The Big Renfrewshire Derby: Greenock Morton v The Spoon-Burners

• Replies 891
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can we recall Kevin Thomas & Keith Wright for this one?

I've just watched that infamous game on YouTube. Unbelievable that that saints team went on the win the league a year later.

What a player Kevin Thomas was. So sad that he ruined his career in the way that he did. Probably the best forward I've seen at Morton, he had everything.

What a player Kevin Thomas was. So sad that he ruined his career in the way that he did. Probably the best forward I've seen at Morton, he had everything.

Thomas was good, yeah, but I'd say Alex Mathie was a better forward for us. Scored on his league debut for us (against Thistle, I think) something like fifteen seconds after the kick off, and averaged something like a goal every two and a half games over the two seasons he was with us. And then we made a good profit on him when we sold him to Newcastle.

Hard to predict the crowd but considering we've been pulling between 3,000-4,000 (I don't have exact figures) for the bloody RC Cup I'd like to think the first proper derby in years could double that figure. St Mirren will never bring 3,000, I'd say half of that and around 4,500 Morton fans so I'd guess around 6,000.

Are people thinking we're gonna bring in 11,000 now? :lol:

Not in a month of Sunday's. The skunks will be lucky to bring 1500 given their recent results and the fact it's a Friday night game being shown on TV. I'd hazard a guess at around 3000 Morton fans, so 4500 would be a good attendance I reckon considering all other factors.

Do we know why there are no stand tickets available for away fans? Is that a policing decision?

Can't see many of our older fans wanting to risk it on the benches especially if its pishing down and slippy.

The all ticket thing is a farce too. Any chance there will be tickets sold at the ground on the night?

I think we sold 1000 as of yesterday morning.

Can't see an away win here, sadly.

However, fantastic to have the derbies back after so long. Fed up with the kid-on P&B derbies that exist only in the heads of the twatty WUMs on here. Hoping to get up for at least one of the games this season.

Saints fans: remember to take any old clothes through for the disadvantaged locals. May I suggest using this as a perfect chance to get rid of last season's strips?

Can't see an away win here, sadly.

However, fantastic to have the derbies back after so long. Fed up with the kid-on P&B derbies that exist only in the heads of the twatty WUMs on here. Hoping to get up for at least one of the games this season.

Saints fans: remember to take any old clothes through for the disadvantaged locals. May I suggest using this as a perfect chance to get rid of last season's strips?

It is impossible to tell. The old cliche is form goes out the window with derbies.

We have had a pretty slow start with 2 defeats in the league and 2 cup wins over lower league teams. Morton lost to Dumbarton, decent point v Falkirk and a narrow loss to Hibs and pumped Elgin, i think?

Good news for us is Thompson wasn't even on the bench last night, McMullan played the last 20 and Morgan was rested so the front 3 will be fresh. Agnew only came on for the last 5 minutes.

The first 20 will be crucial. Like most games against us I expect Morton to come out the traps flying, we can't afford to start sluggish the way we did against Rangers and it took us 60 mins to get going against Dumbarton. I really think our best chance is McMullan and Morgan hitting them on the counter and getting the balls in the box for Thommo.

I think this will be a high scoring game with both defences looking poor.

We've had an ok start to the season competing well with two teams destined for the top 4. St.Mirren have had a poor start losing to the tribute act and Dumbarton but form goes out the window for these type of games.

Going for a 3-3 draw, bring it on!

Do we know why there are no stand tickets available for away fans? Is that a policing decision?

Can't see many of our older fans wanting to risk it on the benches especially if its pishing down and slippy.

The all ticket thing is a farce too. Any chance there will be tickets sold at the ground on the night?

I think we sold 1000 as of yesterday morning.

I think the Morton fans have the whole main stand for this game. The whole middle section of the cowshed will be empty because of the camera stands so I think the home fans have been given the away section of the stand as well to compensate for that I think.

Archived