The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

1 hour ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I understood your post to mean you felt Scottish football was more deserving. Mine was pointing out there are even more deserving causes.

Deserving is always a dangerous word to use, but yes, Scottish clubs need the money more than English ones in general.

Scottish table tennis needs the money more than Scottish football.

I need the money more than Scottish table tennis.

Someone using a food bank needs the money more than me.

Given the discussion was about reallocating money already being spent on football, on a football forum, I’m not sure bringing anything else in to it was overly relevant.

19 hours ago, stu2910 said:

Deserving is always a dangerous word to use, but yes, Scottish clubs need the money more than English ones in general.

Scottish table tennis needs the money more than Scottish football.

I need the money more than Scottish table tennis.

Someone using a food bank needs the money more than me.

Given the discussion was about reallocating money already being spent on football, on a football forum, I’m not sure bringing anything else in to it was overly relevant.

Need is as contentious as deserving. It's also not reallocation of a central fund, it's individuals exercising choice on how they spend their own money. If someone from Glasgow decides to shell out on an Arsenal season ticket instead of spending it on Clyde my opinion on it doesn't matter.

Personally, I wouldn't, it's vastly overpriced and inconvenient, so I won't. I'd still go if I was in London or watch on the telly if it's on.

On 22/04/2024 at 12:47, Desp said:

For the Premier League shirts on kids, that's been the case for 30 years or more.  I'm 37 so was just a kid when the EPL kicked off in '92.  My parents got me loads of shirts when I was a boy.  Man Utd, Arsenal, Liverpool, Newcastle.  Even a belting Man City away kit in the Kinkladze days.  I actually think you see more Scottish tops on youngsters these days (you'll always have lads having the EPL tops, plus Inter Miami etc due to Messi) but you also see a lot more tops of the "diddy" sides around.  Being in Lanarkshire, I see a lot more kids wearing Motherwell tops, which is great, but I've even seen youngsters wearing Hamilton & Airdrie tops, which you would hardly ever see 20/25 years ago.

I take my wee man to a football class and Falkirk and Scotland tops comfortably outnumber OF, EPL and big Euro clubs most weeks. The kids are alright 😎

A couple of articles for the collection this morning.

Spoiler

Kai Havertz is making fools of those – well me, actually – who labelled him an “Arteta vanity project” when he struggled to identify his place in the team earlier in the season.

Phil McNulty

More bad than good on the BBC sport page. Where's the analysis, the research and hard work to build a logical conclusion? It's just words on a page around a general theme. What's the point in an opinion piece if it's not backed up with reasoning? and what's the point of the article if the reasoning doesn't have some originality?

As soon as I hear phrases such as "vanity project" or "crisis" I know the article won't be for me. 

Edited by 2426255

Need is as contentious as deserving. It's also not reallocation of a central fund, it's individuals exercising choice on how they spend their own money. If someone from Glasgow decides to shell out on an Arsenal season ticket instead of spending it on Clyde my opinion on it doesn't matter.

Personally, I wouldn't, it's vastly overpriced and inconvenient, so I won't. I'd still go if I was in London or watch on the telly if it's on.

So we should just not try to grow the league because people can spend their money how they like?  Do you work for the SFA?

Surely the whole point of advertising is encouraging people to spend their money differently.

26 minutes ago, The Golden God said:

Not sure this counts as journalism but it certainly counts as terrible. He was a game away from being sacked ffs. 

Plus he won a 2 horse race when the other horse was being managed by Neil Lennon ffs.

On 23/04/2024 at 12:30, stu2910 said:

It’s not taking a moral high ground. It’s questioning how we can encourage others to consider why they put so much time and money into a sport in a different country when they could have much more impact with that input on their own doorstep.

9 minutes ago, stu2910 said:

So we should just not try to grow the league because people can spend their money how they like?  Do you work for the SFA?

Surely the whole point of advertising is encouraging people to spend their money differently.

I think that's different from what you said before. The governing bodies should promote the game, but you originally questioned spending choices.

1 hour ago, The Golden God said:

Not sure this counts as journalism but it certainly counts as terrible. He was a game away from being sacked ffs. 

You can tell John boy here doesn't have a working knowledge of Scottish Football.

Shame as it would have been interesting to see the fan & media circus and collapse. Think of all the terrible journalism we've missed.

I think that's different from what you said before. The governing bodies should promote the game, but you originally questioned spending choices.

Spending choices will be influenced by promotion, but I only mentioned promotion in the sense that we would all try to “sell” our clubs to people that don’t go to games.

I think we should maybe leave this one here before we derail this thread which is about journalism apparently.

5 hours ago, The Golden God said:

5 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Plus he won a 2 horse race when the other horse was being managed by Neil Lennon ffs.

4 hours ago, 2426255 said:

You can tell John boy here doesn't have a working knowledge of Scottish Football.

Shame as it would have been interesting to see the fan & media circus and collapse. Think of all the terrible journalism we've missed.

3 hours ago, craigkillie said:

My favourite from him was when he claimed he could have coached Scotland out of our Euro 2020 group.

I Don't know much of this guy but when I see him posting, it's always wildly shite takes on Rangers. Seems a helmet.

6 hours ago, 2426255 said:

A couple of articles for the collection this morning.

Hide contents

Kai Havertz is making fools of those – well me, actually – who labelled him an “Arteta vanity project” when he struggled to identify his place in the team earlier in the season.

Phil McNulty

More bad than good on the BBC sport page. Where's the analysis, the research and hard work to build a logical conclusion? It's just words on a page around a general theme. What's the point in an opinion piece if it's not backed up with reasoning? and what's the point of the article if the reasoning doesn't have some originality?

As soon as I hear phrases such as "vanity project" or "crisis" I know the article won't be for me. 

McNulty is the English English. And like Tom, he writes almost entirely in riddles.

6 hours ago, The Golden God said:

That account is a bad takes factory, muted a while ago as just kept appearing. 

16 hours ago, Darren said:

McNulty is the English English. And like Tom, he writes almost entirely in riddles.

image.thumb.png.5d825f337fe989e571b3a3471413ad67.png

Guess he was wrong about this as well then. 2 for 2, some guy. What's the value in an opinion if it doesn't stand the test of time and if you change it every five minutes.

Edited by 2426255