Is Sky's Super Sunday really super?

I have been meaning to do this for a while but kept forgetting. Might as well try it out at the start of a new season and see if it kicks off.

The English Premier League has been marketed brilliantly. Martin " Barclays Premier League" Tyler often tells us it's the best league in the world. So this is a typical pnb experiment . Might take off, might not. The plan is for anyone who has watched the 2 Sky Super Sunday matches to rate them, if you can be bothered.

I have a rough idea of a points system to rank a game. Open to ideas and opinions btw. Rank the following 1-10 with 10 being the best

*Entertainment value. Was it end to end? Smash and grab by 1 team? Drab 0-0? Or a 0-0 between Man U and Chelsea is known as a great tactical battle ;)

*Shock value. For example Leicester City being what 3-1 down against Man U and winning 5-3 would be 10/10. Liverpool beating Stoke away? Probably looking at 3/10. Chelsea beating Bournemouth at home 1/10. Surely the best league in the world will have a few shocks televised per season?

Quality of goals scored. With it being the best league in the world you want to see stunning goals in live matches. You also take Goalkeeping howlers into consideration.

Then take the average of the 3 and get the final score. Or if anyone has another way to do it post your ideas.

Is just a daft wee idea nothing serious, if people fancy it join in . Maybe at the end of the season I can go back throughout the thread and pick out the average score and see if Sky's Super Sunday and the EPL deserve the hype .

Theres not really a lot sky can do about Mourinho's tactics so I'm not expecting a thriller

Its a decent league to watch, don't like them calling it the best league in the world though and don't think they should be banging on like that when they cover La Liga and have lost out on the CL games.

Best can mean different things but the top top players aren't playing in the EPL

I'm always amazed at just how angry some people get at Sky talking up their product, they are absolutely right to label it 'Super Sunday' and talk about 'the best league in the world' the try build up a sense that it's an event and that its unmissable and it's worked really well for them.

I wonder if the same people are frothing at the mouth when the hear Carlsberg described as 'possibly the best beer in the world'?

Given Sky control the world, the Sunday kick off times of their games are weird. The last 15 minutes of the early game overlap with the start of the first 'Super' game yet there's a 45 gap between the end of Super game 1 and the start of game 2. They could easily all run consecutively but don't. Must make sense in the mind of some TV Exec though.

I'm always amazed at just how angry some people get at Sky talking up their product, they are absolutely right to label it 'Super Sunday' and talk about 'the best league in the world' the try build up a sense that it's an event and that its unmissable and it's worked really well for them.

I wonder if the same people are frothing at the mouth when the hear Carlsberg described as 'possibly the best beer in the world'?

The difference has to be that Carlsberg use the word possibly. Sky practically insist its the best, and anyone who thinks otherwise is going to be shot at dawn and sent directly to Hell :-D To be honest they can't truthfully claim its the best league in the world as that's a pretty subjective term, which they would fail by many measurments so they are wrong to call it such, because its basically lying.

I think its generally ok, some games are great, enjoyed Palace V Arsenal, some are dull as f**k and theres a good chance Man City V Chelsea will be one of them.

The arsenal game was alright for a neutral , Chelsea are playing pretty deep ( but have just conceded so will have to come out now)

I'm not as into it as I used to be, I think it was better 6-7 years ago , it was never the best in the world, sky are unchallenged about this because Britain is a fairly insular place and not many would know much about foreign leagues.

The best players noq play in Spain, used to be Italy in the 90s -early 00s. the premiership players have always been very good but not as good as southern Europe. The main thing the EPL had going for it was that each year there were 3 or more teams that could realisticly win it (and not the same 3 every year), fair enough by Christmas it was usually down to 2 but it didn't have 1 or 2 clubs totally dominating from start to finish like you have in germany(Bayern) or Spain (Madrid barca) or Scotland for that matter. The best thing about it was that the gulf between top and bottom wasn't as huge as it was in most countries but I don't think that is the case any more. It looks like it will mostly be between Chelsea and man city for the league with man ytd as outsiders. The days of arsenal Liverpool or anyone else winning it look to be gone for the foreseeable future .

Palace-Arse overall 7/10. Enjoyable match with 2 great goals. Would have scored it higher if Palace sneaked a draw.

City-Chelsea. 8/10. City surprisingly dominant. Aguero unlucky not to have scored a hat trick. Always nice to see Chelsea getting pumped and Jose losing the plot.

I was watching a bundesliga game and the commentator on it was calling it the best league in the world. It's just what people do for a bit of hype. I thought the English league was terrible last season, hoping it's bit better this year.

Enjoy Scottish football a lot partly down to the lack of hype and polish/sanitisation of it.

If you consider the current Sky advert... with Thierry Henry doing the "best league in the world" stuff... isn't only the Cantona lob actually an example of quality? All the other clips used are exciting last-days deciders and so forth. And for all we know the Austrian Premier might have more of those.

It's marketing.

If you consider the current Sky advert... with Thierry Henry doing the "best league in the world" stuff... isn't only the Cantona lob actually an example of quality? All the other clips used are exciting last-days deciders and so forth. And for all we know the Austrian Premier might have more of those.

It's marketing.

It would be funny af seeing Neil McCann doing the same thing about Scottish Football

Archived