy if you have hee-haw idea of the language. Wearing the kilt definitely helped!

Archived