The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

8 minutes ago, Desp said:

People who England to win are absolute mile-oots.

It's a football rivalry.  It's not sinister.

I work with, and have worked with, plenty of English people. I've yet to shoot anyone die to football. 

People are way to keen to label people who wo t toe the line as racist. 

Any of the 'ABE is SO small minded, parochial and xenophobic' lot lost any semblance of their self-proclaimed high ground after England's reaction to Germany going out. It was all of that x 1000 and genuinely embarrassing.

Brian (Why are you soo good?) Laudrup in another "there's only 2 teams in Scotland" piece of pish

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/44658999

Umm, Bry, my pal, yer pals havnae even finished second yet and got fucked by Hibs (HIBS!!) in a cup final, but you and the BBC cnts can only see 2 teams.

F U C K O F F with this weegie pish

8 hours ago, HaikuHibee said:

If anything's worse than England's media coverage of the world cup, it's snivelling, joyless Scottish journos trying to convince everyone to support England.

If you are Scottish, and you're supporting England, go watch the rugby.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2018/06/25/taken-50-years-scot-finally-learned-love-english-football-team/

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/16311851.neil-cameron-the-anyone-but-england-mob-are-pathetic-but-our-neighbours-wont-win-the-world-cup/

I wonder if we'll see similar pieces deriding the reaction in the English press to Germany going out.

7 hours ago, Peppino Impastato said:

I wonder if we'll see similar pieces deriding the reaction in the English press to Germany going out.

I wonder if we'll see similar pieces about Celtic/Rangers fans being pathetic when they celebrate seeing the other cheek lose. 

10 hours ago, Peppino Impastato said:

Speak to any German and very few consider England any great rivalry. Brazil, Italy, even the Netherlands, they all count as a rivalry while the English to the Germans are a side show. In England though, they are still so rooted to the past they will print pictures of players in WW2 helmets.

The coverage of the WC has been shameful up until now, everything has to have an English slant, and I mean fucking everything. That combined with the utterly partisan Hoddle, Butcher and co and it's like one giant contrived circle jerk. It's as if the BBC forget the first B is for British, and as for STV they are a Scottish franchise and have no excuse but are happy to broadcast the pitiful content pushed up from London.

I am a nationalist, but I am fairly reasonable about it, accepting that a lot we find annoying is not from intent, but it's also true the English can spend hours flipping between self flagellation and auto fellatio to the point it becomes utterly tedious.

Edited by Buddist Monk

24 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

Speak to any German and very few consider England any great rivalry. Brazil, Italy, even the Netherlands, they all count as a rivalry while the English to the Germans are a side show. In England though, they are still so rooted to the past they will print pictures of players in WW2 helmets.

The coverage of the WC has been shameful up until now, everything has to have an English slant, and I mean fucking everything. That combined with the utterly partisan Hoddle, Butcher and co and it's like one giant contrived circle jerk. It's as if the BBC forget the first B is for British, and as for STV they are a Scottish franchise and have no excuse but are happy to broadcast the pitiful content pushed up from London.

I am a nationalist, but I am fairly reasonable about it, accepting that a lot we find annoying is not from intent, but it's also true the English can spend hours flipping between self flagellation and auto fellatio to the point it becomes utterly tedious.

Yeah Germany view England how England view us.  And tbf their respective records indicate they're right to do so.

35 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

Have you listened to Scottish commentators and pundits reporting on Scottish games?  I would suggest every country has the same sort of idiots on their TVs and radios. 

The problem they had was whether to employ Scottish, Welsh and N Irish commentators to cover the same games or to just piss of the viewers from these countries.  They have gone for the cheaper option. 

37 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

What to do is not watch any of the talking between games. We know it's going to be shit. I haven't heard Ian Wright's opinion once  and i don't feel lile i've missed out.

Doesn't help the in game commentary though. 

16 minutes ago, Jake said:

Have you listened to Scottish commentators and pundits reporting on Scottish games?  I would suggest every country has the same sort of idiots on their TVs and radios. 

The problem they had was whether to employ Scottish, Welsh and N Irish commentators to cover the same games or to just piss of the viewers from these countries.  They have gone for the cheaper option. 

