2016 Holiday/Travel Plans

Mitch

Got back from Bali yesterday. Place was absolutely tremendous. Expensive to get there, but the value for money when you arrive, especially in terms of accommodation is outstanding.

Has to be one of the most naturally beautiful places on the planet, and a lot of what has been put there by humans just adds to it. The Gili islands in particular were outstanding in that respect. Would love to spend more time there and see a bit more of it. Just a pity it's so fucking far away.

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, Ross. said:

Got back from Bali yesterday. Place was absolutely tremendous. Expensive to get there, but the value for money when you arrive, especially in terms of accommodation is outstanding.

Has to be one of the most naturally beautiful places on the planet, and a lot of what has been put there by humans just adds to it. The Gili islands in particular were outstanding in that respect. Would love to spend more time there and see a bit more of it. Just a pity it's so fucking far away.

Off to the Gili's tomorrow. Really looking forward to chilling out. 

4 minutes ago, Booker_d said:

Off to the Gili's tomorrow. Really looking forward to chilling out. 

Which one are you going to? We had 4 days on Gili Air, but didn't have the time to get to Gili T unfortunately. Found the horse and cart taxis a bit bizarre and quite comical, but the place was outstanding. Great value for money with regards to digs, and the food and drink was tremendous too. The mirrored shades hiding my wandering eyes probably saved more than the odd argument with the missus, though I'm not sure even that could have ruined the atmosphere there.

Which one are you going to? We had 4 days on Gili Air, but didn't have the time to get to Gili T unfortunately. Found the horse and cart taxis a bit bizarre and quite comical, but the place was outstanding. Great value for money with regards to digs, and the food and drink was tremendous too. The mirrored shades hiding my wandering eyes probably saved more than the odd argument with the missus, though I'm not sure even that could have ruined the atmosphere there.

On Air just now. Kind of disappointed so far mainly due to the amount of litter all over the place. Been on many various similar islands over the years and this is one of the dirtiest. Lots of building works going on too but i'd heard that was happening.

I have brought my reflective sunglasses based on your advice. Wise wise words [emoji1]

On 23.10.2016 at 03:24, Booker_d said:

On Air just now. Kind of disappointed so far mainly due to the amount of litter all over the place. Been on many various similar islands over the years and this is one of the dirtiest. Lots of building works going on too but i'd heard that was happening.

I have brought my reflective sunglasses based on your advice. Wise wise words emoji1.png

With regards to the litter, I found that to be the case about Bali in general and not just the islands. From what I could work out too it didn't really seem to be the tourists who were just dumping their shit without thinking about it, I got the impression that a lot of the hostels and hotels would just dump their stuff and that was the end of it. The beaches were extremely clean, though on Gili A there is a lot of coral washed up around large parts of it, which ripped my feet to shreds. The area around Scallywags is probably the best part as far as the beach goes, and the talent.

On 10/24/2016 at 14:17, Ross. said:
With regards to the litter, I found that to be the case about Bali in general and not just the islands. From what I could work out too it didn't really seem to be the tourists who were just dumping their shit without thinking about it, I got the impression that a lot of the hostels and hotels would just dump their stuff and that was the end of it. The beaches were extremely clean, though on Gili A there is a lot of coral washed up around large parts of it, which ripped my feet to shreds. The area around Scallywags is probably the best part as far as the beach goes, and the talent.

Much preferred Gili T, which I didn't expect. Stayed in the north of the island where it was really quiet, don't think I could have handled down at the main area on the east side. North was how I expected Air to be, although Air did grow on me after a couple days to be fair. Would definitely go back but would spend all my time on T next time.

Just now, doulikefish said:

Just sorted out the usual Abu Dhabi mini break for later on this month

Where do you tend to stay in AD, young Fishy?  I've been both there and Dubai a fair few times on business and never saw it as a holiday destination.  That being said I was a 'volcano victim' in 2010 and that nice Mr Branson put us up in a Grand Hyatt near Dubai airport for a week and the food was utterly brilliant.

AD does seem more like a proper place compared to Dubai, though.

Just now, The_Kincardine said:

Where do you tend to stay in AD, young Fishy?  I've been both there and Dubai a fair few times on business and never saw it as a holiday destination.  That being said I was a 'volcano victim' in 2010 and that nice Mr Branson put us up in a Grand Hyatt near Dubai airport for a week and the food was utterly brilliant.

AD does seem more like a proper place compared to Dubai, though.

http://www.lemeridienabudhabi.com/?PS=LGEN_AA_DEMA_CGGL_TPRP&SWAQ=7M96&audland=ENAudience&audbrand=LeMeridienAudience&auddest=AbuDhabiAudience

Tend to stay there,excellent location and a few bars,proper bars not hotel lobbys ala dubai,and a really good pool/beach area.Also walking distance to plenty bars and restaurants in the area.But as usual theres a massive shopping mall within 5 mins to keep the better half happy aswell

Keeping with the slightly off-topic posts above, would say I find Dubai has everything you could want for a holiday - plenty shopping, hotels, choice of restaurants and a great beach and not forgetting the weather. If it has a weakness it would be the lack of 'casual' bars but the couple of hotels I've stayed in have had 'real' bars as well as the Lobby style mentioned above albeit residents only.

Pricey though.

2 hours ago, hk blues said:

Keeping with the slightly off-topic posts above, would say I find Dubai has everything you could want for a holiday - plenty shopping, hotels, choice of restaurants and a great beach and not forgetting the weather. If it has a weakness it would be the lack of 'casual' bars but the couple of hotels I've stayed in have had 'real' bars as well as the Lobby style mentioned above albeit residents only.

Pricey though.

If you have the cash/time next time your over that way i highly recommend doing the seaplane from dubai to abu dhabi or vice versa especially the evening flight,its a fantastic experience

If you have the cash/time next time your over that way i highly recommend doing the seaplane from dubai to abu dhabi or vice versa especially the evening flight,its a fantastic experience

Been a fair few times to Dubai but the most recent was probably 2003 so a lot has been happening since then there. Regret that I didn't spend a little time in Abu Dhabi as I've heard good things.

Travelling down London for a gig in June and thought may as well look into starting holiday from there as more options fancying flight to puglia few days there then overnight ferry to Dubrovnik before flying back to Newcastle after a few days any advice welcome. 

Archived