Dubai

welshbairn

The quality of hotels, beaches and restaurants is insanely hight. Transportation is cheap, up-to-date and convenient. It's family friendly (unlike many other parts of the region), the weather's great, and, I guess, there's always the shopping.

So long as you've got a bit to spend, there are few better places for a stress free break.

If you are doing things on a budget, then no, it's not somewhere I would choose either.

The quality of hotels, beaches and restaurants is insanely hight. Transportation is cheap, up-to-date and convenient. It's family friendly (unlike many other parts of the region), the weather's great, and, I guess, there's always the shopping.

So long as you've got a bit to spend, there are few better places for a stress free break.

If you are doing things on a budget, then no, it's not somewhere I would choose either.

...and thats why I fly out there on Wednesday...anywhere that uses Ferraris for burger deliveries and an ATM machine that dispenses gold bars must be good!

My friend lives out there so I went to visit him at the tail end of last year.

I thought it was a cool place worth a three or four day visit. It's definitely in a state of flux though, building work absolutely everywhere and a load of the streets don't look finished yet.

The public transport is good and you can probably do it on a budget if you ignore the western big chains and buy food from the old town or independent food places.The old town is strange next to the opulence of the rest of the place.

We went to a couple of games in the Arabian Gulf League which were all free and absolutely shite.

I got absolutely wrecked at the Irish village along with every other ex pat out there, it was like Sauchiehall Street at 3am.

The one time I went for a break was specifically to do nothing at all, except swan around in a bit of decadence. I needed to do it at the time, and most likely won't do it again, but I can't say I didn't enjoy it.

We're going for four nights as part of our honeymoon (Mauritius for 12 after) in December. Haven't really looked that far in to it outwith our hotel, and the brunches. They look absolutely incredible though to be honest. Luxurious, decadent and relaxing, which will be basically exactly what we're looking for.

I live & work in Dubai, I used to think it was a marmite city, you either loved it or hated it. I've lived here for 2 years now and it's a bit meh. It has it's good points - nightlife, weather, diversity of cultures, safety etc. it also has it's bad points, superficial, super expensive, arsehole ex-pats etc.

As a holiday destination it's great for 5 or 6 days, the quality of service at even 3* hotels is excellent. Pick the right time of year to visit and you will have a great time. Abu Dhabi is a nicer, more established city, Dubai is a building site.

We're going for four nights as part of our honeymoon (Mauritius for 12 after) in December. Haven't really looked that far in to it outwith our hotel, and the brunches. They look absolutely incredible though to be honest. Luxurious, decadent and relaxing, which will be basically exactly what we're looking for.

What days are you here? Brunch is Fridays (some places do Saturdays) if you plan having a brunch, I would recommend The Westin the location is amazing and it's not a rowdy crowd. It's very much a couples brunch- best selection of food I've seen at any brunch here. If it's your honeymoon I would recommend an evening Desert Safari, cocktails at Burj Al Arab & a trip

To Abu Dhabi to see the Grand Mosque.

I don't fancy Vegas and never considered Dubai as a holiday destination. That said, if you've a few days to spare at the end/start of a holiday, it's definitely worth a visit. Dubai is now the busiest "hub" in the world so for anyone travelling to SE Asia / Indian sub-continent/ Australasia, it's a likely stopping point

We're going to Vegas tomorrow :lol: One of my fiancees friends are getting married there on Thursday so we're heading out for the week. Was there last year, great place.

What days are you here? Brunch is Fridays (some places do Saturdays) if you plan having a brunch, I would recommend The Westin the location is amazing and it's not a rowdy crowd. It's very much a couples brunch- best selection of food I've seen at any brunch here. If it's your honeymoon I would recommend an evening Desert Safari, cocktails at Burj Al Arab & a trip
To Abu Dhabi to see the Grand Mosque.

I think we're there Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday night, then leave on the Saturday, so I'd guess it'll be the Friday we'll do. Cheers for the tips, the sister and brother in law of the folk that are getting married thursday are moving out to Dubai soon, so hoping they can give us a few tips as well and we'll probably go for the brunch with them as they're going to miss the wedding. As I say, haven't looked much in to it, but will do in the next month or two. Next week and then Berlin for the Stag Doo are the focus first though.

Where are you staying in Mauritius?