Africa's most famous lion slaughtered by utter scumbag tourist

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1320Lichtie's post isn't mental at all. Slaughtering an animal has the same end result regardless if it's hunting or killing for food. We don't need to breed as many cows etc. as we do to feed ourselves but we do. It could be argued that every animal killed for food over and above the number we need to kill strictly for us to survive is just as bad as killing an animal during a hunt.

It deosn't mean I'm going to go out and shoot a dog, but I'm not exactly going to go as ridiculously over the top about this as the rest of the internet seems to have done.

The difference is that there's hardly any lions left. I can't get too outraged by fox hunting, there's loads of them and at least they get to spend their lives in the wild, occasionally raiding farms and killing chickens. Chickens and pigs on the other hand spend their whole short lives caged up in most cases. As I'm happy to munch on their corpses I'm not going to have a go at someone killing non endangered wild animals for whatever reason.

1320Lichtie's post isn't mental at all. Slaughtering an animal has the same end result regardless if it's hunting or killing for food. We don't need to breed as many cows etc. as we do to feed ourselves but we do. It could be argued that every animal killed for food over and above the number we need to kill strictly for us to survive is just as bad as killing an animal during a hunt.

It deosn't mean I'm going to go out and shoot a dog, but I'm not exactly going to go as ridiculously over the top about this as the rest of the internet seems to have done.

Key word missing from your argument, "endangered". The difference between killing for food and killing for fun has already been covered. But if we are being blunt, like it or not, chickens are food. We eat them, we breed them for eating. Yes, there is an argument about the horrible way we treat them, but that is a different argument!

There do exist farms that breed lions for hunting. So the idea is that much like chickens, lions are bred so they can be killed. In that case, if it wasnt for the fact that the lion was to be hunted, it wouldnt be there. But shooting an endangered wild animal, of which there are diminishing numbers of? Thats a bit different from killing a chicken to make a salad.

The real issue here should be about these backwards countries legally allowing people to come and shoot their animals for a laugh.

At £35k a pop, I can see why they are laughing.

Key word missing from your argument, "endangered". The difference between killing for food and killing for fun has already been covered. But if we are being blunt, like it or not, chickens are food. We eat them, we breed them for eating. Yes, there is an argument about the horrible way we treat them, but that is a different argument!

There do exist farms that breed lions for hunting. So the idea is that much like chickens, lions are bred so they can be killed. In that case, if it wasnt for the fact that the lion was to be hunted, it wouldnt be there. But shooting an endangered wild animal, of which there are diminishing numbers of? Thats a bit different from killing a chicken to make a salad.

The difference is that there's hardly any lions left. I can't get too outraged by fox hunting, there's loads of them and at least they get to spend their lives in the wild, occasionally raiding farms and killing chickens. Chickens and pigs on the other hand spend their whole short lives caged up in most cases. As I'm happy to munch on their corpses I'm not going to have a go at someone killing non endangered wild animals for whatever reason.

There's no moral difference between killing an endangered animal and a non-endangered one, in my opinion. Species come and go all the time and just because humans have become sentimentally attached to one species for whatever reason, doesn't make killing one of those any worse than killing a less "cuddly" or "rare" animal.

There's no moral difference between killing an endangered animal and a non-endangered one, in my opinion. Species come and go all the time and just because humans have become sentimentally attached to one species for whatever reason, doesn't make killing one of those any worse than killing a less "cuddly" or "rare" animal.

Listen, I have a lot of sympathy for you (when in Scotland, I only eat meat once a week, as I don't agree with the mass consumption of meat and animal slaughter), but ethically, there is a very real difference between killing for food and killing for fun. Again, to use the example of lion farms:

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2013/jun/03/canned-hunting-lions-bred-slaughter

I don't agree with hunting an animal full stop, and lion farms then raise the same ethical questions as pig and chicken farming, but that is not the discussion we are having here. There is a difference between killing a farmed chicken for food, and killing an endangered lion for fun. There is a moral case about killing animal full stop, but this is not the discussion going on.

Listen, I have a lot of sympathy for you (when in Scotland, I only eat meat once a week, as I don't agree with the mass consumption of meat and animal slaughter), but ethically, there is a very real difference between killing for food and killing for fun. Again, to use the example of lion farms:

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2013/jun/03/canned-hunting-lions-bred-slaughter

I don't agree with hunting an animal full stop, and lion farms then raise the same ethical questions as pig and chicken farming, but that is not the discussion we are having here. There is a difference between killing a farmed chicken for food, and killing an endangered lion for fun. There is a moral case about killing animal full stop, but this is not the discussion going on.

As I said though, if we are killing for food that we don't need to survive, is that also not killing for "fun"?

We don't eat meat because we need to, we do it because it tastes good, because it's fun to eat. We could feed a lot more people adequately and free up land for wild animals to roam if we stopped eating meat. I don't see any moral difference between killing animals to eat and killing them for fun, if anything it's worse to feed on slaughtered caged up farm animals.

Archived