Scottish annoyance is reactionary though not proactive, where English contrivance is entirely that; premeditated contrivance. It's made worse by the fact that this is not England yet the broadcasters (even the Scottish ones) seem unable to recognise that.

I understand when commentators say "we" but that's bad commentating, instead it's just the same as some lad in the stands giving it laldy.

What's more the key idiots, like Butcher and Hoddle (the latter shouldn't even be on mainstream media due to his fucked up worldview) are so dismissive and they are so ignorant over the most basic of things. While you will find bias in the way Scots report either England or Scotland, it's laced with traditional self deprecation and a considerable reduction in general ignorance.

Edited by Buddist Monk

16 minutes ago, coprolite said:

What to do is not watch any of the talking between games. We know it's going to be shit. I haven't heard Ian Wright's opinion once  and i don't feel lile i've missed out.

Doesn't help the in game commentary though. 

I tend to try and synch the radio and TV, for one simple reason. Radio commentators need to take time to describe what's happening rather than just making blank observations. This reduces the amount of time for something stupid to be said. Doesn't stop it but does reduce it, imo.

Just now, 7-2 said:

It's completely pointless idiots like Neville, Jenas, Murphy and Keown that get me. Keown can on (the rare) occasion be magnanimous, but the rest (and despite them clearly having a lot of experience in the game) are there to offer empty platitudes that offer nothing.

Just remember that we pay our licence fee so these c***s can be paid a kings ransom (and likely more than most earn in a year) to parrot out tired old stereotypes while adding little of value.

1 minute ago, Buddist Monk said:

Just remember that we pay our licence fee so these c***s can be paid a kings ransom (and likely more than most earn in a year) to parrot out tired old stereotypes while adding little of value.

http://archive.is/BiTC3

“It’s a sad reflection of the BBC’s approach to its investment in Scottish football that Gary Lineker’s salary is DOUBLE the amount the BBC pays for TV highlights of over 250 SPFL games each year."

The coverage's shite. I just don't pay the license, complete waste of cash.

7 minutes ago, HaikuHibee said:

I'm sure the irony is not lost on all of us as the SFA/SPFL (in their relevant guises) have sold our game short for over a decade.

7 minutes ago, HaikuHibee said:

The coverage's shite. I just don't pay the license, complete waste of cash.

Thing is, if you wanted me to pay the licence for the radio, I would. I could live without the TV section of the BBC. It has it's odd gems but in general it's 95% utter mince. The problem being the government think that anything that _can_ receive BBC TV (so essentially everything connected online) must be covered by a licence. A really fucking shit way to do things and in the end will only harm the BBC.

Edited by Buddist Monk

16 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

What's more the key idiots, like Butcher and Hoddle (the latter shouldn't even be on mainstream media due to his fucked up worldview) are so dismissive and they are so ignorant over the most basic of things. While you will find bias in the way Scots report either England or Scotland, it's laced with traditional self deprecation and a considerable reduction in general ignorance.

As a Hibs fan, Butcher's presence is funny*, if I am honest.

*As a St Mirren fan, Terry Butcher in Moscow giving everyone his take on the Columbian team would be like watching the BBC paying to send Klaus Deitrich to Kazan to give us updates on Germany - South Korea.

It's not because Butcher is English that's the problem, it was a problem when Burley appointed him assistant manager and he spent the time complaining about Maradona rather than his actual fucking job but it's not a problem with him commenting on England. No, the problem with Butcher is his bolshy and petulant world view, laced with incredible ignorance.

Just now, Buddist Monk said:

It's not because Butcher is English that's the problem, it was a problem when Burley appointed him assistant manager and he spent the time complaining about Maradona rather than his actual fucking job but it's not a problem with him commenting on England. No, the problem with Butcher is his bolshy and petulant world view, laced with incredible ignorance.

He was shite at Hibs, can't take him seriously. He's also quite weird.

I would like to publicly apologies to Buddist Monk for my ill-advised comments about Scottish commentators.  I didn't realise  his anger towards the BBC in general, and English football pundits in particular, was so acute or had affected him so badly.

I'm enjoying his rants though.