The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

An old one but always springs to mind when thinking about awful articles. Chick Young slating Thistle's decision to sack his mate Gerry Collins as manager.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/p/partick_thistle/3299025.stm

You wouldn't think our record when he got sacked was

P14 W0 D2 L12

he Monday morning after the day on which Partick Thistle sacked Gerry Collins, a multi-storey car park in the heart of Glasgow, a down-and-out sits in the corner begging for coins from passers-by. As the now also unemployed football manager walks past, he drops a fiver into the man's cap.

But in a flash the bloke gets up, chases after Collins and forces it back into his hand. "Here, Gerry, you're going to need it more than me.

This definitely happened.

It was a fair while ago, but one of my favourite ever ones was when Jane Lewis was doing a round up of the weekend's goals on the news and described a 16 yard bullet header from Stuart Elliott as a 'glancing header'.

Another fine mess from Michael Gannon.

He even manages to get a mention of Rangers into a discussion piece about this season's European football.

He'd have a point in mentioning them if it was criticising their form before going bye bye. 1 win in 25?

Wonder if the Record pays a bonus to every journo who can squeeze Rangers into articles that are completely irrelevant to them.

he Monday morning after the day on which Partick Thistle sacked Gerry Collins, a multi-storey car park in the heart of Glasgow, a down-and-out sits in the corner begging for coins from passers-by. As the now also unemployed football manager walks past, he drops a fiver into the man's cap.

But in a flash the bloke gets up, chases after Collins and forces it back into his hand. "Here, Gerry, you're going to need it more than me.

This definitely happened.

That's my favourite ever made up anecdote.

:lol:

I don't listen to the radio so I'd always assumed some of the hatred directed towards Chick had to be hyperbole but that article is just sheer lunacy.

It seems that Chick Dung still hates Thistle even now for sacking Gerry Collins. He tipped us for relegation at the start of the last two seasons. Even when we were very close to safety last season, he refused to acknowledge that we could stayup. When we were well ahead in the First Division promotion race, Sportsound's supposed Buddies fan was talking up Morton. The sooner he goes, the better.

Another fine mess from Michael Gannon.

He even manages to get a mention of Rangers into a discussion piece about this season's European football.

"So weve had four games in Europe already and not won a single one."

Apart from St Johnstone 2 Alashkert 1- the game that your article is about, Mike.

An old one but always springs to mind when thinking about awful articles. Chick Young slating Thistle's decision to sack his mate Gerry Collins as manager.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/p/partick_thistle/3299025.stm

You wouldn't think our record when he got sacked was

P14 W0 D2 L12

That article remains to this day the most perfect example of partisan Scottish journalism.

From the made-up anecdote filled with hyperbole, designed to make you sympathetic with the protagonist ("crisp", "big man"); to the straight-faced request for Thistle to spend outwith their means (a couple of paragraphs before mentioning how the BoD had saved the club, no less); to the fact that Collins' managerial record that season only merits 21 words in the whole piece, none of which mention his results specifically; right up until the now infamous 'nest of vipers' line. Perfection.

I hear Chick going on about how Euro 2016 will be his swansong in 'journalism' and that he hopes to be there covering Scotland in France. There's a bit of me that hopes we don't qualify just so his final dream won't come true.

That article remains to this day the most perfect example of partisan Scottish journalism.

From the made-up anecdote filled with hyperbole, designed to make you sympathetic with the protagonist ("crisp", "big man"); to the straight-faced request for Thistle to spend outwith their means (a couple of paragraphs before mentioning how the BoD had saved the club, no less); to the fact that Collins' managerial record that season only merits 21 words in the whole piece, none of which mention his results specifically; right up until the now infamous 'nest of vipers' line. Perfection.

I hear Chick going on about how Euro 2016 will be his swansong in 'journalism' and that he hopes to be there covering Scotland in France. There's a bit of me that hopes we don't qualify just so his final dream won't come true.

I hope we do qualify but the bold Chick has a heart attack on the way to the plane.

He set up a PR company called Level5, who worked with Dave King in his takeover bid for Rangers. I'm sure the subsequent fluffing that King received in tabloids was just a coincidence.

The seat in the Ibrox Directors box must have been part payment.