The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

7 hours ago, The Master said:

An article by the BBC's "Sport Editor" on a potential Winter Break for the English Premier League and not even a passing mention of the fact that another UK league already does this. Instead, the winter breaks in Germany, France, Italy and Spain are mentioned.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42954835

You don't cite something that Scotland does unless you're assembling evidence about why it's a bad idea. Football is dead up there, dontchano  :rolleyes:

8 hours ago, The Master said:

An article by the BBC's "Sport Editor" on a potential Winter Break for the English Premier League and not even a passing mention of the fact that another UK league already does this. Instead, the winter breaks in Germany, France, Italy and Spain are mentioned.

To me that seems like sensible journalism.  Make comparisons with your peers.  Terrible Journalism would be making comparisons with a league from a country with 11 times your population.

3 minutes ago, thisal said:

To me that seems like sensible journalism.  Make comparisons with your peers.  Terrible Journalism would be making comparisons with a league from a country with 11 times your population.

I didn't say he should use our league as a comparison. But don't you think it's relevant to at least mention that another UK-based league operates a winter break? 

Especially in an article written by the supposed BBC Sport Editor (not "BBC England Sport Editor"). 

14 minutes ago, thisal said:

What on earth does population have to do with a winter break? Surely it's more appropriate to compare with Scotland or Denmark who have similar climates to England than Mediterranean Spain and Italy.

26 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

What on earth does population have to do with a winter break? Surely it's more appropriate to compare with Scotland or Denmark who have similar climates to England than Mediterranean Spain and Italy.

Because it's not about weather , it's about giving the players a break.

37 minutes ago, The Master said:

I didn't say he should use our league as a comparison. But don't you think it's relevant to at least mention that another UK-based league operates a winter break? 

Especially in an article written by the supposed BBC Sport Editor (not "BBC England Sport Editor"). 

He probably genuinely doesn't know we have one.

19 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

And what does that have to do with population?

Because it makes more sense to look at  what benefits your peers and competitors than it does to countries that don't compete with you. Do you think it's coincidence that the biggest leagues in western Europe come from the countries with the biggest populations?

10 hours ago, The Master said:

Noticed it too - and it does fit into a pattern on the BBC generally. This isn't intended as a "biased BBC" rant -  there are countless times on the news where something is being considered for England that have been in operation in Scotland (or Wales/NI) for a while that don't even get a passing mention. I've never seen this as conscious bias but merely a profound ignorance of what happens elsewhere in the UK. I also think that that many who work for the central BBC, see it as a de facto BBC England.

On the specific case of the winter break - looking at how Rangers and Celtic treat the winter break in Scotland (ie - trying to dovetail warm weather training with a money spinning friendly or two) would be as illustrative as to what English clubs would do as a comparison with Spain would be....

2 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

He probably genuinely doesn't know we have one.

Spot on 1.

1 hour ago, Swello said:

Noticed it too - and it does fit into a pattern on the BBC generally. This isn't intended as a "biased BBC" rant -  there are countless times on the news where something is being considered for England that have been in operation in Scotland (or Wales/NI) for a while that don't even get a passing mention. I've never seen this as conscious bias but merely a profound ignorance of what happens elsewhere in the UK. I also think that that many who work for the central BBC, see it as a de facto BBC England.

On the specific case of the winter break - looking at how Rangers and Celtic treat the winter break in Scotland (ie - trying to dovetail warm weather training with a money spinning friendly or two) would be as illustrative as to what English clubs would do as a comparison with Spain would be....

Spot on 2.

The piece isn't terrible at all. It's on the main/English site and in context.  The English generally only reference countries they see as immediate competitors and we aren't seen as one of them but the listed countries are. The only small country that they see as worthy of mention is New Zealand at rugby for obvious reasons. It's an approach people generally take. How often do we directly reference our game to Wales or the Irelands? How many times has Celtic's domination been compared to TNS's as opposed to bigger, mainland European countries?

Without getting the soap box fully out, the English generally have a terrible knowledge of the rest of the UK, so much that I really wonder what they're taught about it at school. I experience it down here frequently.  More lightheartedly, it's classic when an English person is asked a question about Scotland on most tv quizes. They freeze, the colour drains from their face and is followed with either a long pause or something like 'oh, Scotland. er...'.  :wacko:

53 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:
2 hours ago, thisal said:
Because it's not about weather , it's about giving the players a break.

"Glamour friendlies" announced within a week of a winter break being accepted. Covered by the same TV Companies that will have no Premier League action to show for those 2/3 weeks.

All I said was there was nothing wrong with the press comparing the EPL with like for like leagues rather than  Scotland. It was actually more of a dig the press in Scotland always comparing us with England.

Friendlies in between training in the sun. Hardly comparable with playing competitive games.

Right you're all starting to bore me now. Think for yourselves ffs.

6 hours ago, 7-2 said:

More lightheartedly, it's classic when an English person is asked a question about Scotland on most tv quizes. They freeze, the colour drains from their face and is followed with either a long pause or something like 'oh, Scotland. er...'.  :wacko:

Occasionally makes me feel clever and smug when I watch Pointless. To be fair to the English, I know next to f**k all about Wales and Northern Ireland.

17 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Sun Tzu was Japanese, apparently.

"Ken whit'll make me look really clever? Quoting 'The Art of War'."

"Ye read it?"

"Have a f**k, I'll just go on Wikiquote. "

"Will that no look a bit daft, if ye know nothing about him?"

"Some Japanese lad wiz he no?"