The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

5 hours ago, Dr Koop said:

BBC Scotland's football gossip column is still a place where no-one ever 'says' anything.

Gave up on that as it was 50% blue bigot rubbish, 40% green, 5% Neil lennon and 5% the rest. 

27 minutes ago, Peppino Impastato said:

The fans that really deserve success are the ones that continue to turn out in large numbers despite a long period of no success.  Newcastle is the best example of this, they really deserve an fa cup or something.

Sevco?

Good old Willie Miller. The 'quality'.

"There's not a great deal Motherwell can do about that - it's just quality. "

It’s not just our old firm loving halfwits. I watched the playoff match won by Exeter on Sky the other night and the commentator roared “Exeter have reached the final and will play at the greatest football stadium on the planet” ffs

1 minute ago, 7-2 said:

It's unfortunately now the preferred style of broadcasting. Hyperbole and screaming pre-written soundbites for editing and using later. It's horrific stuff.

John Motson recently claimed that his "the crazy gang have beaten the culture club" in the 1988 FA Cup final wasn't premeditated.......aye right then John!

1 minute ago, sjc said:

John Motson recently claimed that his "the crazy gang have beaten the culture club" in the 1988 FA Cup final wasn't premeditated.......aye right then John!

In fairness the doddery old bugger probably doesn't remember 1988 at all.

2 minutes ago, 7-2 said:

In fairness the doddery old bugger probably doesn't remember 1988 at all.

As decent a commentator as he was, he turned into a caricature of himself by constantly spewing out pointless stats.

Made me long for the days of Moore or Coleman just to tell us the surname of the guy on the fucking ball!

7 minutes ago, sjc said:

As decent a commentator as he was, he turned into a caricature of himself by constantly spewing out pointless stats.

Made me long for the days of Moore or Coleman just to tell us the surname of the guy on the fucking ball!

Absolutely spot on. Moore was the best of the lot imho.

Can't remember which one but there was a programme on recently where someone was bemoaning commentators having built their part up and giving their opinion on everything.  As was said, I don't want to know what some journo or broadcaster thinks. I can see what happened so I'll make my own mind up. 

13 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

The more fans you have equals more money going into the club which means clubs should if managed properly be able to finish in a position relative to their fan base.

Of course it doesn’t always work that way and good management of smaller clubs has them punching above their weight and bad management of bigger clubs has them way below where they should be.

Arbroath for a part time team with average crowds of 750-800 should be around about where we are now. I said that when we were in League 2 aswell, we should have been in League 1 in and around the play offs like we are now.

It’s not a given but it can be used as a measure

So the individual fans who attach themselves to something, are more deserving of success than those who attach themselves otherwise?

The Celtic fan who lives across the road from me is entitled to success that I'm not?

Really?

5 hours ago, sjc said:

Motson was never a good commentator. He was a bell end. Absolutely delighted the old p***k has retired 

So the individual fans who attach themselves to something, are more deserving of success than those who attach themselves otherwise?
The Celtic fan who lives across the road from me is entitled to success that I'm not?
Really?

You know what I mean.

Motson was never a good commentator. He was a bell end. Absolutely delighted the old p***k has retired 

Always liked him, usually commentating on the big tournament games, bit of an iconic commentary voice for me growing up.

12 hours ago, Peppino Impastato said:

The fans that really deserve success are the ones that continue to turn out in large numbers despite a long period of no success.  Newcastle is the best example of this, they really deserve an fa cup or something.

How does one "turn out in large numbers"?

As far as I know it is impossible to multiply into more than one person when going to a football match.

Please change your team as well. Moronic twat.

Edited by Szamo's_Ammo

15 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Thats a completely different thing to saying "fans of bigger clubs deserve more success" though, I think/hope you've just put it across wrong in your earlier post.

my understanding is that fans of bigger clubs might well expect that their club should outperform its smaller competitors, all else being equal.

The word "deserve" imports a moral dimension that has no place here.

To my mind, the average montrose or brechin season ticket holder "deserves" to  see their team win the league way more than i do.

On the other hand, i have a much greater right to expect my team to win the league. We don't deserve f**k all though.