Dubai

welshbairn

• 7 months later...

Going in September for a week, the comments in this have me buzzing for it  :lol: .

Anyone else been before that has recommendations for what to do? Staying in the Al Qasr, wanting to do a brunch, go out a couple of nights to the nightclubs and things like zipline/skydiving.

Been 5 times for holiday...stayed in the city once and the beach the other times. Really enjoyed it even if it was a building site every time. It's not a place to go if you're looking for culture or sightseeing as there are many better options, but if you are after a very comfortable beach holiday, and don't mind spending a few quid, then it's as good as anything I've been to.

We did the big red bus tour .

It basically took us up to the security gates of all the hotels that were outside our budget.

A wonderful way to spend an afternoon in 100 degree sunshine.

• 2 weeks later...

Just left Dubai, thought it was sound like. Heard all these hunners of pounds for a meal and a pint pish, what a load of shite. 3 days enough though

Depends on where you go re pricing..but no sane person can enjoy Dubai for more then 3 days unless they are there for work.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

My sister is getting married in Dubai in March.

Three nights in the Hilton - The Walk, bed and breakfast so we'll fill up each morning and not spend another penny in there because the prices will be silly.

Brunch on the Friday, we're taking the kids so I imagine it's a nice chilled out afternoon.

She gets married on the Saturday at 4pm so all food and drink :guinness is already paid for. We'll spend the morning in the pool/beach.

Legoland on the Monday so the wee ones can have a nice day about them.

I'm actually really looking forward to it, I think three days will be more than enough. Especially with the kids.

• 3 weeks later...

Went 9 years ago and thought the level of service was different class. Stayed at the le meridian spa and beach resort. It was the end of the football season and the place of full of footballers.
Heading back again next month and have been recommended to stay at the fairmount on the palm.
Canny wait!

• 7 months later...

I've been offered a teaching job out there next year. Considering it as the money is great, but also got reservations.

Anyone who has lived there got an honest assessment of what it is like to live there for a year?

39 minutes ago, JMDP said:

I've been offered a teaching job out there next year. Considering it as the money is great, but also got reservations.

Anyone who has lived there got an honest assessment of what it is like to live there for a year?

Make sure the location is good, and ask about the accommodation, especially if you don't initially have a car.  You don't want to be stuck in a shitty apartment on the outskirts of the city.  It's perfectly fine if a little sterile.   If the money's great, go for it.

On 03/10/2017 at 12:59, JMDP said:

I work with people who are moving/working over there, and things have gone down hill rapidly recently with the oil price drop apparently.

Everything is a fortune, wages aren't as high as they were and a lot of businesses that hire expats are closing down. Make sure that your potential employer is secure as a business, as workers don't have the same rights as they do at home and I've known of doctors to be let go with very little notice when things start to get tough.

In saying that the money will still be better than it is at home and, assuming the job is secure and you have a decent housing allowance/standard of accommodation provided, it'll be a great experience for you. Just take plenty of things with you, as buying even wee things like T-Shirts is an awful lot dearer than it is in Europe!

Thanks chaps. It's a well established private school so pretty secure. It's a decent opportunity, but I'm not sure about it morally or being surrounded by dickhead expats.

Got plenty of time to think about it tbh.