Dumbarton v.s. Queens

Different type of game for us then the others. Queens in control and very slick at passing around without ever looking like they would build a score.agree with other posts about our picking up second ball and also felt Gibson sitting very deep. Overall no different from previous games against queens. Something tells me queens will comfortably make play off first round and lose at that stage again . After a bad couple of games sons need to re think.

As for ref inconsistent as usual and his linesmen weren't strong enough to help out.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dumbarton fans complaining about the ref :lol:

Goes without saying that it was a much better performance than Tuesday night. Brownlie had a great game, as did several others. Decent performance but I think theres still better to come. Harris showed some nice touches and runs and did really well for the goal.

For a team that won its first two games, Dumbarton were incredibly disappointing. No real attempt to play football, just lumping it forward to Craig and Fleming who were well marshalled by Higgins and Brownlie.

Do you have a game on Tuesday night? If so, someone better give Dowie a ring Monday morning and ask him to let Gibson out of his pocket ;)

Dumbarton fans complaining about the ref :lol:

Goes without saying that it was a much better performance than Tuesday night. Brownlie had a great game, as did several others. Decent performance but I think theres still better to come. Harris showed some nice touches and runs and did really well for the goal.

For a team that won its first two games, Dumbarton were incredibly disappointing. No real attempt to play football, just lumping it forward to Craig and Fleming who were well marshalled by Higgins and Brownlie.

Do you have a game on Tuesday night? If so, someone better give Dowie a ring Monday morning and ask him to let Gibson out of his pocket ;)

Our complaints with Brian Colvin aren't specifically about today. Although he was his usual dreadful self, we've never won a game with him in charge...in fact we've only ever managed one draw in 15 odd games!

This goes back years, but against Dundee a few seasons ago he excelled himself. We scored at Dens...everyone could see it...apart from him. That would've levelled the game, but they went on to win 3-0 with two late goals.

Later that season we scored again against dundee, he 'didn't see it' their centre half picked the ball up and dropped kicked it to halfway, but Mr Colvin played on! We lost that game 0-1.

I could go on, but aye it's a conspiracy and he's definitely a Bankie :lol:

Great team performance today - manager made good call to include Brownlee who looks a very promising player.

No failures today and some very psitive performances - Higgy gets better and better.Marshall was outstanding as was Lyle. Mark Millar put in a terrific shift and if he could just start hitting the target with these piledrivers goals will surely flow.

Dumbarton were disappointing from their point of view especially after their terrific start to the season.

What threatened to be a tricky game ended up being rather straight forward. Never looked in much doubt.

After getting the team wrong midweek Fowler got it spot on. Dowie shut down Gibson who apart from his freekick was posted missing for most of the game and Brownlie cruised it - he looks a bit awkward in possession but I suppose he's never been on teams that controlled games before so it's a little new to him.

Russell and Lyle upfront looks really good as they appear to have a good understanding of each other. Russell makes winning a foul an art form

and he probably knows the laws of the game better than most referees. With two guys who have scored 15 plus in recent memory it's a lot better than what the other full time teams have in experience of this level. The second goal was a beauty of a cross but I suspect the keeper should be getting those.

Millar strolled it today and gives us more energy now than Kerr ever could. Shame his finishing is at present woeful.

I can see why Hibs fans were frustrated with Harris as he has zero confidence, cuts inside too often and disappears for large stretches but has moments where he shows flashes of being a good player. It fills the Danny void to an extent.

Full points after 3 games that we have previous for slipping up at (except Dumbarton Obvs) with only one goal conceded is an encouraging start, hopefully we can acquit ourselves well against the Bigots next week.

With all this talk about Dumbarton getting a new ground can we keep the Cheaper Insurance Direct Stadium seeing as we basically own the place?

This is just sheer laziness on my behalf, but when did Marshall join? I needed a replacement for Jason Naismith in my fantasy team and saw that he had a pretty high rating so thought I'd chuck him in. He was very decent today, but can't say I ever remember hearing about him before.

I have been really impressed with Millar . Has shed the bulk, got fit and this helps his undoubted ability shine through. I could tell within the first ten mins of watching this guy play last season that he was a baller . Just needed to get his attitude right and fingers crossed that this will continue.

This is just sheer laziness on my behalf, but when did Marshall join? I needed a replacement for Jason Naismith in my fantasy team and saw that he had a pretty high rating so thought I'd chuck him in. He was very decent today, but can't say I ever remember hearing about him before.

Marshall is a bit of an unknown up here after being released by Carlisle United Academy and signed by us . Geordie boy I believe

Queens were absolutely excellent all round the park today and thoroughly deserved their win. Fowler has replaced the departing cast well and at no obvious detriment to the overall squad performance.

All home talk about referees, Lyle, Russell, etc., is simply a denial of a truly poor Dumbarton performance; I can take a defeat but to fail to compete is a real disappointment.

Ach weel, Casualty's on later....

Dire from us today, barely mustering a meaningful shot on target. Far too easy for Queens.

As the game wore on Craig looked less and less interested. A striker to come in this week hopefully.

