Musselburgh Athletic 2015-2016

TheHonestLad

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

So the manager Merry-go round continues, heard the below have already applied directly to the chairman.

Calvin Shand 

George Bowmaker

Kevin Twaddle

David Lees

Who is David Lees?  Not a name I recognise

So the manager Merry-go round continues, heard the below have already applied directly to the chairman.

Calvin Shand 

George Bowmaker

Kevin Twaddle

David Lees

Only 1 out that 4 for me.  Got to be Shandy.  (That said, I don't know anything about David Lees)

Calvin Shand 

George Bowmaker

Kevin Twaddle

David Lees

Its not been announced yet but Calvin Shand has been appointed manager and Kevin Macdonald his assistant.

Kevin Macdonald will take the team on Saturday versus Broughty Athletic. Calvin has minimal experience in managing a club if any as i'm sure he took Musselburgh 2/3 years ago for a couple games but has experience coaching with the SFA and working under Linlithgow manager but maybe Musselburgh should have went with a more experience man in charge or maybe the chairman has picked the younger coaches so he can control them more rather than an auld heid.

I'm guessing the biggest problem he will face is keeping players as i was told by a friend nobody has signed and at least 90% of the players are leaving due to how the chairman has dealt with wages over last year or so. I would bet my house players like Steven Thomson will leave (Bonnyrigg), Sean Jamieson (newtongrange), Jackie Myles (newtongrange), Scott Gibson (spartans), John Dodds (Galafairydean), Liam Mckenna (retiring), Kevin Bracks (Haddington) that i'm sure is the whole spine of the team. 

I'm sure as any new manager will find it difficult building a new team but especially if players know the chairman will agree weekly wages and get you to sign blank contracts then go back on your agreement it will be very difficult to get players to sign and ultimately keep players happy. :/

Its not been announced yet but Calvin Shand has been appointed manager and Kevin Macdonald his assistant.

Kevin Macdonald will take the team on Saturday versus Broughty Athletic. Calvin has minimal experience in managing a club if any as i'm sure he took Musselburgh 2/3 years ago for a couple games but has experience coaching with the SFA and working under Linlithgow manager but maybe Musselburgh should have went with a more experience man in charge or maybe the chairman has picked the younger coaches so he can control them more rather than an Auld Heid.

I'm guessing the biggest problem he will face is keeping players as i was told by a friend nobody has signed and at least 90% of the players are leaving due to how the chairman has dealt with wages over last year or so. I would bet my house players like Steven Thomson will leave (Bonnyrigg), Sean Jamieson (newtongrange), Jackie Myles (newtongrange), Scott Gibson (spartans), John Dodds (Galafairydean), Liam Mckenna (retiring), Kevin Bracks (Haddington) that i'm sure is the whole spine of the team. 

I'm sure as any new manager will find it difficult building a new team but especially if players know the chairman will agree weekly wages and get you to sign blank contracts then go back on your agreement it will be very difficult to get players to sign and ultimately keep players happy. :/

I was never in for the post!!! :thumsup2

Kevin Macdonald will take the team on Saturday versus Broughty Athletic. Calvin has minimal experience in managing a club if any as i'm sure he took Musselburgh 2/3 years ago for a couple games but has experience coaching with the SFA and working under Linlithgow manager but maybe Musselburgh should have went with a more experience man in charge or maybe the chairman has picked the younger coaches so he can control them more rather than an auld heid.

Thommo off to Berwick I'm told....

I was told today that Phil McGuire had applied for the position. He has been helping my brother's team out recently and was interested. Good senior experience with good contacts with senior clubs for recruitment of younger loan players etc. I believe he turned down senior to stay at St Andrews Utd to help win promotion last season. He did leave them in Dec and has been helping out with several local clubs and community setups to help develop a pathway for young players.

Although Auld Heid maybe you know more and seems Mussleburgh are a club on the down with so many players leaving and a chairman who wants to control everything...

