By election updates

Mr Rational

go on..........
I don't want to get too specific on here as it's probably a disciplinary offence and given what went on in GN i would rather not go down that road.
I would characterise it as chief officers go to elected members and say we think you should spend x on children, y on environment and z on housing. elected members might then come back and say we think it should be z on environment and y on housing.
What x, y and z are then actually spent on once what sits in each accounting unit has been decided is again up to officers.
Would you dispute that?

Without giving any specifics that would incriminate me I would back this up completely.

Labour MP Jamie Reed going to resign this afternoon apparently. One of Corbyn's biggest critics.

Only held the seat by a couple thousand from the Tories in 2015, but it's Northern so interesting to see how UKIP do. Plus, if they take votes from Labour, it will help the Tories.

On 12/18/2016 at 22:19, invergowrie arab said:

go on..........

I don't want to get too specific on here as it's probably a disciplinary offence and given what went on in GN i would rather not go down that road.

I would characterise it as chief officers go to elected members and say we think you should spend x on children, y on environment and z on housing. elected members might then come back and say we think it should be z on environment and y on housing.

What x, y and z are then actually spent on once what sits in each accounting unit has been decided is again up to officers.

Would you dispute that?

Don't understand the bit in italics but it doesn't seem relevant.

Certainly the bit in bold is not my experience, though my experience may be out of date.

Going back to your original post; the amount that can be spent outwith stautory obligations is minimal.  Probably even more so now than in the past given the continual pressure on local authority budgets.

The amount of political direction on policy, and therefor on spending on specific services outwith the statutory obligation, will be different Council to Council and probably on department to department depending upon how forceful each Council and each Councillor feels they need to be.  Of course much of the time there will be unanimity amongst officials and politicians, including politicians from different political parties.

The overiding issue is should the delivery of local services be driven/directed by democratically accountable elected representatives.  I think they should.

Labour MP Jamie Reed going to resign this afternoon apparently. One of Corbyn's biggest critics.

Only held the seat by a couple thousand from the Tories in 2015, but it's Northern so interesting to see how UKIP do. Plus, if they take votes from Labour, it will help the Tories.

If it was a Tory gain, it would be the first time since 1982 that a governing party gained a seat in a by election. And that was down to both being at the height of the Falklands War and the Labour MP at the time defecting to the SDP.

2 hours ago, Sooky said:

No matter what he's claiming, it's pretty obvious it's because of Corbyn that he's going. Paul Nuttall's first proper test as a leader & failure by Labour to keep this seat could trigger off others jumping ship. Certainly the locals only let Labour keep it because Reed was so up the nuclear industry's arses, but it's almost written in the stars that Corbyn & the Momentum lot will interfere with the selection process to put one of their own kind up for it.

Could be interesting.

3 hours ago, shieldhillsmithy said:

Talk of Labour parachuting Ed Balls in 

No chance!

http://www.nwemail.co.uk/news/barrow/Barrow-South-Lakeland-and-Copeland-EU-Referendum-results-1a0d985d-8eb9-4147-97fe-95abf43abb3c-ds

COPELAND RESULT

23,528 to Leave. 14,419 to Remain. 28 rejected papers

— Whitehaven News (@WhitehavenNews) June 24, 2016"

UKIP could do a lot of damage. Paul Nuttall, UKIP's new leader, represents the NW region. He may even be the candidate.

1 hour ago, Bishop Briggs said:

No chance!

http://www.nwemail.co.uk/news/barrow/Barrow-South-Lakeland-and-Copeland-EU-Referendum-results-1a0d985d-8eb9-4147-97fe-95abf43abb3c-ds

COPELAND RESULT

23,528 to Leave. 14,419 to Remain. 28 rejected papers

— Whitehaven News (@WhitehavenNews) June 24, 2016"

UKIP could do a lot of damage. Paul Nuttall, UKIP's new leader, represents the NW region. He may even be the candidate.

UKIP s only role will be to take votes off Labour. The tories will probably have a decent shot at taking this imo. 

Actually a tough by election for all three parties. The Tories could lose votes to UKIP over being too slow to go for a hard Brexit, but the kipper polling has been poor. Then Labour could lose votes to UKIP over being too remain, too urban liberal and they could lose votes to a reinvigorated Lib Dems. But the big winner will be "did not vote". Really not a Corbyn seat, but also not really one I would expect Momentum to have a big presence in. For a seat Labour got over 50% of the votes in as recent as 2005 and have held since its creation in 1983, it is staggering that they are not nailed on favourites at a by election. My gut instinct is the Tories will pick it up as Labour will lose a small portion of votes to UKIP and the LDs over being not out\in enough and being too Corbynite\Islington for rural Cumbria. 

Edited by dorlomin

• 3 weeks later...

They've also pinched Gade Valley in the Three Rivers from the Tories on a 24% swing.

Place your bets now on a certain someone rushing to rejoin now "the cockroachs" appear to have been forgiven by the electorate.

To think we thought last year was barmy - all this, & Cyprus reunification too.

P.S. There appears to be a rational explanation for the result:

Labour's new candidate was the head of the Sunderland branch of Momentum, who are about as popular in Sunderland as a Newcastle United shop would be. Talk about a perfect storm.

Edited by WaffenThinMint

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting to see the Scottish Libertarian Party turning up - unless this was a member of the English party who decided to stand (the Libertarian Party UK - LPUK - which covers England, Wales and Cornwall) in the SLP's patch. A complete political irrelevence, but used to have some interesting nutters (sometimes in a WTF sort of way) such as Old Holborn & Obnoxio The Clown back in the day.

Labour's doom continues - not so sure about whether the Tories simply picked up what would have been the LibDem & UKIP votes.

7 hours ago, glasgow-sheep said:

Kilmarnock East & Hurlford (East Ayshire) result:
SNP: 48.7% (+2.1)
LAB: 29.4% (-16.6)
CON: 20.1% (+12.7)
LBT: 1.8% (+1.8)

Tories hoovering up the yoon vote I presume. Idiots didn't realise they needed to vote lab to beat their hated snp

Not really given the by-election was fought under STV rather than FPTP.

9 hours ago, glasgow-sheep said:

Kilmarnock East & Hurlford (East Ayshire) result:
SNP: 48.7% (+2.1)
LAB: 29.4% (-16.6)
CON: 20.1% (+12.7)
LBT: 1.8% (+1.8)

Tories hoovering up the yoon vote I presume. Idiots didn't realise they needed to vote lab to beat their hated snp

On the face of it that suggest a large number of previous Labour voters changing their vote to Tory.  That is shocking and sad.

There could, of course, be other explanations.