The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

I’ve not read every report written about yesterday’s Dundee v Thistle game, but all the ones I have don’t accurately reflect what happened at Thistle’s goal.

They claim that Thistle’s goal came from Ryan Edwards heading it down - despite it being a clear handball from Cammy Kerr that punched it towards Sammon. Willie Collum even waived advantage as he gave the goal (meaning it would have been a penalty if the ball hadn’t found the net).

Even if they didn’t see it in real-time (although I’m unsure why - it was as blatant as you can get) surely the appeals followed by the clear outstretching of Collum’s arms should have told them there was definitely more to it than a simple knock-down?

EDIT: for the record, as I wrote this, I hadn’t yet read our official report. But I’m sorry to say that @rumple seems to have not noticed it either. Given his usual excellent standards, maybe I’m being harsh on the rest of the the press and it wasn’t as easy to spot from the where the press box is? 

Edited by The Master

BBC match report on Dumbarton putting the best team in Wales back in their box: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43097771

The Welsh Premier League side threw everything at the visitors in the final few minutes and Brobbel had a close-range header blocked by Darren Barr, but they could not find a way through.

That'll be Darren Barr who plays for Stirling Albion.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/2245492/queen-of-the-south-1-morton-1-stephen-dobbie/

The headline 'Over the Line'.
'Wonder goal not given'.
'Appeared to cross the line'.

Followed by manager quotes that say it didn't and in fact, it didn't.
Several quotes. How many times did they have to tell the same story in one article?

11 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Does Rob MacLean tweeting "salma hayek" instead is searching for her count? 

Strong conversations with his wife coming up.. 

Coverage of Scottish football would probably improve if the press spent more time masturbating over ladies instead of succulent lamb.

Big Saturday afternoon in the Scottish Premiership and the BBC thinks League Two is more important, while a game between third-top and fifth bottom of the Spanish League is worth a minute-by-minute live analysis.

Screen Shot 2018-02-24 at 15.35.03.png

Edited by Mr Heliums

Untitled.jpg.b9e5f7f0c6ae5b7c0ffea84ee0173234.jpg

This is just the latest example of misleading journalism that does my head in. The fact County had 10 men is irrelevant as Saints had cuffed them with 11 and the red card came in the 85th minute with the game well and truly won.  They love shoving in the 10-man bit in a headline though no matter the circumstances.

On 23/02/2018 at 20:22, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

From this month's World Soccer. "Celtic - who provide most of Scotland's players"IMG_20180223_202032.jpg

I'm a big fan of World Soccer generally, but I've never been keen on their Scottish coverage.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm being unfair on that because it's articles tailored to a non-Scottish audience so of course they're not going to be as appealing to Scottish football obsessives, but when you see articles like that riddled with inaccuracies you have to conclude they're just churning out poor quality journalism with little to no research.

6 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

I'm a big fan of World Soccer generally, but I've never been keen on their Scottish coverage.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm being unfair on that because it's articles tailored to a non-Scottish audience so of course they're not going to be as appealing to Scottish football obsessives, but when you see articles like that riddled with inaccuracies you have to conclude they're just churning out poor quality journalism with little to no research.

Yes.  The likelihood is that much of their coverage is similar, but you don't notice because you lack the insight that you bring when considering the Scottish articles.  

I often find that with all sorts of media stuff.  I generally like it and find it informative, until a subject is tackled that I actually know something about.  Then it looks a bit different. 

A fun little detour to South of the border after the car's bluetooth connection dropping led me to hearing some of the vile little troll that is Adrian Durham last night.  I know what he's trying to do, and I hate to rise to it, but one of his fishing lines last night was particularly egregious.

I came in late to the topic, and they were talking about VAR, I presume because something happened in the Caribou (or whatever it is) Cup at the weekend.  He started talking about a goal last season where someone scored from the halfway line and then went over to the bench to produce a shirt with a players name on the back whose father had died the previous day.  Nice tribute.  Great.  Durham then started to outline how he feared for situations like this if VAR came in.  What if, he mewled, VAR found that there was something wrong with that goal?  What happens if that tribute has to be cut short because someone saw something wrong and the goal was disallowed?  He finished by calling for the "human touch" to come back, and that in situations like that, goals should just be allowed because stopping such tributes would be disrespectful.

I know he's fishing, and, as the Guardian described him apparently, an "expert phone-in troll, arrogantly spouting inflammatory football opinions in the hope of prompting some indignant phone rage from an uppity fans", but this really was quite something.