Morton v Dumbarton - 25/7/15

IainMorton

We never, ever win in the challenge cup.

Morton have Jim Duffy in charge.

No idea how this'll end up, and very little idea how we'll line up.

Maybe something like this:

Brown

Taggart Barr Buchanan Waters

Cawley Gallagher Routledge Gibson

Kirkpatrick

Fleming

Subs: Ewings (GK), Docherty, #666, McCallum, Craig*, Smith, Graham (Can't remember if it's 6 or 7 subs you're allowed!)

*Hopefully we can get Craig signed up, as all that's really missing from our squad is someone to stick the ball in the net.

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We've been here before. Morton full of doom and gloom, Sons feeling optimistic and we end up getting horsed 2 or 3 zip.

We've a brand new team which does look good on paper but it could take a few more games for us to get going. We have a terrible record in this cup, if not the worst and I've only ever seen us win once at Cappielow. I'm going to the game and I'm hopeful but it's far from the foregone conclusion some Ton fans think it is.

Bad as we are we should still have Forbes, Tidser and MacDonald available. Add in Barr and we'll not be getting humped here. Narrow Morton win. I'll say 2-1.

Pepper on the bench?

You seem surprised by that??

Duffy had him on the bench loads last season and he is in love with Joe McKee.

Id personally have Pepper over McKee but I doubt Duffy would.

We've been here before. Morton full of doom and gloom, Sons feeling optimistic and we end up getting horsed 2 or 3 zip.

We've a brand new team which does look good on paper but it could take a few more games for us to get going. We have a terrible record in this cup, if not the worst and I've only ever seen us win once at Cappielow. I'm going to the game and I'm hopeful but it's far from the foregone conclusion some Ton fans think it is.

This is exactly my feelings when reading down this thread! Has the making of a humping for us. Morton fans all doom and gloom and some of our fans a little bit optimistic. I'll reserve judgement on how good our team is for another couple of weeks.

Yes, on paper we look decent but having some good/promising individual players and making them play as a good side are completely different things. Morton have an edge in that they have a team who have played together for a good while, we are definitely still a team who are gelling together.

This is exactly my feelings when reading down this thread! Has the making of a humping for us. Morton fans all doom and gloom and some of our fans a little bit optimistic. I'll reserve judgement on how good our team is for another couple of weeks.

Yes, on paper we look decent but having some good/promising individual players and making them play as a good side are completely different things. Morton have an edge in that they have a team who have played together for a good while, we are definitely still a team who are gelling together.

Let's face it... this is one of those rare fixtures that will be a shock result regardless of who wins it ( The embryonic Greenock Galacticos Vs the 'second round virgins' from the rock) My money will be on the virgins for this one.

Remember the last time everyone thought a Dumbarton win in this fixture was free money?At least Jordo didn't start the thread for this one.

Said the exact same thing to a Morton doom merchant in work today.

This really could go either way. We have a completely new squad who have only played a handful of games together. I'm hopeful about our chances but I'm certainly not confident we'll scoosh it.

Nah toys are just flying out of blue and white prams lately because Duffy has continued to disappoint with lack of squad improvement. I still don't think either team stands out as a clear favourite.

If we do get humped we'll know for sure where we stand though.

Just to give Morton fans a bit more hope, here's a wee piece on our record in this round of this cup from our website:

"It's round one of the Petrofac Training Cup - a competition that's never been kind to Dumbarton. Whilst the competition is now in its 25th year, Dumbarton's record is not good. In 24 first round matches, we have lost 21 times. Our last win was in 2011 when we defeated East Stirlingshire 3-2 with last minute Pat Walker winner."

Atrocious :lol:

Anyway, Mark Docherty appears to be the only one out for us and new signing Jamie Lindsay looking like he'll go straight in the team after arriving from Celtic. No mention of Steven Craig's availability which probably means we're still waiting to hear about clearance for him.

Brown

Taggart -- Barr -- Buchanan -- Waters

Gallagher -- Lindsay

Cawley --- Routledge --- Gibson

Fleming

I think that's our probable line up with the only question marks being over our centre midfield. You could have Kirkpatrick or Miller in there instead of Lindsay but the way Stee was talking about Lindsay I expect he'll come straight into the team. Absolutely buzzing for the game if I'm honest.

Michael Miller is suspended for us and will miss this game.

We'll probably line up like this:

Gaston

Kilday, Lamie, O'Ware, Russell

Barr, Forbes, McKee, Tidser, McCluskey

Peaso

Very weak defence with absolutely no protection from midfield. We do have some very good Championship players but we've also got a few that are unproven at this level or were duds at other clubs.

Will be much closer than most Morton fans are predicting and I think it'll go to extra time.

Archived