Batman

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Given the ridiculous crime rates in Gotham (and a higher rate of super villains per head of population than most cities), I'm sure the ordinary citizen has more pressing concerns than trying to figure out Batman's true identity.

Still not as bad as Hollyoaks.

Life expectancy there is about 22.

Still not as bad as Hollyoaks.Life expectancy there is about 22.

My girlfriend recently commented that 4 members of the same family had been murdered in separate incidents in the last couple of years there. Sounds like an unlucky place to live tbh.

Still not as bad as Hollyoaks.Life expectancy there is about 22.

What about emmerdale , a population of about 30 with a murder rate per head of population which must double that of Kingston, Jamaica never mind the fact that approximately every twenty years something seems to fall out the sky directly on top of a building where most of the village happened to be situated at that specific time Either that or they are being hit by some freak hurricane Storm

Why the f**k would anyone move there

Still not as bad as Hollyoaks.

Life expectancy there is about 22.

My girlfriend recently commented that 4 members of the same family had been murdered in separate incidents in the last couple of years there. Sounds like an unlucky place to live tbh.

Isn't that Logan's Run?

What about emmerdale , a population of about 30 with a murder rate per head of population which must double that of Kingston, Jamaica never mind the fact that approximately every twenty years something seems to fall out the sky directly on top of a building where most of the village happened to be situated at that specific time Either that or they are being hit by some freak hurricane Storm

It's not real m8.

You've got more chance of seeing your pension in Raqqa.

One of the bad bits.

Decent pub

Has Paisley put in a request to twin with Hollyoaks yet?

I had the news on the other day with women who had benefited from the charity in some way on talking. One of them said they helped their sprog by buying it the appropriate trainers so it could go to school without being beaten up.

Worth £3 million of anyone's money

I had the news on the other day with women who had benefited from the charity in some way on talking. One of them said they helped their sprog by buying it the appropriate trainers so it could go to school without being beaten up.

Instead the child got beaten up for his trainers.

Questions really need to be asked of the Gotham police department

Its never really been denied that its almost entirely corrupt

"I'm getting bulled because I've got shit trainers"

"Here, have £100 for some new trainers"

Got to be honest here, that doesn't seem like the best anti-bullying strategy.

Here's some more articles about the fallout of Kids Company.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/alanwhite/clients-and-workers-describe-havoc-at-kids-company

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/womens-life/11788079/Kids-Companys-Camila-Batmanghelidjh-How-we-fell-for-this-matriarch.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/11788923/Kids-Company-boss-Camila-Batmanghelidjh-turned-HQ-into-private-Aladdins-den.html

The whole story brings up for debate the whole idea of "charity" and its place in caring services. Kids Company seems to me to have been a multimillion pound business which privately sold its services to public authorities but did it badly and lost its customer ie the public purse. Why aren't the public bodies, governed by elected representatives, employing their own staff to provide whatever it was that Kids Company did? (I'm still not clear what that was.)

Alan Yentob had a bit of a moment on Channel 4 News -

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/aug/07/pressure-alan-yentob-kids-company-loses-cool-on-channel-4-news

Going on about "we passed all our audits!" kind of misses the point.

ETA another article, this time by a former volunteer - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/11792003/Kids-Companys-egalitarian-model-is-actually-autocracy-says-ex-volunteer.html

• 3 weeks later...

I read another article on Spiked which I thought had an interesting take on it - Camilla Batmanghelidjh had an analysis of problem youth that spoke to a conservative view. Feral children, abandoned by parents, running wild. She also spoke at length about the biological nature of youth crime problems, a rather Victorian concept. The remedies put forward, however, spoke to a liberal, almost new-age audience - yoga, psychotherapy, hug-a-hoodie.

Sorry for the bump but a jaw-dropping document has been released.

Kids Company wrote to government ministers saying that if the charity was closed it would be the equivelent of the death of a parent and that the charity's clients would descend into savagery, with a high risk of looting and arson attacks on government buildings.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34043725

What a view of the children the charity purported to support - helpless savages whose first instinct would be to violence. It's right out of the 19th century. Interestingly I haven't seen any rioting since they shut down.

Archived