Dumbarton v.s. Queens

Bit of a game this. Forget our record up there but if i remember right its pretty decent. Would take a point right now the way dumbarton have started. Gibson to score in a 2-2 thriller with lyle and beany giving the fingers to the home support at the end after bagging a goal each. Scenes all round.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Funnily, I am more worried about this than I have been the last two weeks. Will be as tough (or tougher) a game as we have had thus far to be honest. Queens started well and will be full of confidence. As above, with everything as is, I would also be happy to take a point from this.

If there's one thing that frustrates me it is over confidence. *Jordo* ;). The only game we played this year which we were expected to win... we lost.

Anyway, hopefully another solid display and a wee point to keep us unbeaten.

Bit of a game this. Forget our record up there but if i remember right its pretty decent. Would take a point right now the way dumbarton have started. Gibson to score in a 2-2 thriller with lyle and beany giving the fingers to the home support at the end after bagging a goal each. Scenes all round.

The only certainty about this game is that it will get f*** all coverage in the Scottish media, especially with Sevco and the Damp Squibs playing the next day.

All we can ask of Sons is the same level of commitment and passion shown thus far against a very decent visiting side.

The only certainty about this game is that it will get f*** all coverage in the Scottish media, especially with Sevco and the Damp Squibs playing the next day.

Three teams joint top with 100% records. Two of them meet head to head with top spot up for grabs as the other one doesnt play until Sunday. Bound to be the division's featured game of the week. I cant imagine the Sportscene cameras will be anywhere else really. Should be a big flood of press requests too I expect.

Or in practice the game will be fairly routinely ignored while the media focus on Rangers campaign to "do a Hearts" which Radio Scotland disrespectfully repeated about three or four time today during the 45 mins or so of commentary I actually heard despite the fact they have played just two league games. They may "do a Hearts" and they certainly already look better than last season but its way too early to start that nonsense. Come back with it after they have won their first 7 or 8 games, not two.

Ok now that we have seen off the diddy teams time to play a real team QOS. If we can at last get a result against them it will prove that aitkens boys are really in for a great season. If we could reach seventh last year our chances of finishing higher must be good going on the fact we have already played three championship teams and beaten all of them. Hard to see any weaknesses in the team except for the fact that the squad is small and injuries and suspensions could reek havoc.lets take each game as it comes but I am feeling more optimistic than optimistic is.

I've never witnessed us beating Queens. I'm working on Saturday so there is a chance we'll win.

I distinctly remember a game in the 70s. I was DJ in a disco at Helensburgh Rugby and Cricket Club and HCC player John Bourke was there. Knowing I was a Sons fan he left me tickets for the next day's game against QoS. We won 5-2.

Dumbarton are a steady team who I'd consider established at this level now. They signed well and appointed a promising up and coming manager. The only people who will be surprised by them will be the clueless hacks who write them off based on their part-time status.

All that being said though, we always win at The Rock.

But then we usually struggle at Almondvale and we won there yesterday.

Score draw.

I distinctly remember a game in the 70s. I was DJ in a disco at Helensburgh Rugby and Cricket Club and HCC player John Bourke was there. Knowing I was a Sons fan he left me tickets for the next day's game against QoS. We won 5-2.

Allowing for the fact it's not impossible there are flaws in my records as anything before mid-80's is taken from history books, I can't find any 5-2 result in meetings between the sides, 70's or otherwise. Closest I could find was 5th May 1979 when we lost 4-1 at Boghead. We drew 2 and lost 5 of the other 7 games in the 70's but none of them were particularly high scoring with the biggest other loss being 2-0. There was also a 4-2 win for Dumbarton at Palmerston in 1971 I think.

We do have a tremendous recent record at Dumbarton. We've visited the new stadium five times and are yet to concede a goal there. Four wins and a 0-0 draw from last season. We also won our last two visits to Boghead and drew the two before that. You have to go back to 1996 to find us losing a goal in Dumbarton and 1992 to find us losing a game (3-1 on Feb 1st). (Actually that's not quite true, we lost 4-0 to Clydebank there in 1997!).You did win at Palmerston in Sept 2013 but that, and last season's 0-0 are the only points you've got off us since 1992.

All of that will be undone when Wullie Gibson scores his inevitable goal against us though. Hopefully we can manage one or two at the other end.

But then we usually struggle at Almondvale and we won there yesterday.

Slightly exaggerated that one generally. We don't have a great record at Almondvale and until recently it was one of our worst grounds, but we have only lost one league game there since 2008 albeit they are usually draws. We've won two, drawn five and lost just one of our last eight visits and the loss was when we fielded half a reserve side in May there. We did lose after extra time in the cup last season as well of course but even that one was a 90 minute draw.

Slightly exaggerated that one generally. We don't have a great record at Almondvale and until recently it was one of our worst grounds, but we have only lost one league game there since 2008 albeit they are usually draws. We've won two, drawn five and lost just one of our last eight visits and the loss was when we fielded half a reserve side in May there. We did lose after extra time in the cup last season as well of course but even that one was a 90 minute draw.

And we won a Cup final there.

I remember us losing 0-4 I think to Dumbarton at Palmerston in an opening League fixture in the early 80s. It was the first glimpse of the 'Barralan' strip as I recall.

What the Hell did that company make/do?

And we won a Cup final there. I remember us losing 0-4 I think to Dumbarton at Palmerston in an opening League fixture in the early 80s. It was the first glimpse of the 'Barralan' strip as I recall. What the Hell did that company make/do?

Before my time. Haven't a clue what they did. Anyone know?

We wore Barralan for just the one season, 1981/82, I think. We were then unsponsored again in 1982/83 before 8 seasons in a row with Elopak and then 3 more with Galloway Frozen Foods. A year with Fiat before 2 years with the Open University and every sponsor since has just had the one season due to the shirt draw.

Allowing for the fact it's not impossible there are flaws in my records as anything before mid-80's is taken from history books, I can't find any 5-2 result in meetings between the sides, 70's or otherwise. Closest I could find was 5th May 1979 when we lost 4-1 at Boghead. We drew 2 and lost 5 of the other 7 games in the 70's but none of them were particularly high scoring with the biggest other loss being 2-0. There was also a 4-2 win for Dumbarton at Palmerston in 1971 I think.

We do have a tremendous recent record at Dumbarton. We've visited the new stadium five times and are yet to concede a goal there. Four wins and a 0-0 draw from last season. We also won our last two visits to Boghead and drew the two before that. You have to go back to 1996 to find us losing a goal in Dumbarton and 1992 to find us losing a game (3-1 on Feb 1st). (Actually that's not quite true, we lost 4-0 to Clydebank there in 1997!).You did win at Palmerston in Sept 2013 but that, and last season's 0-0 are the only points you've got off us since 1992.

All of that will be undone when Wullie Gibson scores his inevitable goal against us though. Hopefully we can manage one or two at the other end.

You're right it was 2-0 in August 1977 having checked. A few weeks later, John Bourke having left for Dundee Utd, we beat St Johnstone 5-1 and Alistair Brown got me a ticket for that. So I was getting mixed up with teams with blue shirts, who got me the tickets and the scoreline. We did beat QoS during the cricket season in the 70s though :wacko: Old age doesn't come alone......

Think I fell asleep reading Skyline Drifter's posts.

We're shite against Queens, however this new side are dynamite, so I'll be an optimist and say that previous records count for f**k all. There's no such thing as bogey teams or bad luck. Home win.

Archived