The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

I might be wrong, but I don't think the Premiership Forum has a thread for this? If we do, I'll happily close the thread. I know the Championship has one that thrives only too well due to some shocking journalism.

The inspiration behind this thread came from BBC Sport's online report of Celtic's game against Stjarnan yesterday by Chris McLaughlin. Former Motherwell keeper, Gunnar Nielsen was playing for Celtic's opposition and here are McLaughlin's attempts at spelling his name, throughout the report:

Neilsen

Nielson (Twice)

Neilson

And then finally, in the listing of the line-ups he got it spot on with Nielsen.

Surely at the top level, that's unacceptable? The fact that he kept changing the spelling throughout has to be some sort of in-joke?

Here's a link to the article: Link.

Anyways, feel free to chip in with your own examples as and when you find them!

Edited by Ludo*1

Geography isn't Chris Jack's (writes for the Herald and Evening Times) strongest point.

He was convinced that our friendly with Eastleigh on Tuesday was being played in London, despite it being hosted on the outskirts of Southampton at Eastleigh's home ground, in err, Eastleigh.

The sport hacks, tv pundits and radio presenters/reporters calling the Premiership the 'SPFL' is a regular occurrence.

Absolute riddys.

Mr Heliums, on 16 Jul 2015 - 09:06, said:

To be fair, it's the sub-editor's job to check spelling and accuracy. Most papers are cutting those jobs, or sometimes centralising them in England - hence lack of local knowledge.

Do they not have Google in England? It's a two second job, no excuse for having 4 different spellings of the one name!

I might be wrong, but I don't think the Premiership Forum has a thread for this? If we do, I'll happily close the thread. I know the Championship has one that thrives only too well due to some shocking journalism.

The inspiration behind this thread came from BBC Sport's online report of Celtic's game against Stjarnan yesterday by Chris McLaughlin. Former Motherwell keeper, Gunnar Nielsen was playing for Celtic's opposition and here are McLaughlin's attempts at spelling his name, throughout the report:

Neilsen

Nielson (Twice)

Neilson

And then finally, in the listing of the line-ups he got it spot on with Nielsen.

Surely at the top level, that's unacceptable? The fact that he kept changing the spelling throughout has to be some sort of in-joke?

Here's a link to the article: Link.

Anyways, feel free to chip in with your own examples as and when you find them!

The line-ups at the bottom are automated and come from Opta, so the big baldy dumpling can't take any credit for that.

Do they not have Google in England? It's a two second job, no excuse for having 4 different spellings of the one name!

Maybe the subbie thought they were 4 different players? (Albeit all goalkeepers.)

It was very similar watching Celtic TV last night with the commentary. Saying the Stjarnan players were going to be in awe of the surroundings, atmosphere and pressure of the Champions League. They had just beaten Lech Poznan the year before and progressed to play Inter Milan. Worst thing is, they referenced the Milan games at other points of the game.

It was very similar watching Celtic TV last night with the commentary. Saying the Stjarnan players were going to be in awe of the surroundings, atmosphere and pressure of the Champions League. They had just beaten Lech Poznan the year before and progressed to play Inter Milan. Worst thing is, they referenced the Milan games at other points of the game.

The Celtic tv commentators are laughably bad. They're like a comfort blanket for the seethers among the Celtic support.

Geography isn't Chris Jack's (writes for the Herald and Evening Times) strongest point.

He was convinced that our friendly with Eastleigh on Tuesday was being played in London, despite it being hosted on the outskirts of Southampton at Eastleigh's home ground, in err, Eastleigh.

His twitter page the day 'the good guys ' won the egm at Ibrox looked like it was written by one of the mentalists from the BRALT.

Kind of off topic but Charlie Adam was shouting at another player during a game and the commentator said something like "Charlie Adam there shouting in broad Glaswegian, clear as day". Erm, nah.

The bit by Keith Jacksie in the record a few weeks ago about European football and the co-efficient was a joke. One of the worst researched pieces of journalism ever. It is beautifully and systematically destroyed in the latest AFC fanzine.

A simple visit to Bert's European football page would've been enough research but Keef just chose to go on with ignorant bluster as if he knew best.