I'd like to believe that the effects of playing 120mins on Tuesday took it's toll but so many of the lads just looked off it today - with the notable exception of Routledge.

A bit of bounce back with a bolstered squad is required next Friday.

Queens were absolutely excellent all round the park today and thoroughly deserved their win. Fowler has replaced the departing cast well and at no obvious detriment to the overall squad performance.

All home talk about referees, Lyle, Russell, etc., is simply a denial of a truly poor Dumbarton performance; I can take a defeat but to fail to compete is a real disappointment.

Ach weel, Casualty's on later....

Agreed re Lyle, Russell etc. The pantomime villain act is amusing but I was far more concerned with Brown yet again flapping at a cross ball.

I genuinely thought our team looked shattered at the end of the first half and more so in the second. I reckon the effort we put in against St Mirren followed by the midweek game really took its toll.

Agreed re Lyle, Russell etc. The pantomime villain act is amusing but I was far more concerned with Brown yet again flapping at a cross ball.

He came for it one fisted without his knee out, it was very poor. He needs to focus on the ball, punch it and wipe out anyone in his path with his knee. He was nowhere near strong or dominant enough. Nothing much has has been said about it, and it merely added gloss to the scoreline as we didn't look like scoring. But it was ropey.

His distribution is pretty decent though, very pleasantly surprised by it.

Reading that again I could be talking about Grindlay :lol:

Was brian Colvin the one who failed to give gary irvine a second booking and gave a yellow to iain davidson instead? A game we lost 4-1..

Nope, that was Barry Cook. Same season though, we didn't get a single decision against Dundee that year.

That was one way traffic today. As others have said, Queens were the best team we've played this year and I know it's early days but we need to be consistent. Only Cawley and Routledge were really good today, although I liked some of the second half stuff from Docherty and the oncoming Brown.

Maybe by now we should be getting immune to Russell's antics. We all know what he does, so why get worked up about it?

The ref was a fucking disgrace, as ever. An incompetent fool at best.

We need to get shot of Craig. I'm more of a striker than he is, and I can't kick a ball to save myself.

And finally, all the very best to Andy Graham with whoever he goes to play for. An excellent servant to DFC, and a super Captain. Not many left from last season. Stevie Aitken's broom has been used extensively.

I'd have been happy with a point today so chuffed with that result. Marshall impresses me more with each game and looks to be a great signing, likewise Thomson. Brownlie has also been solid in his opening two games and Hutton looked okay when he came on.

I forgot Harris was playing in the second half until he was subbed off, but showed glimpses of being decent in the first. I liked how he seemed to be inter-changing with Conroy at times. Lyle and Russell are two of our most experienced players, especially in drawing fouls and I'll admit the ref did seem to buy a few :lol:

Dumbarton were okay but didn't seem to trouble us too much, Cawley looked their best player until he was subbed off.

Our overall game today was polished and some of the build-up play was really easy on the eye. Glad to see I was proven right about us having a more professional performance today than say, on Tuesday night :whistle

ETA: First time at the Rock and there were some lovely views!

Queens were better organised and stronger than us. Very professional display from them, although it always is against us!

Brian Colvin is a the most incompetent official in the country. Another shambolic performance from him as usual.

Queens fair like the dark arts, eh? Beanie's always loved a dive, but he was at his absolute worst today. Never seen anything like it, very lucky to escape a booking for it.

Didn't really understand Lyle's celebration. Fair enough if he was getting stick from the crowd...but I didn't hear a thing until he'd scored. In saying that I'd probably celebrate like that if I scored just for the lolz.

One day we'll beat you pests at home! One day!

11-0 now in six visits to the Strathclyde Homes / Bet Butler / Cheaper Insurance Direct Stadium! 19 years without conceding a goal in DUmbarton. :)

Lyle's celebration clearly goes back to the reaction of Dumbarton fans to last season's red card. He hasn't forgotten.

Beanie does tend to exaggerate a foul but I'd struggle to think of a free kick he got today that wasn't actually a foul. He did have one fairly obvious dive over not much over by the dugouts by the look of it but he didn't get anything for it. Not sure Colvin did an awful lot wrong either though Jacobs was maybe a wee bit fortunate to avoid a second yellow before he was hooked as a precaution.

Good performance from us today though with Dowie and Russell back. Not outstanding but professional and relatively untrouobled apart from a great early free kick from Gibson. Back four was very solid and Harris looked like he'll add something to the squad. Created the first goal with a great run to the by-line and fizzing low cross. Thought Lyle actually had quite a quiet game until he still found himself right place and right time to head the second from a great Millar cross.

Always looked a fairly kind opening schedule for us but you can't do any more than win your games. Delighted to be 9 out of 9 and going into a top of the table clash with Rangers next. Happy days.

19 years, Oaft. I was thinking that it had been a wee while pre-match. But I didn't realise we haven't scored a home goal against you lot in my lifetime!

Might as well just award Beanie 3 goals and Queens 9 points thenow and save playing the next 3 games!!

Archived