I get the feeling that Musselburgh may be "on the way down" but you have to look at it in context.  We will never have the money of some of the bigger sides in the division.  That isn't a moan, that is just reality and good luck to those teams.  You travel to places like Linlithgow, look at their support, the great club they have next to the ground and the sponsorship.  That is a dream for us.  What we have to do is keep finding players that maybe have slipped through the net or coming towards the end of thier careers.  I don't suspect playing for Musselburgh is the peak of any players career.  I'm happy to get a couple of good years out players and let them move on to greater things.  There is always a club out there bigger than your own.  If you look at the players listed in the previous post and their possible destinations, with the exception of Haddington they are all arguably bigger than us.  Thats life

I can't comment on the ins and out of our financial situation and the chairman.  I don't know enough about it to comment.  But I recall the season after our first recent cup final.  We lost everyone, had tons of trialists and almost went tdown.  The end of this season has been tough but nowhere near that.  We have to stay positive and think of that.

If it is Calvin Shand then I think that is positive.  Knows the club, knows the division and has good experience of coaching at Hibs.  Sure he has a job on but as we've done before, we have to build again and be competative.  Hopefully we can

Knows the club, knows the division and has good experience of coaching at Hibs. 

Yeah, Hibs under 16's :lol: , managing players his age (31/32) and players at 19/20 that are only interested in enjoying themselves as they are very unlikely or bothered about going senior, at a club like Hibs or Linlithgow you want to either win a contract or win league, its not going to happen at Musselburgh. 

Well in lieu of the fact he is unlikely to be offered either the Hibs or the Linlithgow job any time soon, do you not think he is to be encouraged he uses what he has learned (however much credence you seem to be willing to give it) and give management a go?  Or do you write him and Musselburgh off without a ball kicked?  Who do you think should get it?  

Well in lieu of the fact he is unlikely to be offered either the Hibs or the Linlithgow job any time soon, do you not think he is to be encouraged he uses what he has learned (however much credence you seem to be willing to give it) and give management a go?  Or do you write him and Musselburgh off without a ball kicked?  Who do you think should get it?  

I've have no doubt Musselburgh will be ok, but last year was probably the only chance to ever win the league especially at christmas time but that is down to the chairman and not the players (i suspect) I think Johnny Harvey at Haddington should have got the job and has done alot of good down the road, and has a few years experience at juniors level where Calvin has none in management.

I've heard he's already got players in mind, Matthew King, Brian Murray, Paul Tansay. 

I've have no doubt Musselburgh will be ok, but last year was probably the only chance to ever win the league especially at christmas time but that is down to the chairman and not the players (i suspect) I think Johnny Harvey at Haddington should have got the job and has done alot of good down the road, and has a few years experience at juniors level where Calvin has none in management.

I've heard he's already got players in mind, Matthew King, Brian Murray, Paul Tansay. 

Calvin Shand will be a superb appointment and follows the club philosophy of having managers who play attacking football. 

We have been blessed over the last 20 years with all out attacking managers and with Calvin this will continue for sure

He has more experience of managing in the top league than Johnny Harvey (Who by all accounts would also have fit the Musselburgh bill) 

Though I have no idea who he may bring in - players with a Scottish Junior Cup final appearance and countless cup medals would be welcome - despite your views on them.

All the best to him and hope he continues the years of great football that the supporters have enjoyed. 

I get the feeling that Musselburgh may be "on the way down" but you have to look at it in context.  We will never have the money of some of the bigger sides in the division.  That isn't a moan, that is just reality and good luck to those teams.  You travel to places like Linlithgow, look at their support, the great club they have next to the ground and the sponsorship.  That is a dream for us.  What we have to do is keep finding players that maybe have slipped through the net or coming towards the end of thier careers.  I don't suspect playing for Musselburgh is the peak of any players career.  I'm happy to get a couple of good years out players and let them move on to greater things.  There is always a club out there bigger than your own.  If you look at the players listed in the previous post and their possible destinations, with the exception of Haddington they are all arguably bigger than us.  Thats life

I can't comment on the ins and out of our financial situation and the chairman.  I don't know enough about it to comment.  But I recall the season after our first recent cup final.  We lost everyone, had tons of trialists and almost went tdown.  The end of this season has been tough but nowhere near that.  We have to stay positive and think of that.

If it is Calvin Shand then I think that is positive.  Knows the club, knows the division and has good experience of coaching at Hibs.  Sure he has a job on but as we've done before, we have to build again and be competative.  Hopefully we can

No, Nitten are a wee team.

that is all

Archived